Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

A snazzier tow hook for the front

Old 07-30-2014, 11:20 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
A snazzier tow hook for the front

Ok, you guys finish rolling your eyes.
I was wondering if anyone makes a nice looking aftermarket two hook like this for AM, I'd leave it in place all the time.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	towhook.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	397892  
Old 07-30-2014, 04:44 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Aston tow hook is "special"-Suprise anyone?

Chris...

I had thought much the same thought as you and earlier went on a search for an "aftermarket" tow hook, without much success.

Like all things Aston, the tow hook on the Vantage is unique...it's comprised of a 5/8"-8 TPI Acme left hand thread-try finding that at your local hardware store .

That uncommon thread specification is probably the reason I couldn't find any other tow hooks out there that would work. Let us know if you are successful in your search.

I then thought about fabricating my own tow hook, and I finally did manage to find and purchase a 3' length of left hand Acme threaded rod, along with the associated nuts; but life has been busy recently and I've not progressed any further. Maybe this winter when it rains here in California....

Don

Last edited by DonL; 07-30-2014 at 04:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-30-2014, 04:48 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
Oh well........................ I suppose I could buy one of the aftermarket tow hooks, have a welder fill in the existing threads , buy a left hand thread metric die and put new threads on, too much work.

Originally Posted by DonL
Chris...

I had thought much the same thought as you and earlier went on a search for an "aftermarket" tow hook, without much success.

Like all things Aston, the tow hook on the Vantage is unique...it's comprised of a 5/8"-8 TPI Acme left hand thread-try finding that at your local hardware store .

That uncommon thread specification is probably the reason I couldn't find any other tow hooks out there that would work. Let us know if you are successful in your search.

I then thought about fabricating my own tow hook, and I finally did manage to find and purchase a 3' length of left hand Acme threaded rod, along with the associated nuts; but life has been busy recently and I've not progressed any further. Maybe this winter when it rains here in California....

Don

Old 07-30-2014, 05:03 PM
DonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant futureDonL has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by zvez
Oh well........................ I suppose I could buy one of the aftermarket tow hooks, have a welder fill in the existing threads , buy a left hand thread metric die and put new threads on, too much work.
FYI, the Acme thread is actually an ASME/ANSI specification, not metric. However, your plan could actually work, but substituting a piece of the correct Acme thread form to be welded or threaded in would be cheaper-which is what I may eventually do.

More information than you could care for can be found here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapezoidal_thread_forms

Old 07-30-2014, 07:02 PM
yankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe I missed it but what is the purpose of keeping the tow hook permanently installed? As DonL said the one you posted won't fit. It also looks like a great way to chip paint off the bumper.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:30 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I don't know, Chris, I'm still rolling my eyes at this one. I think this tow hook thing is best reserved for the ricer boys.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:43 PM
so sue me................

Old 07-31-2014, 09:25 AM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by karlfranz
I don't know, Chris, I'm still rolling my eyes at this one. I think this tow hook thing is best reserved for the ricer boys.

+1

Only if you are 'on' the racetrack that day..

Old 07-31-2014, 06:15 PM
fair enough, I overstepped my bounds! Too chicken to take it on the track, and track days on motorcycles are loads more fun anyway!

Old 10-04-2018, 01:59 PM
lilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud oflilseevs has much to be proud of
Hate to bump an old thread, but has anyone been able to source a bolt to gill into this tow hook area? Tried searching online for the 5/8-8 lf pitch but am not getting any results - looking for a bolt specifically, not a tow hook

I do see in this ph thread there are some images of a bolt, but cannot find that online as well

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=70&t=1149317

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 10-04-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:01 PM
FR500GT will become famous soon enoughFR500GT will become famous soon enough
I'm actually quite shocked that this hasn't been a RedPants project yet..

Old 10-04-2018, 09:35 PM
007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about007JB has a spectacular aura about
that will look good on Honda Civic with 4 inch tail pipe

Old 10-04-2018, 10:25 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
A tow hook left in place suggests you expect to need a tow at any second. Not exactly the image I want to project, unless I had numbers painted on the door. Although I do leave my name sticker on my key and show it to chatters and tell them I leave my name on the key because it lives at Kerbeck service department and they just let me drive it every now and then.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:34 PM
AMR248 will become famous soon enough
Hi,

i bought one of these for the track:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Aston-M...-/121751280004

It perfectly fits on my MY07 V8 Vantage. The company is called anembo engineering. They only provide these for FORD cars on their website but the thread fits and is left-hand.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:31 AM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
I had always wanted a tow hook cover for that, not a hook. Keep the dirt out

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A snazzier tow hook for the front