6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   2013 V8 Vantage manual stall (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/333040-2013-v8-vantage-manual-stall.html)

aaron01845 03-31-2014 02:00 PM

2013 V8 Vantage manual stall

Just wanted to share with folks in case it's helpful, because I've had difficulty finding information myself.

Bought a 2013 Vantage just under a year ago, and have experienced intermittent stalling. Mostly it was when I was coasting to a stop at an intersection and the shift was in neutral, gears disengaged. I'd be slowing to a stop, and suddenly the dash would light up like a Christmas tree, the wheel would lock up and that would be all she wrote. I'd have to remove and reinsert the key sometimes 3 or 4 times to get the engine to start up again.

Anyway, I mentioned it to the dealer when I brought it in for service/winter storage but they were unable to replicate the problem. Makes sense since it only occurred only once or twice every 2 weeks while commuting to the office and back, but that was more than enough to make me wary every time I approached a red light or stop sign. They did tell me, however, that they heard an odd ticking sound coming from the engine while idling.

Anyway, bottom line, they're replacing the engine in its entirety. The new assembly is on its way from the UK and should be installed in a couple weeks.

I posted this because when the problem first started occurring I noticed a number of posts online about V8 Vantages stalling from time to time but ever came across any definitive answer to explain the condition. I still don't know what the answer is, but plan to find out when I pick the car up and follow up with the results.

Jay_Davis 03-31-2014 05:40 PM

If you go back, you'll see a number of threads on the topic in different forums. The bottom line was that there wasn't one cause. Some, such as mine, was fixed with a software update, other were fixed by replacing the fuel tank, and so on.

Then must have spotted something real in yours for them to just replace the whole engine. They usually don't do that on a guess.

telum01 03-31-2014 05:43 PM

That's incredible that they'd replace the engine. I've had the problem with mine and a software update mostly fixed it, but it's happened once or twice since then. It's a fairly common problem, and for them to replace an engine is quite interesting. Imagine the hit they'd take if they replaced the engines of everyone that's had the stalling issue!

karlfranz 03-31-2014 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by telum01 (Post 4080919)
Imagine the hit they'd take if they replaced the engines of everyone that's had the stalling issue!

I'd imagine it would still be a much smaller hit than Porsche is facing now that they will be replacing the engines on all the 991 GT3s. :D

telum01 03-31-2014 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by karlfranz (Post 4080968)
I'd imagine it would still be a much smaller hit than Porsche is facing now that they will be replacing the engines on all the 991 GT3s. :D

Haha at least the GT3 is in early production! But I can't imagine they're too happy about that one

Yangpei 03-31-2014 08:37 PM

When I had my 2011 V8V N420 6 speed, it used to stall occasionally as you describe. It would usually happen at a stop sign / traffic light when I was slowing / stopping and let off the gas pedal. If I gave it a little gas making it idle at a slightly higher RPM, it didn't seem to stall. But, it definitely made for some stressful situations by stalling in intersections / merging into traffic . I asked the dealer about the stalling when I returned the car at the end of the lease, but he didn't have any answers.

aaron01845 08-25-2014 11:44 AM

Sad to report that the new engine didn't solve the problem. The stalling continued and no one was able to get to the root of the problem. So I traded the Vantage for a pre-owned DBS and couldn't be happier! Well, except for the nearly $50k I'm out in depreciation...

telum01 08-25-2014 11:49 AM

I've never heard of the problem actually being in the engine itself. The main thing I've seen is a recirc line in the gas tank sucking up fuel. That's just a matter of replacing a couple things in the gas tank. Not expensive, just a huge pain to do because you've got very little room to work - it's easy to access but you're basically working clamps on fuel hoses with a single hand.

Rnstern 12-19-2014 04:20 PM

Same oriblem

Same issue with my 2009 db9 stick. Wouldn't start for several minutes. AM would not spend the time to diagnose. No computer codes no problem..... Death trap. Sold back to the selling dealer and filed a NHTSA complaint

PK_Vantage 09-15-2016 05:47 PM

It happened to me too...

In the parking lot of a local grocery store today, it happened.

Car was going at speed of between 5 - 10 MPH with clutch fully depressed while moving gear lever from third to second gear (in anticipation of moving/picking up speed again) and bam! It happened. Car stalled. All instrument lights came on and steering wheel became heavy. Luckily there was no car behind me. Came to a full stop & quickly restarted the car and moved on. But the whole experience was kind of jarring. I've driven many MT cars before and never had this happened before.

Will this happen again? Should I be concerned?

I was lucky this happened in a parking lot with very few cars around. Can't imagine if it happened at a busy intersection during rush hours.....

Rnstern 09-15-2016 05:56 PM

I was criticized for posting this. I saw that AM actually replaced an engine. They wouldn't do it for me. They know the have a problem and are stonewalling. I think the issue is extremly dangerous.

deckman 09-15-2016 06:09 PM

It happened to me a couple times last summer but I don't remember it happening this year. The car has remarkably reliable!

impulsiv 09-15-2016 08:11 PM

happened to me 3-4 times the same day while in traffic (I'm rarely in traffic). Other than that day, it only happened once.

On another note, I've experienced the engine cutting entirely when accelerating from a stop. Not a misfire issue, just like the engine shutting off for a fraction of a second. Happened like 5 random times in 3k kms. Very sporadic...

koolkat1973 09-16-2016 06:15 AM

The exact thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I think it's happened to me twice since owning this car for the past 2 years.

handyman2009 09-16-2016 07:35 PM

It happen to me for the second time this summer only a week ago the last time, waiting at the light and BAM engine off. It restarted right away with no issue and back on my way... it was weird as if I depress the key to turn the car off. But this was only the second time it happen, the first time I thought it was me that stalled it but no... I drive in traffic all the time so I should count myself lucky that it doesn't happen more often