Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Did you compromise on driving dynamics to get a vantage?

Old 05-26-2014, 03:50 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by V12V
BTY if you are referring to the AM intake upgrade for a 4.3 V it produces 10 Hp not 40. But again, that is immaterial.
Power Pack adds 20 hp and ~9 tq. It's the same kit that I think was introduced on the N400. It bumps power from 380 hp up to 400 hp.

Old 05-26-2014, 04:10 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
This conversation has gone on for so long and gotten so far off track (no pun intended) that I had already forgotten what the original post was about. Re-reading the OP's message, I see he was considering a GT as a substitute to his Cayman S. I guess that's a moot point for now considering that Aston is not taking any more orders for the GT.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:41 PM
RudyP is on a distinguished road
To get back on topic: No I did not compromise on driving dynamics to get a Vantage - I have two Porsches also. If it were my only car, I'd say yes, but I am fortunate enough to be able to keep more than one. The Vantage isn't the one that I take to the track but it is the one I feel like driving tonight after getting home from a 4 day trip where I had to drive a POS rental.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:02 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
X: .... This horse has been beat to death....
Amen. I stopped responding because I knew where this was going. Every forum has the track expert. Don't feed the track expert

Old 05-27-2014, 01:38 AM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
X: The original question was about street driving. Not track. Stock not modified. A new Cayman S vs. a V8. The cayman will be more than a match for the Aston period. An S or a new GT with a manual will perform better but will still feel large and heavy and be a bit slower compared to the cayman. We all agree he should compare the cayman to an S or the new GT. That should be the end of it and he can decide what he likes. Constantly trying to turn the discussion to the race track is pointless. Race prepared cars shouldn't even be brought up in the conversation. Neither car in stock form is a race car and that was never the question so give it up. This horse has been beat to death.
BTY if you are referring to the AM intake upgrade for a 4.3 V it produces 10 Hp not 40. But again, that is immaterial.
Finally, I've owned and tracked everything from Astons's to Ferrari's and I race a Viper so yes I've been to the track. I just don't bring it up in every conversation like you do.
And the final answer is about the comparison as well. Im ONLY talking about street cars. If you were paying attention, you would have got a clear message of the comparison. the race car comparison was for potential, only. yes, the Aston is larger and heavier , but 5" wider and with bigger brakes and with better power to weight. So, at worst case, the cars could be close, with the advantage, going to the Aston. however it takes nothing from the "feel" that some might have with a smaller car. In the end, the reality is that the answer to the question is this: there is NO compromise in performance in choosing the AMV8, especially if we are talking "S" options.
You race Vipers? if so,then you understand the dynamics. I remember when folks first started to race them in the late 90s. Stock ones in weekend club racing events. Funny how the S2000s, and other Light cars with only slightly less HP/weight, would be no match for the wider heavier car. Folks mocked the big heavy street cars, until they ran against them on the track for real. That is the point.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:43 AM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by RossL
Amen. I stopped responding because I knew where this was going. Every forum has the track expert. Don't feed the track expert
And people always mock what they don't understand.

Someone said, hands down the Cayman S is better in performance..... I was just explaining why that probably is not the case. Oh, and sorry that I have some experience in the subject matter and its not just an opinion. I said, worst case, It would be a good race/comparison. in no way is it a blow out on either side, as was suggested.
By any measure, the two cars are decent performers. Not the best by any stretch, but neither has a huge advantage over the other.

So, if the question is , " will I sacrifice performance " over a cayman. the answer is no. wider track, better hp to weight , and bigger brakes should make the cars close, with the advantage going to the aston for pure performance over a myriad of driving conditions. It does become a matter of personal preference. But, using pure specs and designs of the Aston and others, the standard 911 would be more of a pure match for the Aston. (again, my opinion... but it should have as much validity as others that are posting to the contrary)

Last edited by XWCGT; 05-27-2014 at 01:50 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:56 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
My criteria in selecting the car for Dynamics was Beauty, Soul, Power--in that order. (Note: Aston puts "Power" first at engine start-up, I put it third--still important, but not as much as the other two IMHO). And after I bought my Aston, I could add "Permagrin", even when I just look at it in my garage.

Last edited by dicktahoe; 05-27-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:11 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Wish the newer cars still said that during the system check on startup. The "Pure Aston Martin" message doesn't seem as cool and is a bit redundant since there is a point where both OLED displays show the words Aston Martin at the same time.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:13 AM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by XWCGT
And people always mock what they don't understand.
I don't think anyone mocked you or your understanding. You are however making a lot of sweeping assumptions about people. And what are assumptions generally worth?

Old 05-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Wish the newer cars still said that during the system check on startup. The "Pure Aston Martin" message doesn't seem as cool and is a bit redundant since there is a point where both OLED displays show the words Aston Martin at the same time.
I agree.. when I noticed that the first week I had the car, I was very impressed with that subtle electronic touch.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by RossL
I don't think anyone mocked you or your understanding. You are however making a lot of sweeping assumptions about people. And what are assumptions generally worth?

