Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Did you compromise on driving dynamics to get a vantage?

Old 05-21-2014, 09:34 AM
tko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the roughtko211 is a jewel in the rough
I think anyone who chooses to own an Aston is by effect choosing to be different. You will always find a better performance car for the money by looking somewhere else. You will always find a more equipped luxury car for the money by looking somewhere else. But Aston ownership is not about those things. It's about owning a car that says something about it's owner. Tasteful, elegant, timeless. It's not for everyone and I think we all prefer it that way.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:59 AM
Former Vendor
WLW@RSC will become famous soon enoughWLW@RSC will become famous soon enough
I think from a purely driving perspective Aston lacks the funding and the human resources to calibrate a drivetrain the way Porsche or VAG can. With that being said if you want the Aston you're always gonna want it so you might as well give it a try. We love our Vantage at RSC and its our second one.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:45 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Yes, I absolutely compromised by buying an Aston. Instead of buying a Lotus Exige and a Jaguar XJ, I bought a V8 Vantage. Is that a bad thing? Absolutely not. Rather than buying two cars that do two different things well, I bought one car that does both of them to the extent that I require. I don't need something as squishy as a Jag and I don't need something as harsh as a Lotus. My "compromise" was also my favorite option.

The way I look at it, I go to the track when I can but I never race - if I keep track of my lap times it's only for personal improvement, not comparison with anyone else. I'm not trying to set lap records or beat anyone else. I want a car I can enjoy regardless of situation. My V8V does just that. It is a perfect compromise between comfort and performance, and it's practical in many situations (and I have a 4WD 4Runner for those situations where an Aston isn't practical).

If I was splitting hairs to get the absolute best track car I could, I wouldn't have gotten an Aston. But it does perform beautifully when pushed and I have no reason to shy from a track with it, even if there are "better" options for a track car. If track times were that important, I'd build a dedicated track car.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:36 AM
baege is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by telum01
Yes, I absolutely compromised by buying an Aston. Instead of buying a Lotus Exige and a Jaguar XJ, I bought a V8 Vantage. Is that a bad thing? Absolutely not. Rather than buying two cars that do two different things well, I bought one car that does both of them to the extent that I require. I don't need something as squishy as a Jag and I don't need something as harsh as a Lotus. My "compromise" was also my favorite option.

The way I look at it, I go to the track when I can but I never race - if I keep track of my lap times it's only for personal improvement, not comparison with anyone else. I'm not trying to set lap records or beat anyone else. I want a car I can enjoy regardless of situation. My V8V does just that. It is a perfect compromise between comfort and performance, and it's practical in many situations (and I have a 4WD 4Runner for those situations where an Aston isn't practical).

If I was splitting hairs to get the absolute best track car I could, I wouldn't have gotten an Aston. But it does perform beautifully when pushed and I have no reason to shy from a track with it, even if there are "better" options for a track car. If track times were that important, I'd build a dedicated track car.

It's not about track times for me, it's about getting the greatest enjoyment out of a car day by day.
For me the vantage has an almost universally agreed upon beauty (which is rare), a real sense of occasion and a great sounding v8.
The car also has an intangible draw for me. I just want one.
My cayman lacks all of the above for me.
But what it has is a wonderful precision, a light tossable feel, a directness and connectedness and an energy to it that I didn't feel in the 2010 vantage I drove.
What I am struggling with is whether the pros of the vantage outweigh the pros of the cayman. Which car will bring me the greatest enjoyment as my only road car (but not one that is used for work commuting)?
If there was a car that offered the pros of the vantage along with the pros of the cayman, that would be it for me, but I don't see that on the market, within my 100kish budget, at least.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:09 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I completely understand.

I've tooled around in a number of cars (911 C2S and CaymanS included), and I always yearn for my Vantage. I just can't get myself to want anything else.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by baege
... My cayman lacks all of the above for me.
But what it has is a wonderful precision, a light tossable feel, a directness and connectedness and an energy to it that I didn't feel in the 2010 vantage I drove ...
Did the '10 V8V that you drove have the Sports Pack (apologies if this was already answered)? If not, then you must drive a Sports Pack car, because the difference in feel is considerable. It's not necessarily better or worse than a standard-suspension car, but given what you want dynamically, I'm confident you would prefer the Sports Pack. If the car you drove had it, then, well, the V8V is heavier than the Cayman...

