6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Engine making ticking noise. (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/338286-engine-making-ticking-noise.html)

theegolden1 05-30-2014 09:06 AM

Engine making ticking noise.

I'm getting a ticking sound in the engine on my 06 DB9 with 35K. It only does it when I drive around via paddle shifting after awhile. So I decided to check the oil. It was 2 quarts short so I added oil. The ticking still happens, but only when I drive shifting with the paddles, and not right away but after driving like that for awhile. I understand there was a dipstick recall but I don't have a clue if mine has the newer stick or not. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

yvr 05-30-2014 09:32 AM

New dispstick part# is 4G4E-6750-AC. See this thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...oblem-not.html

AMOC and PH forums have lots of V12 ticking threads, no real conclusive diagnosis or solutions though.

theegolden1 05-30-2014 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by yvr (Post 4124660)
New dispstick part# is 4G4E-6750-AC. See this thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...oblem-not.html

AMOC and PH forums have lots of V12 ticking threads, no real conclusive diagnosis or solutions thought.

Thank you! I just check the stick and it is indeed the new version. I'll check out the link you posted. Much appreciated!

jjacksonphd 09-05-2014 01:28 PM

Like so many others, I've got a DB9 with a tick. Its an 06 with 30,000 miles. Does what everyone else's does. Quiet when cold, ticks after 15 minutes of driving. Appears to be half engine speed and coming from the right side of the engine (passenger side here in the US). I've poked around with a stethoscope and it really seems to be coming from the rear of the valve cover. This car has the new dipstick and clean (specified) oil. One thing Ive noticed when I drive it through narrow streets with walls on both sides, I can still hear it ticking at higher (<2500) RPM's. That would lead me to think its not an oil starvation problem. THe pressure should be back up again at the engine speed. My question to this group is: Has anyone ever performed the Ford Duratec procedure on one of these ticking Astons? Thats the procedure that purportedly solves the problem in their engines. They have a service report that describes removing and reinstalling the cam bearing carriers. I don't want to get in a big debate about the differences in the engines, just curious if someone has tried it and what were their results. At least this would make sense given my (and everyone elses) symptoms.

XJRS Owner 09-05-2014 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by jjacksonphd (Post 4189614)
Like so many others, I've got a DB9 with a tick. Its an 06 with 30,000 miles. Does what everyone else's does. Quiet when cold, ticks after 15 minutes of driving. Appears to be half engine speed and coming from the right side of the engine (passenger side here in the US). I've poked around with a stethoscope and it really seems to be coming from the rear of the valve cover. This car has the new dipstick and clean (specified) oil. One thing Ive noticed when I drive it through narrow streets with walls on both sides, I can still hear it ticking at higher (<2500) RPM's. That would lead me to think its not an oil starvation problem. THe pressure should be back up again at the engine speed. My question to this group is: Has anyone ever performed the Ford Duratec procedure on one of these ticking Astons? Thats the procedure that purportedly solves the problem in their engines. They have a service report that describes removing and reinstalling the cam bearing carriers. I don't want to get in a big debate about the differences in the engines, just curious if someone has tried it and what were their results. At least this would make sense given my (and everyone elses) symptoms.

Well, if my engine was ticking, that's the first thing I'd try since it is relatively easy and costs nothing if you do it yourself. I'd tackle the RH bank first and see what happens.

theegolden1 09-05-2014 02:41 PM

I've been to a couple of shops and they both suggest doing an oil change. My tick is intermittent. Never does it at a cold start. I have to drive for awhile before it starts ticking, and some days, like today, no tick....yet. But when it starts, it's pretty noticeable. Very annoying and a little embarrassing for such a high end vehicle.

dan87951 09-05-2014 07:22 PM

Fuel injectors as they age will tick/click. I wouldn't worry about it unless the car has a history of being run low on oil or if the noise is rather loud.

Fubar 09-05-2014 09:19 PM

Two quarts is a significant amount of oil usage. Its too bad these cars don't come with oil pressure gauge. I wonder if it can be read thru the OBDII port. If you have a reader that might be an easy start.

jjacksonphd 09-06-2014 09:02 AM

I agree with you, Golden. Its just annoying to have a beautiful, high end car like this that ticks like an old ford truck. Oil change has done nothing for this tick. If it was low oil pressure only, someone would have solved the problem by now. Also, I don't see that how that could be if Im still getting a tick at higher RPM's. Oil Pressure or clogged hydralic lasher seems to me to be the standard answer to valve tick, but so far that hasnt paid off for too many owners

Fubar 09-06-2014 10:48 AM

Do all the other cars that experience this 'tick' have oil usage like that? It would lead me to believe that it may have a main bearing or a rod bearing that is getting hot (especially if there is no trace of oil getting out elsewhere).

jjacksonphd 09-06-2014 11:37 AM

My car has the tick and it uses no oil, so I would rule that out. I have the correct dipstick and the oil level is correct. Still ticks. I just went out for a drive and another thing I noticed was the engine was up to nearly full temperature in about 5 minutes, but the ticking takes a bit longer to appear. Its as if some part of the engine takes a little longer to get hot and expand.

dan87951 09-06-2014 12:55 PM

Can anyone take a youtube video of their car "ticking"? Mine is super quiet and I have no noticeable "ticks" or "clicks" unless I put my scope by the fuel injectors (normal clicking). I'm really curious to see how loud everyone's "tick" is that they are talking about. Usually, if a car is run low on oil the valvetrain in the cylinder heads can be compromised and will make a "ticking" sound. Low oil pressure can also cause this ticking noise as well. A good first step to diagnosing this is getting a mechanics stethoscope like the one below and trying to figure out where the sound is coming from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mechanics-So...-/390724134766

CARAIBAM 09-06-2014 03:54 PM

Had a light tick after changing the plugs and coils to my 04 DB9 with 30 000 miles, it was (luckily!) only an injector ,it was not ticking before changing the coils and started imediatelly after restasting upon completing the coils change.

theegolden1 09-07-2014 08:31 PM

Here you go. Very distinct...........

theegolden1 09-07-2014 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by jjacksonphd (Post 4190060)
I agree with you, Golden. Its just annoying to have a beautiful, high end car like this that ticks like an old ford truck. Oil change has done nothing for this tick. If it was low oil pressure only, someone would have solved the problem by now. Also, I don't see that how that could be if Im still getting a tick at higher RPM's. Oil Pressure or clogged hydralic lasher seems to me to be the standard answer to valve tick, but so far that hasnt paid off for too many owners

Yes, jackson, it seems like a "deal with it because nothing can be done" issue. Very annoying.