Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models
View Poll Results: Is the Manual Transmission a deal-breaker for buying a V12VS?
Yes it is. I am a prospective V12VS buyer and I would only buy with a manual
75.00%
No, I am a prospective V12VS buyer and I would prefer manual but would buy a paddle shift car
21.88%
No, I am a prospective V12VS buyer and I would prefer a paddle shift gearbox
3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

V12 Vantage S (V12VS) Manual Transmission For North America

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
I really enjoy using a manual. Except on a track (where I also enjoy using a manual 'box), I get little pleasure using paddle 'boxes of any kind. It's that simple.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:48 PM
V12V will become famous soon enough
I'm curious. Have any of the seven of you who voted you would buy the paddle shift car ordered one? For that matter has anyone here ordered a V12VS?

Old 04-21-2014, 12:57 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by V12V
I'm curious. Have any of the seven of you who voted you would buy the paddle shift car ordered one? For that matter has anyone here ordered a V12VS?
I voted for Option 2 with the twist: I'd consider buying the car if it had a GOOD paddle shift transmission. As this does not appear to be the case, I wouldn't buy the car. FWIW, I wouldn't buy the car now with a manual either right now as I'm not in the market for a new car.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:14 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by V12V
I voted option 2 as well. I would not buy the car with the transmission it has today. I owned the SportShift and SporthShift II so I'm very familiar with the pros and cons. I was "ok" with the trans in a 100k car but in a 200k car there is no way. If they would have announced a manual or a better trans I would have seriously considered the V12VS. I instead will be getting a GT3RS once it's out and my allocation is available.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:23 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I guess I need to remove my vote since I am buying a GT (partly because it is offered with a manual), so buying a V12VS is no longer a concern.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:38 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by RossL
I voted option 2 as well. I would not buy the car with the transmission it has today. I owned the SportShift and SporthShift II so I'm very familiar with the pros and cons. I was "ok" with the trans in a 100k car but in a 200k car there is no way. If they would have announced a manual or a better trans I would have seriously considered the V12VS. I instead will be getting a GT3RS once it's out and my allocation is available.
I thought the V12VS comes with Sportshift III tranny...
Has anyone driven one and can comment on the transmission?
Any comparisons to the F1, say in a regular 430?

Old 04-22-2014, 03:12 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by plastique999
I thought the V12VS comes with Sportshift III tranny...
Has anyone driven one and can comment on the transmission?
Any comparisons to the F1, say in a regular 430?
I haven't personally driven one but pretty much every review out is the same as the SportShift II which leads me to believe it's a slightly improved SportShift which is far from even the base F430 F1.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:05 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by RossL
I haven't personally driven one but pretty much every review out is the same as the SportShift II which leads me to believe it's a slightly improved SportShift which is far from even the base F430 F1.
Gosh this sounds disappointing....though it's hard to compare to the F1 which is pretty much the gold standard of SCT IMO.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I've driven the V12VS on both the road and the track at all speeds up to about 160mph or so.

Meh.

The car is definitely fast and the steering feels nice and sharp. I also like the adjustable suspension as it was a smoother ride than my '07MY.

Another thing that is cool is that while you're braking you can just hold the downshift paddle and it will automatically drop through the gears one by one as your speed decreases so you are in the perfect gear when you go back on the throttle.

However, I tried the "D" mode and I almost threw up. I was wearing a helmet when I tried it because I was in pit lane at the time and it made my head feel like a slow-motion bobble-head as it shifted up from 1st to 2nd. Truly a nauseous feeling. I was warned that you probably never want to drive it in Automatic mode.

Also, contrary to everything I have always read, my driving instructor told me not to lift while shifting gears. The shifts were actually a little brutal and jarring. I guess this is how you get maximum shift speed. He said that if you lift while shifting up, it confuses the TCU which assumes you are going to coast or slow down and the shift then lags.

The reps from Aston all tried to convince me to give it a chance and that I would love it. Didn't work, though. I still prefer the manual.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by karlfranz
I've driven the V12VS on both the road and the track at all speeds up to about 160mph or so.

Meh.

The car is definitely fast and the steering feels nice and sharp. I also like the adjustable suspension as it was a smoother ride than my '07MY.

Another thing that is cool is that while you're braking you can just hold the downshift paddle and it will automatically drop through the gears one by one as your speed decreases so you are in the perfect gear when you go back on the throttle.

However, I tried the "D" mode and I almost threw up. I was wearing a helmet when I tried it because I was in pit lane at the time and it made my head feel like a slow-motion bobble-head as it shifted up from 1st to 2nd. Truly a nauseous feeling. I was warned that you probably never want to drive it in Automatic mode.

Also, contrary to everything I have always read, my driving instructor told me not to lift while shifting gears. The shifts were actually a little brutal and jarring. I guess this is how you get maximum shift speed. He said that if you lift while shifting up, it confuses the TCU which assumes you are going to coast or slow down and the shift then lags.

The reps from Aston all tried to convince me to give it a chance and that I would love it. Didn't work, though. I still prefer the manual.
Sounds like the SMG tranny on my old 08 M5. Shifts were brutal. But man was it fast.
I never drove it in auto either. Nor do I ever drive my 16M in auto.
Are the shifts slow as I've heard?