Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Wood grain Vinyl wrap for sundamaged Db9 wood trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:55 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Well, my DB9 doesn't have any plastics. All those parts you describe are metal.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:40 PM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by RossL
This feels like sacrilege. The quality of the Aston interior is a highlight of the car.
I tend to agree with the above statement. It doesn't look bad, but you can tell it's not the factory finish. The OEM finish is satin and not glossy.

Have you tried Madera Concepts to have your original pieces refinished? They did an excellent job on my DB9 door trim and they were even somewhat reasonable ($350) when compared to my local dealer.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:53 PM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
I think the new wrap looks much better than the faded wood. If you want the car to look 'old' great, but I wouldn't. Newer luxury cars all have glossy wood (fake wood?) ... so this fits in with current trends. Stay with the wrap for a bit and wait for something expensive to break that needs the money. "IF" you can find a stellar deal on refinishing you can always still get it done.

If you don't tell your friends they won't likely notice. (But KF is right if anyone ever called me on it.)

I am sick of the shrinking leather as well..

Old 05-13-2016, 09:20 PM
ncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to all
Personally I find it hard to understand how folks rave over vinyl wrapping the paint, but say that they would not wrap part of the interior. It's the same deal, and easy to reverse if he decides to go back.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:04 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
My opinion about the interior of the Aston is with a few exceptions the quality of interior items is very near the best in the world. The are some makes I've never seen in person so perhaps some hyper exotics are better as well as maybe RR or Bentley.

Nothing masquerades as another material that I'm aware of. If it looks like aluminum, wood, or leather, it is in fact that material. It's a primary reason for my love affair with my car. They cut corners in only a few spots, namely the steering wheel stalks and the seat adjustment buttons. Otherwise the materials are of the very highest quality available. I'm lucky that my car has all glass switches, which I love. I have an unusual affinity to the feel of the leather in my car. It's the best I've ever felt. These parts are one of the reasons the cars are heavy. It all adds up.

It stinks the leather pulls away when continuously exposed to sun and heat. My guess is the engineers assumed most original owners would park their cars in garages. As for squeaks, all cars get them, but hand built cars are more susceptible. I've been lucky so far and don't have any

Last edited by deckman; 05-13-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:07 AM
Wildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of light
I did open up all the panels including door trim to install the wrap.
It help up well
Recently I wrapped my whole car in a different vinyl color so ended up changing interior to gloss carbon fiber, which turned out to be did to I will post some pictures later.

I have too many projects going on between 3 of my cars, but I like carbon fiber overlay on interior parts but it's non reversible option.

Most of the parts which look like aluminum is not aluminum it's aluminum like painted plastic.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:39 AM
cadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the rough
i have to agree with K9COP not the quality you would expect.
but i dont see the problem with making something look better
with a vinyl wood grain covering, great job by the way
lets face it the factory alcantara headliner is really microfibre fake suade !!

Old 05-14-2016, 07:54 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Everyone knows that Alcantara is synthetic suede, so what's the big deal? No one uses the real thing. Hey, your tires aren't natural rubber, they are synthetic!!!!

Old 05-14-2016, 08:46 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Now that I think of if the buttons in the radio area are plastic, such the reading lamp and the other little buttons.

Last edited by deckman; 05-14-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:35 AM
cadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the roughcadman is a jewel in the rough
my point exactly ,its no problem...

Old 05-14-2016, 12:49 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
FYI Alcantara is not meant to be a cheap suede alternative. In fact it was developed for high end automotive applications and costs well over $100 per yard. Having a real Alcantara interior is considered an object of desire in the auto industry; not something that is looked upon as being a downgrade for not being able to afford real leather. In fact, some companies have made faux Alcantara knock-offs to appeal to those who wish they could afford the real thing.

Last edited by karlfranz; 05-14-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:34 PM
Wildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of lightWildcat1212 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by karlfranz
FYI Alcantara is not meant to be a cheap suede alternative. In fact it was developed for high end automotive applications and costs well over $100 per yard. Having a real Alcantara interior is considered an object of desire in the auto industry; not something that is looked upon as being a downgrade for not being able to afford real leather. In fact, some companies have made faux Alcantara knock-offs to appeal to those who wish they could afford the real thing.

Lol so if wood grain vinyl was 100 times more expensive then it will be object of desire?

Guys this is a old thread I have already changed interior again to carbon fiber vinyl wrap and exterior color change wrap.

Every one has there preferences and I understand some like some don't like it.