Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 Vantage Clutch Friction Plate Only

Old 05-15-2014, 09:58 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
V8 Vantage Clutch Friction Plate Only

By popular demand. You can now order just the friction plate. The OEM replacement is only available as a pressure plate + friction plate combo.

This is a slightly uprated version, still with organic facings so will operate almost identically to the OEM setup.

http://www.velocityap.com/Aston-V8-V...lutchplate.htm

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	VELAMV8ClutchPlate-3T.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	375143  
206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 05-15-2014, 04:45 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Great option to have just the clutch disc. Most of the time the pressure plate is just fine and does not require replacement so this greatly brings down the cost of the clutch replacement.

great idea!

Old 05-15-2014, 11:01 PM
sonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the rough
Gosh, that would nicely free up the budget for some headers. You know, while you're down there and all.

Stuart, what was that figure for hours of labor saved by installing headers in the same shop visit you renew the clutch?

Old 05-15-2014, 11:20 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sonnyd
Gosh, that would nicely free up the budget for some headers. You know, while you're down there and all.

Stuart, what was that figure for hours of labor saved by installing headers in the same shop visit you renew the clutch?
Well.. I'm ballparking it but here's the skinny. To change the clutch you have to get it on a lift, remove the undertray, disconnect O2 sensors, remove catalysts, remove the LHS header and drop the torque tube before you can change out the clutch/flywheel assembly.

So the only additional thing you need to do for headers is R&R the RHS header. Service manual quotes 9 hours warranty labour for a manual clutch, so for argument's sake, you're already doing 7 of the 9 hours worth of labour involved in a header change. Or put another way, it is only another 1 incremental hour of labour to install headers at the same time you're doing a clutch.

Give or take a couple of beers

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 05-16-2014, 09:41 AM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
Clutch change is THE time to do headers, you'd be foolish not to if you plan on getting headers down the road anyways. Saving the need to get pressure plate just means you can put it towards headers !

Old 05-16-2014, 09:46 AM
rscultho is on a distinguished road
How about for DBS?

Old 05-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Clutch change is THE time to do headers, you'd be foolish not to if you plan on getting headers down the road anyways. Saving the need to get pressure plate just means you can put it towards headers !
When are you doing headers. I have a set with your name on them.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 05-16-2014, 09:51 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by rscultho
How about for DBS?
Nothing at this time, but the DBS already has a twin plate clutch which I would expect to last far longer than the V8's does. Unless it got thrashed at some point I'd think you would have a few years left in it at this point.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 05-19-2014, 09:09 AM
Hey Stu,

I drive a friends car a while back with the RSC clutch kit (back when you used to work with them). It felt totally different to the stock unit. Was that because of the clutch disc, or because of the pressure plate? Which one has more of an effect on engagement between the two?

Old 05-19-2014, 09:35 PM
ArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the rough
I will post results of this clutch addition very soon Stuart! All parts arrived today, and should have the car back by Friday! Just disappointed I didn't get to do the job myself! I was looking forward to getting into the car myself! As soon as I get the clutch done and get back from the jaunt down into the mountains of Arkansas, I will return and get the car on the dyno for the previously scheduled mayhem! Thanks for the help getting the parts to me in a timely fashion!
Art

Old 05-20-2014, 10:18 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by 007 Vantage
Hey Stu,

I drive a friends car a while back with the RSC clutch kit (back when you used to work with them). It felt totally different to the stock unit. Was that because of the clutch disc, or because of the pressure plate? Which one has more of an effect on engagement between the two?
Can't comment specifically on that unit, but in general it is probably a combination of both. The pedal pressure is affected by the pressure plate - the speed of engagement/disengagement and the amount of force required. The friction plate is going to affect the amount of slippage, but since both are working in partnership it is probably hard to separate out. They both make a different.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 05-20-2014, 10:50 AM
What are the key differences between your pressure plate and the stock pressure plate? Does yours have a different spring rate for the hub springs or are they identical to stock?

What about the friction material, is it different in any way?

Old 05-26-2014, 09:28 AM
nanohead is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know if the Sportshift is the same clutch part number?

Old 05-26-2014, 09:40 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by nanohead
Does anyone know if the Sportshift is the same clutch part number?
The clutch and flywheel are the same part, but the slave cylinder is different.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 05-28-2014, 09:09 PM
ArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the rough
Stuart,
Have done 275 miles now with the new disc and no problems. Engagement is smooth and the engine is eagar to rev, unfortunately I am still breaking it in, so no really hard acceleration yet. Hopefully I will report back next week and I can find time to put her on the dyno with the chips....... The clutch is engaging very nicely and no noise, however, my stock slave cylinder and throwout bearing were fairly worn. Glad we replaced it with new! The throwout bearing was very noisy and wobbly, whereas the new one was nice and tight and there is no rattling on engagement.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V8 Vantage Clutch Friction Plate Only