Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

09 Vantage convertible top malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 03:07 PM
DetroitVantage is on a distinguished road
09 Vantage convertible top malfunction

Battery died, now the top will not move at all. Had no issues before the battery died. I have checked every fuse I can find and they are all good. Could not find any relay diagrams online or in the service manual for the top. I have reset the windows several times, I have unplugged the battery for an hour and hooked it back up, no change. Running out of ideas. It's winter here and I do not want to drive the car to the dealership and would like to figure this issue out while the car is not in use. Any suggestions would be great. Called two dealers, they started with resetting the windows then finished with them asking me to bring the car in.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:27 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Dead batteries on the roadster often screws with the roof control module sometimes killing it
Do a search on here and pistonheads for its location and pull the connector on it for 30 mins
If that doesn't work you'll need to see dealer to put it on AMDS and check the faults

Old 01-30-2015, 04:06 PM
Any chance you can attach a link to that modules location. No luck finding it on here or pistonhead so far.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:34 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Old 01-30-2015, 05:21 PM
Thanks guys, I located the controller. Unplugged and now I'm waiting. Fingers crossed. It would be a huge waste of money to buy a new controller just because the battery died. I would be a little disappointed to say the least. Haven't even owned the car for a whole year yet.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:34 PM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Where was it?

Old 01-30-2015, 05:39 PM
Right rear wheel well, up above the inner wheel well cover. Then there is another cover above that with 4 small bolts. The controller is mounted to the top side of the little cover and there are two plugs to disconnect.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:39 AM
Well no luck. Unplugged the controller for 30 min, hooked it back up and no change. Guess I'll have the dealer check it out when it's in getting the seat recall taken care of. Never owned a car that breaks just from the battery voltage dropping. The car only sat for 3 weeks in the garage.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:00 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by DetroitVantage
Well no luck. Unplugged the controller for 30 min, hooked it back up and no change. Guess I'll have the dealer check it out when it's in getting the seat recall taken care of. Never owned a car that breaks just from the battery voltage dropping. The car only sat for 3 weeks in the garage.
unfortunately they are notorious for it
Trickle chargers are a must
The roof module does often seem to be the first victim

Old 03-12-2015, 12:53 PM
nanohead is on a distinguished road
Curious if you ever had this repaired or resolved. Same year, and same exact symptom here. First reasonably warm day here, trickle charged it, started right up, top won't work as well having some weird complaint about the alarm system

Old 03-06-2018, 01:28 PM
Denver V8V is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi all. I'm hoping that one of you can assist as I'm in the same boat. My battery was dying and as a result passenger window didn't function and top stopped too. Just replaced battery, for which the fault codes had to be reset for the passenger window to work. Top doesn't function, just get the error message that it's inoperable. Seems to be the same issue you had.
I appreciate the feedback. Thank you

Old 03-06-2018, 02:00 PM
nanohead is on a distinguished road
Haven't had the car in a few years (despised the sportshift after it tried to kill me for the 10th time), but what I did to cure it, if memory serves, disconnected the battery, went into the boot/trunk, pulled the wiring connector off the top controller and let it sit for a day or so to theoretically flush eeprom local state. Then plugged it back in, connected the battery.

It then worked after a couple of tries

Old 03-06-2018, 04:39 PM
Thanks, I'll try that

Old 03-07-2018, 12:45 PM
I found another forum site where one individual stated the top could be reset by holding the operation button down in the close position for 5 seconds. I did that, and now the top works.
I hope this helps the next person who goes through this after a battery change