Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

1700 miles and I get the Emission Service light....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 06:03 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
1700 miles and I get the Emission Service light....

Ok, Vantage V8S stalls twice while rolling in bumper to bumper traffic, with the clutch pedal down. On each stall, the Fail Safe light came on.

On the second restart, Check Engine and the Yellow warning triangle lights came on and stayed on. I also have the message Emission System requires service.

This occured after I filled the car up with gas, so my first instinct was to check the gas cap. I stopped as soon as I could and removed the gas cap and replaced it. This didn't help.

I do note that there are quite a few threads on this top, but the threads do not make it clear whether the lights will go out on their own or whether I need to take the car in to have the codes checked and cleared.

Last edited by terminal_ac; 10-05-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:44 PM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
according to a post in this thread, if the error is corrected, ie after gas fillup and gas cap not on correctly, it takes a few starts for the message to go away.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d-message.html

Not several threads listed in the FAQ in the electrical section which may/may not help.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:55 AM
AMCan will become famous soon enough
Had same problem a few times at low mileage as well. Just kept driving as per various threads suggested. Went away by itself. First time it took about 600 mi. Less time for subsequent stalls.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:18 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
How much fuel was in your tank when you stalled? Over half a tank? From what I've seen, this is often due to a failed vapor recirculation/vent line in the fuel tank that sucks up fuel and dumps it into the engine (technically, dumps it into the intake manifold).

Have you had the dealership update the fuel mapping for the car? It's a free update and is supposed to help with that. I had it done 2 years ago and haven't had the stalling problem since.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:32 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by telum01
How much fuel was in your tank when you stalled? Over half a tank? From what I've seen, this is often due to a failed vapor recirculation/vent line in the fuel tank that sucks up fuel and dumps it into the engine (technically, dumps it into the intake manifold).

Have you had the dealership update the fuel mapping for the car? It's a free update and is supposed to help with that. I had it done 2 years ago and haven't had the stalling problem since.
I had a full tank of gas. The car was delivered in July of this year, and it's a 2015. I would be surpised if the car did not have the lastest software onboard. Excuse the lack of know but perhaps you mean "update" within the sense of a fuel "remap"?

Last edited by terminal_ac; 10-06-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Just bought an OBD II scanner. I'll take a look at the error codes. I at least want to see whether the car is reporting anything "funky". After that, I'll clear the errors and see whether it happens again. If so, I'll drop her in to let the dealer take at look at things under warranty.

I knew I could continue driving, but it sure did spoil my Sunday drive. Out of an abundance of caution, I returned home, stuck her in the garage and switched to another car.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
After a few of these incidences you really learn to tighten the gas cap each fillup! As I remember on my 2007 Vantage I bought new there was a service bulletin to replace the gas cap. It takes a while for that warning to go off.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:27 PM
AMCan will become famous soon enough
Same stalling problem, similar production date (04/2014). I also would have assumed that it had the latest software tweaks. As far as the gas cap goes, once it starts clicking I have to assume it's tight enough.

I'd read somewhere that topping up the tank could be an issue so I'm experimenting with not doing that.

Old 10-06-2014, 03:33 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
The newer ones shouldn't have the problem I'm talking about. Supposedly AM quietly tweaked the design of the vapor line so it wouldn't be an issue anymore, and a newer car would have current software.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Schnycl is on a distinguished road
I also had the emision service light on, went to the AM dealer and they told me I have the lambda (oxygen) sensor gone. They replaced it with a new one, since then no more problems nor the emision light coming on

Old 10-07-2014, 09:53 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by terminal_ac
Just bought an OBD II scanner. I'll take a look at the error codes. I at least want to see whether the car is reporting anything "funky". After that, I'll clear the errors and see whether it happens again. If so, I'll drop her in to let the dealer take at look at things under warranty.

I knew I could continue driving, but it sure did spoil my Sunday drive. Out of an abundance of caution, I returned home, stuck her in the garage and switched to another car.
DTC codes are your friends. That should tell you what is going on and what needs correcting. 'Emissions' is a broad brush that covers a number of error states, but the codes will be much more specific.

Catch up with Tim at AM of DC, he can also probably pull additional information with the AMDS which will also show other sensor data at the time the error state was triggered.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 10-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
DTC codes are your friends. That should tell you what is going on and what needs correcting. 'Emissions' is a broad brush that covers a number of error states, but the codes will be much more specific.

Catch up with Tim at AM of DC, he can also probably pull additional information with the AMDS which will also show other sensor data at the time the error state was triggered.
Thank's for the input Stuart. The car is no longer in the DC area, so it won't be serviced there.

Btw, what's the story on the Portfield front pads for Vantage S and GT. I'm not so alarmed by the brake dust on the rears, but I 've got squealing and brake dust on the fronts!!

Old 10-07-2014, 10:44 AM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Thank's for the input Stuart. The car is no longer in the DC area, so it won't be serviced there.

Btw, what's the story on the Portfield front pads for Vantage S and GT. I'm not so alarmed by the brake dust on the rears, but I 've got squealing and brake dust on the fronts!!
Got it sorted, just about to post a thread

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 10-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Basic Sponsor

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4209975

Do you want fronts only, or front + rear? I'll send you an invoice.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 10-07-2014, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4209975

Do you want fronts only, or front + rear? I'll send you an invoice.
n

This is a wrap. Probably ditch the office early to put on my mechanic's overalls and check the readout on my CAN BUS.

Funny, but the wife said any car that stalls on her, "[s]he would take it right back!"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1700 miles and I get the Emission Service light....