Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2013 V8 Vantage manual stall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 01:34 PM
davidm17 is on a distinguished road
A lot of brake boosters operate off vacuum. No engine, no vacuum (though the boosters can "store" vacuum). Don't know for sure if the vantage uses vacuum, but if it does then you will get a much heavier pedal after initial application.

When I'm coming to a stop light or stop sign I leave the car in gear until the revs drop and I'm almost stopped. Just the way I've always driven. Seem to be several different situations where the stall can occur, though. I have not had it happen to me.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:56 PM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
As I said, the pedal gets heavier (because it is vacuum assisted), but it's not drastically more difficult to stop the car. I'm all of 157lbs, so I'm betting most owners can do it just fine.

And +1 to leaving it in gear until almost stopped (this has been how I've prevented most stalls, historically), but the ones that I couldn't adjust for are when it'd happen while inching forward in traffic (feather clutch to move up a bit, push clutch down, stall for no good reason) or while driving aggressively (hard on the brakes, clutch in while preparing to downshift, stall). As HabitualOffender said, though, I'm having a good experience with a new software flash that changed some of my fuel maps to prevent the revs from dipping too low when coming off throttle. It hasn't stalled since (except when I stalled it backing into my garage with too little throttle so as not to wake my neighbors... nothing software can do to remedy user error, there).

Old 08-07-2017, 02:01 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I've followed your lead and pretty much either just leave it in gear or always blip the throttle downshifting to eliminate all but the ones you cannot control. But when they install the data logger I'll have to go back to driving as I used to or there won't be as much data to log.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:01 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
For anyone that wants to try it, I think we've found some ECU alterations that will help prevent this. Can be installed along with our regular tuning.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 08-07-2017, 06:28 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Please take no offense but this is a corporate problem that needs to be solved by AM and all affected cars need to be recalled as the ASM cars are. Unless you're offering this as a no charge install to determine if it does or does not solve our stalling issues, that would be of service. Otherwise I have no desire to pay $1500 for an ECU tune I don't want to experiment if you have a solution to the stalling.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:30 PM
powerbeautysoulAM is on a distinguished road
As someone considering a AM for awhile now, this would prevent me from picking up one. Is it just the 2013 V8 Vantages or are other years affected?

Does this happen to the other manual cars like the DBS?

Old 08-08-2017, 12:05 AM
I think if everybody that has this stalling problem filled a NHTSA complaint AM would have been forced to find a solution and do a recall long ago. There was a gentleman in another thread [there are several of these threads and which one we converse in is whichever gets bumped at any time] a few weeks ago with IIRC an 07' 4.3 with the problem. I'm not sure any year is immune, only the frequency of the stalls. Exacerbating the problem is some cars are driven 500 miles a year and it may be 2 years before they realized their car stalled for no good reason. The first several times mine did I thought it must have been my fault, getting used to a very different car. And if it only stalls on you once a year it may not aggravate you, or put you in a dangerous situation, so complaints don't get filled. I haven't even filled one and my car has tried to kill me.

Somebody in this thread bought a DB9 and considered it a death trap, sold it back to the dealer and posted in about every complaint thread, so I'm not really positive if his complaint is mine.

The ASM cars also have a stalling problem which requires a software update but AM just announced a recall of the 1600 cars they say are affected.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:54 AM
Mathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of lightMathman85 is a glorious beacon of light
As for filing an NHTSA complaint, the NHTSA is most focused on large manufacturers... Aston Martin produces such a low volume of cars that I'd be surprised if they did anything at all. But the fact that AM has been working with you and I to figure it out suggests that they do care to solve it.

The recall for the sportshift cars is why I contacted AM--I suspect the issue is fundamentally the fuel maps. But the sportshift recall also incorporates a hardware replacement (a hydraulic line), jsyk.

Originally Posted by powerbeautysoulAM
As someone considering a AM for awhile now, this would prevent me from picking up one. Is it just the 2013 V8 Vantages or are other years affected?

