Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2013 V8 Vantage manual stall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 11:25 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I have experienced this 5 times in 2 months of driving. Each time while stopped, clutch in and at idle. I thought maybe the first couple times I must have done something [because I didn't even realize anything until I went to take off and letting out the clutch didn't do anything, the stereo is just too good in this car to hear the engine die], but each consecutive time it's become apparent it's just turning itself off.

Is there a consensus of a cause for the stalling while stopped?

Old 11-27-2016, 11:32 PM
irvineboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aaron01845
Sad to report that the new engine didn't solve the problem. The stalling continued and no one was able to get to the root of the problem. So I traded the Vantage for a pre-owned DBS and couldn't be happier! Well, except for the nearly $50k I'm out in depreciation...

Aaron, I'm interested in hearing your comparison of the two cars.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:25 AM
PK_Vantage is on a distinguished road
It didn't happen for a couple of months but it stalled again today

This time it happened in mid traffic. Going in 3rd gear and traffic in front slowed down so I slowed too. Tech needle was showing about 1.5K RPM when I fully depressed the clutch and ready to down shift into 2nd gear. And there it happened! While still in neutral (clutch was still fully depressed at this moment), lights and icons of all different colors lit up in the instrument cluster and message showing ENGINE STALLED pop up while steering wheel went heavy so I quickly put on the hazard lights and muscled the steering wheel and slowly pull to the side of the road to restart the engine (of course with cars behind all honking at me and yet laughing to see a disabled Aston Martin).

My car was at the dealer for maintenance service in Dec last year. I did bring up this engine stalling issue to the service writer at that time and his reaction was all very much surprised as if that was the first time he ever heard of a stalled V8 Vantage (I'm sure it wasn't). I didn't press on at that time since it didn't seem like that will help me solve anything at that moment.

All previous times when the engine stalled it all happened while the car is going at a very low speed and while in the parking lot. But this time, it's in the middle of a street while doing normal traffic speed. No Bueno!!

I'm starting to get a little concerned. Car is my daily so I know it will happen again. But how do I prove to my dealer since it happens all very randomly and out of the blue.

Any thoughts or advice?? TIA

Last edited by PK_Vantage; 03-07-2017 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:38 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PK_Vantage
It didn't happen for a couple of months but it stalled again today

This time it happened in mid traffic. Going in 3rd gear and traffic in front slowed down so I slowed too. Tech needle was showing about 1.5K RPM when I fully depressed the clutch and ready to down shift into 2nd gear. And there it happened! While still in neutral (clutch was still fully depressed at this moment), lights and icons of all different colors lit up in the instrument cluster and message showing ENGINE STALLED pop up while steering wheel went heavy so I quickly put on the hazard lights and muscled the steering wheel and slowly pull to the side of the road to restart the engine (of course with cars behind all honking at me and yet laughing to see a disabled Aston Martin).

My car was at the dealer for maintenance service in Dec last year. I did bring up this engine stalling issue to the service writer at that time and his reaction was all very much surprised as if that was the first time he ever heard of a stalled V8 Vantage (I'm sure it wasn't). I didn't press on at that time since it didn't seem like that will help me solve anything at that moment.

All previous times when the engine stalled it all happened while the car is going at a very low speed and while in the parking lot. But this time, it's in the middle of a street while doing normal traffic speed. No Bueno!!

I'm starting to get a little concerned. Car is my daily so I know it will happen again. But how do I prove to my dealer since it happens all very randomly and out of the blue.

Any thoughts or advice?? TIA
Wow, that is not a good problem to have, Who is your dealer? I would call them, and get the car in has soon has possible. They should be able to find a code on the ECU, as long has you have not restarted the car too many times, or too much time has passed. I would hope that what I am stating here is correct.
Ron

Old 03-07-2017, 12:19 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Mine has been good for a month now, but my biggest suggestion would be how you handle the stall. Forget the flashers and pulling over, anywhere. Kick it in neutral, clutch out, pop out the key, slam the clutch to the floor, followed by the key to start. Get the car started and drop it in the right gear and take off. It's about 4 seconds total. Panic is not your friend when stalling in traffic. Calmly but quickly, restart the car with minimal disruption to the traffic around you.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:57 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Having it happen at a stop light is day and night different from it happening in moving traffic at any speed. That is a bona fide safety hazard if you don't think and handle it right.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:08 PM
Exactly.It is absolutely a safety issue that has made me make some changes in how I drive.