There will always be cars that do certain things better than others, and as you say, what matters most is the overall package. For me, the V8V hits that sweet spot beautifully with its balance of dynamics, aesthetics (in and out), sound, feel, rarity and craftsmanship.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:07 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about

True to a point. Again, there are always trade offs with different cars at the track. those with less experience will favor a lighter car... its just the way it is. BUT, for a given high level of experience, the aston is better than most without many exceptions. certainly if I was going to race someone with equal ability, I would pick the aston over the cayman , without question. If I was going to run an enduro, I might want the cayman. Fastest lap times would come with the car with the better Hp/weight ratio which the aston has, and the best g loading capability, WHICH the aston has as well. (i.e. the 400lbs lighter weight of the cayman is offset with the 5" wider track, and lower CG, better balance of the Aston.) as a note, if you know racing, you are entertained to see these racing physics in action when in Australia, they run the Porsche GT3RS vs many other cars, one being the American V8 super cars in a 24hour race. Also look at road racing times of nascar vs porsches GTRS's at tracks where the configuration is the same... sears (old track), Watkins glen, etc)
The point here is that the aston is a formidable track car and at its HP /weight ratio, it can stand up against most any lesser costing car at the track. not to mention the ease at which the aston gets around the track too. its light steering and amazing brakes and balance, are noticeable from the very first lap the AMV8 runs.
The Aston is more on par with the Porsche 911 Carrera , and certainly above the exige and the cayman. I know very few that I race with that would disagree if having a choice to do a hot lap with the AMV8 vs others mentioned.
Again, much of this is personal preference, but in the end, if you are talking raw, measurable performance, the AMV8 has it over the cayman. you may not like the feel, or have the ability to take the car to its very limits, but its there and it is very capable, giving the owner no compromise in performance, and giving a level of beauty and feel that none of the cars discussed here have. Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:50 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
There's a reason that in many racing series the Vantage races in the same class as the 911 (and does quite well) and not the Cayman.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:03 AM
baege is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Speedraser
Did the '10 V8V that you drove have the Sports Pack (apologies if this was already answered)? If not, then you must drive a Sports Pack car, because the difference in feel is considerable. It's not necessarily better or worse than a standard-suspension car, but given what you want dynamically, I'm confident you would prefer the Sports Pack. If the car you drove had it, then, well, the V8V is heavier than the Cayman...

There will always be cars that do certain things better than others, and as you say, what matters most is the overall package. For me, the V8V hits that sweet spot beautifully with its balance of dynamics, aesthetics (in and out), sound, feel, rarity and craftsmanship.
I don't believe it did have the sport pack, but I am planning to drive a more recent S that I hope will give me a good sense of what the GT will offer in that area.
I hope it like it better because as I said there is no denying I simply want one. I just don't want to get one and then be disappointed with the drive and regret it. I think it makes sense to hold out for a car that I want and that offers the driving enjoyment my cayman does. I am hoping the vantage GT is that car.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:12 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
With all the seriousness about Aston V8V vs Cayman S, I decided to share a fun story.
In 2010 I was driving out of Yosemite in my '08 V8V and had a Bright Red Cayman right behind me. We were driving the speed limit of 55, and had a small pack of 3-cars in front of us. When I got room to pass, I was in 3rd and nailed it. The Cayman dropped in right behind me. As we both passed the 3-cars I glanced back and the Cayman was still right on my tail. Just then I noticed up in front, about 1/4 mile ahead, a Highway Patrol had a car stopped on the other side. I ducked back in lane and got pretty hard on my brakes, as did the Cayman behind me. A couple of miles further up, I pulled into a rest area and the Cayman followed me in. We both got out of our cars laughing so hard because we had "dodged a bullet" together. After shaking hands and introducing ourselves and before looking at his car I said, "The way you stayed on my tail, I sure hope that is an 'S' ". Yup it was. Then I said, "I was paying so much attention to passing, I didn't notice our speed", and he said, "The last time I glanced down it was 105 (Note: I had shifted out of 3rd at 100). I now know how fast the Cayman S is and I think Red is by far the fastest!