If it was a hugely prolific problem, Aston Martin would've been able to isolate it and resolve it. It does not affect every car and the problem is that it's so intermittent for the cars it affects (with some exceptions) that the dealerships cannot replicate it to be able to diagnose. In my case, it has happened no more than a dozen times over 13k miles. Definitely not a common enough problem to justify not buying an Aston Martin.

And it does not seem to have anything to do with model year.

Last edited by Mathman85; 08-08-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:20 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy they are finally involved in the search for a solution, because if they weren't my car would likely be somebody elses problem by now. I was on the edge of that decision the last time it tried to kill me right before they announced the ASM recall.

It says they're going to replace the pipe connectors during the recall, but doesn't say that is part of the reason for the recall. The recall was for the software and to make sure the bite point was relearned.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN19B227

As for the numbers, if they were making 3000 V8's a year [which I'm not sure they were in the 10-13 range], let's call that 9000 cars, 2/3 of which are ASM, about 6000, of which 1600 are being recalled. As a percentage that is over 26%. You would hope NHTSA would look at a percentage of complaints to units sold instead of a total number. If a manufacturer sells 1000 cars and they get complaints on 250 of an issue that can put the driver in a dangerous situation, you would hope they'd connect the dots. But then again, it is a government agency. But since almost none of us file a complaint we'll never know.

In your dozen stalls, if it had put you into a dangerous situation you may have a different perspective on how serious the problem can potentially be. A purchase of any model that can potentially put you in a dangerous situation should be carefully considered. In all my pre-purchase research I never came across anything that alerted me of the possibility, and it's surely not in the definitive guide. Now I'm aware of at least 3 current threads which seem to attract more and more one timers that will pop in to say theirs just stalled, or convey a story of a dangerous situation it put them in. It's not every car, probably, but it's enough to be of concern to anybody considering the purchase of an expensive car that may try and kill you.

All of this will be moot if the solution is found and implemented.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:24 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
So i had my car stall this morning for just a split second, freaked me the **** out. I was going up a moderate incline hill in second gear around 2500RPM and it was like the car just died for a split second when I gave it some gas, enough to jerk the car but it kept going...
anyone had this happen? Any solutions? Car has been flawless for the most part in over 6k miles of driving, I can only think of one other time that it did this (2 years ago) and it was not as severe (lower gear, might have been a clutch slip for all I know)

Is this something I need to worry about or is it just a one off sort of thing? 2010, manual 4.7L

Old 03-15-2019, 11:36 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
It happen to me a couple of time but usually while decelerating to a light as the rpm seems to go below the norm and stall... I thought it was me but after reading a few post from others it seems to be the car... I would say just keep an eye on it

Old 03-15-2019, 12:12 PM
Many of these cars stall off gas, mine has been much better with the new engine but I had the exact same thing happen while driving on throttle once. It was almost like I stomped the brake a second and then right back to normal. Traction control always off so it wasn't the nannies acting up.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:19 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Which Aston Martin dealer is doing the service?

My 11 V8V would stall, did not matter how careful I was. Totally random. For sure in reverse, but that common. My car would start up fine right after and dealer thought engine was running fine.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:21 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by powerbeautysoulAM

It shouldn't stop you from buying one. It doesn't happen that often. I don't believe there is the same issue on the V12 manual models.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:41 PM
smdzucladoc is on a distinguished road
I had this issue about 6 months before warranty ended. Car was in and out of dealer and they kept trying to fix it even after warranty expired. My dealer went to bat for me pretty well so shout out to AM San diego and my tech Graham.

For my car, typically the stalling issue after the car has been driven for awhile and the engine was nice and hot. It would happen when the car is coasting down usually when clutch is in or in netural gear.

A bunch of things were changed including new battery, brake pedal switch, key housing, throttle body.

When I went to the vanatge reveal at AM NA headquarter I spoke about the issue. Eventually they replaced my throttle body with a prior batch one. It has beem exactly 1 year since the switch with about 2000 miles driven and I have not had the issue at all. Maybe this can help you guys with direction to go. I can see what the part number of my current TB if anyone is curious.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2013 V8 Vantage manual stall