You know, there is always a guy or two on a thread like this, that might be a mechanic, racer, physicist, etc. Personally, Ive learned a lot from many of them, and helped a few myself. Just as there are usually a few that seemed to be threatened by their presence as well.

What we are talking about here is not too complicated. It was a general question, that I met with some generalizations. seems only fitting, right? However, I did provide some factual information to dispel the extreme conclusion that a "Cayman would beat the Aston in areas of performance , hands down". I did this having enough experience in the field, to make comments and have them be able to be backed up with some facts.
Just the FACT that the cayman has a lesser HP to weight ratio, and is 5" narrower and 400lbs lighter (a trade off, in any racing physics book as far as handling), should point to real life performance of being very close at worst. Personally, I do prefer cars with more meat on their bones, and sacrifice vision, a light feel, and ease of parking at the mall, as trade offs.
I also have driven both at the track, and seen the performances first hand. No surprises, generally ever when I get in a car and know the basic qualities. I can almost guess a cars best time with a competent driver, based on width, weight, tire compound and size and HP. That said, there is NO way a cayman has anything over an aston as far as raw performance. In fact, I would bet my money, and ability, that the edge is in the Aston's side, based on the facts and figures provided.

Now, if we are talking about my generalizations of "feel". Sorry, its just what Ive seen. New performance drivers always seem to feel comfortable with lighter smaller cars, during their first year at the track. It might have been you that confused that statement into thinking I was saying that any driver of a lighter car is not as competent as one that drives a heavier car. Regardless, that was , in no way, what I was saying.
Many of us like the bigger wider car on the track. It might even feel more forgiving and stable to some, to others Ive seen the larger cars be a little less forgiving, as there are many downsides to having more momentium in "over the edge of control" situations. The point still is, the cayman is NO walk away with performance and that is the generalization without any factual information or theory. That was what I was addressing..... nothing more , nothing less. Personally, If I would race a street car in a street stock class, it would be a GT3 Porsche. It is the closest, out of the box to a real race car of any street car ive seen in all areas of performance.

Last edited by XWCGT; 05-27-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Are we still talking about this?

Old 05-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Are we still talking about this?
Defending the honor of truth, racing, and the Aston, has no bounds.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:47 PM
b_gust99 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by XWCGT
You know, there is always a guy or two on a thread like this, that might be a mechanic, racer, physicist, etc. Personally, Ive learned a lot from many of them, and helped a few myself. Just as there are usually a few that seemed to be threatened by their presence as well. What we are talking about here is not too complicated. It was a general question, that I met with some generalizations. seems only fitting, right? However, I did provide some factual information to dispel the extreme conclusion that a "Cayman would beat the Aston in areas of performance , hands down". I did this having enough experience in the field, to make comments and have them be able to be backed up with some facts. Just the FACT that the cayman has a lesser HP to weight ratio, and is 5" narrower and 400lbs lighter (a trade off, in any racing physics book as far as handling), should point to real life performance of being very close at worst. Personally, I do prefer cars with more meat on their bones, and sacrifice vision, a light feel, and ease of parking at the mall, as trade offs. I also have driven both at the track, and seen the performances first hand. No surprises, generally ever when I get in a car and know the basic qualities. I can almost guess a cars best time with a competent driver, based on width, weight, tire compound and size and HP. That said, there is NO way a cayman has anything over an aston as far as raw performance. In fact, I would bet my money, and ability, that the edge is in the Aston's side, based on the facts and figures provided. Now, if we are talking about my generalizations of "feel". Sorry, its just what Ive seen. New performance drivers always seem to feel comfortable with lighter smaller cars, during their first year at the track. It might have been you that confused that statement into thinking I was saying that any driver of a lighter car is not as competent as one that drives a heavier car. Regardless, that was , in no way, what I was saying. Many of us like the bigger wider car on the track. It might even feel more forgiving and stable to some, to others Ive seen the larger cars be a little less forgiving, as there are many downsides to having more momentium in "over the edge of control" situations. The point still is, the cayman is NO walk away with performance, and that is the generalization, without any factual information or theory that I was addressing. nothing more , nothing less. Personally, If I would race a street car in a street stock class, it would be a GT3 Porsche. It is the closest, out of the box to a real race car of any street car ive seen in all areas of performance.
Your position was crystal clear the 3rd or 4th time you stated it. The next 7 times were probably overkill.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by b_gust99
Your position was crystal clear the 3rd or 4th time you stated it. The next 7 times were probably overkill.
Unless there are those that still haven't comprehended, or even read the message (correctly), I might just have to reiterate..

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Did you compromise on driving dynamics to get a vantage?