Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Trunk not opening 2014 Vanquish

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 06:44 AM
mendolia is an unknown quantity at this point
Trunk not opening 2014 Vanquish

Despite pressing nipple on trunk, using glass key and trunk release button on inside driver door panel the trunk will not open...with each maneuver a clicking sound can be heard which to me implies the actuator is functioning....door locks and glove release box work fine...dash indicator shows 'trunk lid open'...spoke to service managers at 2 locations, both unable to add any additional suggestions...no access to trunk from interior...any suggestions????

Old 03-17-2019, 09:32 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Push it down firmly, by hand, then try again.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:05 AM
Unfortunately the same result after numerous attempts

Old 03-18-2019, 10:47 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mendolia
Despite pressing nipple on trunk, using glass key and trunk release button on inside driver door panel the trunk will not open...with each maneuver a clicking sound can be heard which to me implies the actuator is functioning....door locks and glove release box work fine...dash indicator shows 'trunk lid open'...spoke to service managers at 2 locations, both unable to add any additional suggestions...no access to trunk from interior...any suggestions????
Not familiar with the Vanquish, is the trunk completely closed off from the cabin? If you can get to the trunk via the rear cabin by removing the rear seats, then
you should have an emergency manual release method accessible within the trunk.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:28 PM
no access from cabin

Old 03-18-2019, 04:49 PM
Viper98912 is an unknown quantity at this point
Jeez, there's no key hole or anything? There's gotta be something...

Old 03-18-2019, 08:26 PM
docroc is an unknown quantity at this point
I bet something is stuck in the door jam since the actuator is apparently working. I had that transiently happen on mine and there was something stuck in it. As someone else mentioned, I just pushed on the trunk of my Vanquish and it worked the next time with the driver’s side window trunk release though. Your local dealer really said they couldn’t help??

Old 03-19-2019, 04:17 AM
thats my thinking as well...dealer said they may have to access the manual release by removing one of the rear lights...trying to avoid this option

Old 02-11-2024, 08:37 AM
Geflackt is on a distinguished road
Did anyone come up with a solution for this trunk issue?

My trunk lid is stuck closed now and showing a "Trunk Open" message. Pressing the door or exterior button results in a faint click at the latch, but that's it. It's done this to me before and usually fixes itself after everything goes to sleep. However, I had it shut down overnight, plus disconnected the battery this morning and no change. I've also tried pushing down and pulling up on the trunk lid, but there's no change.

Strange because when it closed yesterday, the soft close mechanism pulled it closed as I was trying to get the lid up.

Update: Found the wire that tells the car the boot is open. Grounded it - message went away. No change in opening. Just a click when hitting the exterior button, door button, or key fob. Did the battery reset procedure again(with window and seat cal). No change. Locked car for a while thinking it's lock/alarm related. No change.

Removed the rear seats and panels. Got access to the trunk. Managed to get a hook on the trunk release. Will not budge. I was able to get quite a bit of force on the release, although it's pulling it straight to the front and not to the side. Still stuck.

Last edited by Geflackt; 02-11-2024 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 02-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Geflackt is on a distinguished road
OPEN!

That was an adventure. Managed by going in through the interior and the hole in the parcel shelf to unscrew the striker on the trunk lid. Great! But no, the striker is bolted to the pushbutton switch and the angle of the trunk kept it from opening more than about an inch. Worked on it a while and finally decided to get a hacksaw blade in and cut part of the striker. Trunk opened!

With the striker still in the latch, the latch would still not open. That striker is also in the way of a screw for the entire panel. I played with jamming things into the latch, but no real difference. Finally decided to turn the convenient green "gear" on the auto close mechanism which loosened a cable to the latch. BINGO! The latch clicked open!

What I found is that a position switch on the auto close mechanism was out of alignment. The auto close mech would stop part way through pulling the trunk closed, which would not allow the trunk latch to spring free. However, I don't think this is the only issue because the mechanism has gotten confused before but not like this.

So the solution: If you have a stuck trunk but still hear the "click" to release, the auto close may be out of sync. Go in through the interior, somehow pull the carpet away from the rear floor, and use a large torx bit to turn the rear gear until it stops(may have to try both directions).

Old 02-19-2024, 06:45 AM
bjmsnlaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for sharing guys. Mine worked after many attempts, finally! Very helpful insights and what a good problem.