Old 05-25-2014, 02:51 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dicktahoe
With all the seriousness about Aston V8V vs Cayman S, I decided to share a fun story.
In 2010 I was driving out of Yosemite in my '08 V8V and had a Bright Red Cayman right behind me. We were driving the speed limit of 55, and had a small pack of 3-cars in front of us. When I got room to pass, I was in 3rd and nailed it. The Cayman dropped in right behind me. As we both passed the 3-cars I glanced back and the Cayman was still right on my tail. Just then I noticed up in front, about 1/4 mile ahead, a Highway Patrol had a car stopped on the other side. I ducked back in lane and got pretty hard on my brakes, as did the Cayman behind me. A couple of miles further up, I pulled into a rest area and the Cayman followed me in. We both got out of our cars laughing so hard because we had "dodged a bullet" together. After shaking hands and introducing ourselves and before looking at his car I said, "The way you stayed on my tail, I sure hope that is an 'S' ". Yup it was. Then I said, "I was paying so much attention to passing, I didn't notice our speed", and he said, "The last time I glanced down it was 105 (Note: I had shifted out of 3rd at 100). I now know how fast the Cayman S is and I think Red is by far the fastest!
I always chuckle at "street racing" or "performance comparison " stories. Yes, there are a lot of great cars on the road. ALL of them never get pushed on the streets like the track. manly, because its very dangerous. you think you push it, but you are not even close. I remember pushing my car so hard up some mountain roads near my house, to see if I had fender clearance for the race car's new tires and wheels. barely got even a slight rub. yet, a week later, 1st lap at the track, It rubbed so bad, the fender pushed the tire off the rim, breaking the bead!!!!!! The point is, even seasoned racers have a very hard time simulating pushing any car, on the street roads.

as was pointed out, there is a reason that they don't race the cayman against the vantage , unless it is modified to a much higher degree. equal prep, puts them against the 911.
Also, there is a reason that most racing oranizations classify the cars by HP to weight.... the rest of the characteristics are performance adders to the equations. (like tire width, overall weight, ride height, and overall car design). bottomline, the vantage has a wider track, which makes up for its heavier weight compared to the cayman in regards to handling capability. It also has a better HP/weight ratio, so it is a better performing car at the track, period. No two equal decent race drivers would want to contest a lap on a road course in the cayman vs the vantage. It's not to say it isn't a great car, its just not he performer of the Vantage, and doesn't have the easy upside for performance like the vantage. (easier to put on huge tires on the vantage, and bolt on 40hp instantly with the bolt on factory performance intake kit)

so, the title of this discussion is, "did I sacrifice performance? " the answer is a clear no. (vs a cayman and certainly very close to equal of a 911).

Old 05-26-2014, 07:38 AM
Not everything has to be shoehorned into a racetrack analysis

Old 05-26-2014, 07:49 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
"Street Racing" has been a sport since I was a teen-ager (back in the 50s!). My story above wasn't intended to be an example of Street Racing, I just decided to pass slower cars on an open stretch of highway and the Cayman S happened to be behind me--making it a fun story. It also used to be a fun sport to play "Cops and Speeders" back when cops had to pace and "clock" you before Radar gave them a significant advantage and took the fun out of the game.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Not everything has to be shoehorned into a racetrack analysis
it is when you are comparing raw performance of two cars... otherwise, its just a "feel" or preference.
Now, if it is feel , preference or looks you are into.... then, comparing a cayman vs a aston is valid. the cayman feels lighter , more nimble. more vision, easier to park. more dependable, better gas mileage, so by those metrics, it can "outperform" an Aston. BUT, if its real athletic performance we are talking about, that only can be seen by folks that know how to drive, and a place where they can be driven, then, yes, it has to be shoe horned into a track, before someone says that the "cayman, hands down, outperforms the Aston" which couldn't be more further from reality.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:27 PM
V12V will become famous soon enough
X: The original question was about street driving. Not track. Stock not modified. A new Cayman S vs. a V8. The cayman will be more than a match for the Aston period. An S or a new GT with a manual will perform better but will still feel large and heavy and be a bit slower compared to the cayman. We all agree he should compare the cayman to an S or the new GT. That should be the end of it and he can decide what he likes. Constantly trying to turn the discussion to the race track is pointless. Race prepared cars shouldn't even be brought up in the conversation. Neither car in stock form is a race car and that was never the question so give it up. This horse has been beat to death.
BTY if you are referring to the AM intake upgrade for a 4.3 V it produces 10 Hp not 40. But again, that is immaterial.
Finally, I've owned and tracked everything from Astons's to Ferrari's and I race a Viper so yes I've been to the track. I just don't bring it up in every conversation like you do.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Did you compromise on driving dynamics to get a vantage?