Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Daytime running lights for free - For the Canadians

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 07:19 PM
vv23 has a spectacular aura aboutvv23 has a spectacular aura about
Daytime running lights for free - For the Canadians

Hey Guys

Just wanted to give a quick heads up to anyone looking to import an Aston Martin into Canada and are getting sidelined with DRL expenses from dealers. I've seen everything from $250-$1300 for DRLs. Here's a quick easy way on how I activated them

Step 1- Turn ur lights on when the car's on (all lights are now on)

Step 2- Turn ur car off and pull the key out (keep the light switch to the on position still).. The lights should turn off after U shut the car off.

Step 3- Go from underneath the dash and pull the wiring connector out from behind the light switch rendering it inactive. You can now switch it to the off position, it wont affect the DRLs.

The car will remember that you left the lights on, so when you start your car next, it will turn the DRL's on, and when turned off all the lights will turn off.

Go get your RIV inspection done!

Last edited by vv23; 06-23-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:58 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Pretty clever.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:08 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I had the daytime option added to my 07 vantage... My current solution is to simply have the light switch constantly on.... No battery drain!

Old 09-05-2014, 03:06 PM
tc264 is on a distinguished road
hi buddy just got my 11 vantage v8 from the states, Im in Toronto and need DRL to pass the RIV inspection as well lol.
I saw your post and it was very helpful, however I tried to look under for disconnecting the wires for the light switch but cant find it, can you tell me which wire to pull, if you can have a pic or some kind of diagram, would be really appreciated, thanks so much

Old 09-05-2014, 03:07 PM
tc264 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by vv23
Hey Guys

Just wanted to give a quick heads up to anyone looking to import an Aston Martin into Canada and are getting sidelined with DRL expenses from dealers. I've seen everything from $250-$1300 for DRLs. Here's a quick easy way on how I activated them

Step 2- Turn ur car off and pull the key out (keep the light switch to the on position still).. The lights should turn off after U shut the car off.

Step 3- Go from underneath the dash and pull the wiring connector out from behind the light switch rendering it inactive. You can now switch it to the off position, it wont affect the DRLs.

The car will remember that you left the lights on, so when you start your car next, it will turn the DRL's on, and when turned off all the lights will turn off.

hi buddy just got my 11 vantage v8 from the states, Im in Toronto and need DRL to pass the RIV inspection as well lol.
I saw your post and it was very helpful, however I tried to look under for disconnecting the wires for the light switch but cant find it, can you tell me which wire to pull, if you can have a pic or some kind of diagram, would be really appreciated, thanks so much

Old 09-07-2014, 04:50 PM
Ozzir is on a distinguished road
Or you can do what ive done 3 times which is nothing. The Canadian tire techs arent the brightest bulbs in the pack. Ive brought 2 Vipers and another car to them for the inspection. They all asked if i had daytime running lights installed and i said yes. So they go to the front of the car and i show them. I simply start the car and turn the switch on at the same time to turn the lights on. Lol. They are never looking at me they are looking at the lights and when the car starts the lights come on. Haha. Works every time so far.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:43 AM
CARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of lightCARAIBAM is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by vv23
Hey Guys

Thanks for the infos, two questions:

At what time do you re plug the connector,I believe it is a single one for the switch and not a separate one only for the side lamps.

From what you say, the ECU will remember it and lights will go on at all start up, or just once to go thrue the inspection.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:51 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
no need to disconnect the switch. I leave my lights on all the time. It shuts off when you turn the car off. My salesmen mentioned that to me. So i drive with drl and lights on all the time.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:40 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
^^^^ Yes, but Canadian regulations require that you not have the ability to shut off the lights whilst the engine is running. So your approach isn't a real solution. Unplugging the switch does seem to get around this, which is essentially what the software DRL mod does.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:58 AM
OptionGT is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CARAIBAM
Thanks for the infos, two questions:

At what time do you re plug the connector,I believe it is a single one for the switch and not a separate one only for the side lamps.

From what you say, the ECU will remember it and lights will go on at all start up, or just once to go thrue the inspection.
There are only 2 connectors behind the light switch. One for the main lights and the other for dimmer and internal panel/ cluster lights

I have tried a couple of time but doesn't work at all

Am hoping the thread starter can shed some light on this

Old 09-15-2014, 08:16 AM
vv23 has a spectacular aura aboutvv23 has a spectacular aura about
Hey guys

This is what worked on my db9:

1 Start car
2 turn on lights
3 turn car off (but leave lights switch to on position)
4 disconnect wire harness to back of light switch and then turn switch to off positon
5 restart car. The lights turn on and off with the ignition

When you do step 3 in my db9, the lights turn off when the ignition is turned off. Does that happen your v8 vantage?

Old 09-16-2014, 12:18 AM
OptionGT is on a distinguished road
Hi vv23 Apprciate your quick reply. I think the problem with my vantage is that the daytime actually goes off when I off the engine that's why it might not work

I will try the procedure again later in the day and update accordingly

Thanks for sharing my friend