The first time it happened moving I was just turning into an illegal U turn with traffic coming. The traffic wasn't an issue, I'd have been on the gas and long gone before they got close, except it stalled as soon as I started making the turn. I definitely panicked a bit and it took me longer to get it refired and back on the gas. The second time it happened I was in a left turn lane following a minivan doing 25 and I felt the steering go heavy. Neutral, pop the key while I clutch out, slam to floor and slam the key to quickstart, and dropped it into second gear in the middle of the turn. I lost no ground on the minivan and the car behind me probably had no clue it happened. No panic, just refire the car.

That doesn't mean stop trying to find out the WTF is my car stalling [hoping mine was the misfire corrections from the VAP lightweight flywheel] but as mine is a DD also I understand that it may [will] probably happen again, I now don't make U turns into oncoming traffic, and I'm mentally prepared to refire the car as quickly as possible.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:11 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
sounds like the exact same thing that happened to me last time, at the time I couldn't even fire it right back up either, pretty terrifying. car is going in for service tmr at an indy shop with an AM mechanic so will def pick his brains on the matter.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:47 PM
2014V8V is on a distinguished road
I had this problem for a few months when I first got my new 2014 V8V in late 2014 and early 2015. What I found was that the stalling only happened when I was riding the clutch depressed coasting. Since then, I have tried to keep the clutch depressed sparingly and if I need to coast I ride in neutral without foot on clutch. So far (say for last year and a half), I have not had the stalling issue any more.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:47 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 2014V8V
I had this problem for a few months when I first got my new 2014 V8V in late 2014 and early 2015. What I found was that the stalling only happened when I was riding the clutch depressed coasting. Since then, I have tried to keep the clutch depressed sparingly and if I need to coast I ride in neutral without foot on clutch. So far (say for last year and a half), I have not had the stalling issue any more.
You might still have a problem. Keeping your foot off the clutch while coasting (excellent idea btw) means the the engine revs does not drop to idle. It appears that the problem has something to do with the idle control valve or the vehicles ecu.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:10 PM
shootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura aboutshootermcgav1n has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by embdenb
You might still have a problem. Keeping your foot off the clutch while coasting (excellent idea btw) means the the engine revs does not drop to idle. It appears that the problem has something to do with the idle control valve or the vehicles ecu.
i'm with you, i've had this happen when i was coasting in neutral.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:34 AM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Just happened to me, put in neutral at 50mph coming up to a light and the car stalled. Was able to pull in a parking lot and restart right away but turning without power steering was a little stiff! car is a 2014 v8 vantage with 5500 miles, tank was just over half full.

Will keep this in mind if it happens again. http://www.redpants.lol/blog/2015/12/1/the-infamous-v8-vantage-stalling-problem

eta: I think it happened right as I hit the clutch and shifted to neutral from fourth. I always release clutch after shifting to neutral anyway but maybe I held it longer than I normally do as mentioned above.

Last edited by MikeR397; 08-06-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:07 PM
It's not the EVAP in the tank. You have the standard stall off idle many of us do. It doesn't always work but mentally practice a restarting routine while rolling so the next time you're prepared. Most of the time mine will but I've had it twice where it would not refire until I came to a complete stop.

Mathman seems to be having good luck with the software update he's testing. Here's hoping it continues.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:36 AM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by HabitualOffender
It's not the EVAP in the tank. You have the standard stall off idle many of us do. It doesn't always work but mentally practice a restarting routine while rolling so the next time you're prepared. Most of the time mine will but I've had it twice where it would not refire until I came to a complete stop.

Mathman seems to be having good luck with the software update he's testing. Here's hoping it continues.
ya I figure i would try restarting while still rolling if it happens again. I guess it's manageable but for someone not strong enough to turn the car without power steering this is a real concern.

Also, this shocked me so much when it happened, and I don't remember having and issue, but I presume braking performance is massively reduced as well when it stalls at speed?

Old 08-07-2017, 10:45 AM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
I would not say braking performance is massively reduced. The brake pedal only feels a little heavier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2013 V8 Vantage manual stall