6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Vantage Air filter replace (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/358995-vantage-air-filter-replace.html)

captain Greg 02-24-2015 02:47 PM

Vantage Air filter replace

I have just received a lovely gift from a bud in the Uk ...a set of AML performance airfilters made by J1 automotive.

Please can you guys in the know point me to 'how to fit them' I have looked at the AM factory manual but its not clear to a layman like myself how to get them in?

Do I need to remove the front wheels and the front covers? is it possible to do it with just a garage jack? if one does not have lift? any pics and advise will be much appreciated

darren08 02-24-2015 05:06 PM

I have done it with it on a lift. I did it with the wheels off and the mechanic and I removed part of the front wheel covers and the cover on the front of the engine.
I would recommend however that you remove the inner wheel cover entirely and the front cover as well. I was difficult to get them in with the inner wheel covers on.

You can do this on jack stands, however the lift is nice...

Good Luck:)

Wildcat1212 02-25-2015 08:30 AM

I have done it with lift.
see my other posts, there is MaxJaxx 2 post lift, approx $ 2000 plus adaptors $ 400-500
but well worth it. If you do one oil change and one brake fluid flush lift has paid it for itself.

yes better to remove wheels, wheel well cover,
I think its possible to do it with jack and jack stands but due to low profile of the our car its difficult to use jack stands even.

captain Greg 02-25-2015 11:36 AM

Thanks guys any pics? any comments on J1 automotive free flow filters?

Wildcat1212 02-25-2015 11:40 AM

Filters are good.

They also come with instructions which has some pictures. I will try to look up I had seen some pictures or next time I wash them I will post pictures.

Trust me it's not hard.

deckman 02-26-2015 06:04 AM

I don't yet own an Aston. You guys are referring to the engine intake air filter? This the first car I have ever heard of that you have to go through so much to replace such a common maintenance item. It's kind of shocking.

telum01 02-26-2015 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by deckman (Post 4298414)
I don't yet own an Aston. You guys are referring to the engine intake air filter? This the first car I have ever heard of that you have to go through so much to replace such a common maintenance item. It's kind of shocking.

There are a few things that are oddly difficult to do on the car. If not oddly difficult, then oddly tedious.

The reason the intake air filters seem like quite the task is that they're located behind the front airdam below the headlights. To get to them, you have to go from under the car - that requires a lift or at least a jack and jack stands. The airboxes are covered from below by the leading edges of the plastic fender liners. You can either pull back the liners and deal with them while opening in the airboxes and changing the filters, or remove the wheels and then unfasten the liners so they hang completely out of the way.

What part of MD are you in? If you're in the market for an Aston and want a rundown of the cars, I'm happy to show you what's what on mine.

millsjq 02-26-2015 09:45 AM

Deckman, If you think this is an difficult procedure for replacing an engine air filter you should check out the process for the Porsche 911 (991), the entire rear bumper/facia has to come off.

I have always taken off the wheels, and liners and used the effort as an opportunity to clean and check everything during the process. It is a every three year activity and once you do it, doesn't take that long.

I am also in Maryland and most likely the only Aston in southern Maryland.

deckman 02-26-2015 11:57 AM

My last Porsche was a 996T and the filter was a piece of cake. Not everything was, but the regular maintenance stuff was all pretty easy.

Telum, I live in the Rockville area. I will be begin looking next month sometime. Than you for the offer and I will take you up on it.

captain Greg 02-26-2015 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Wildcat1212 (Post 4298090)
Filters are good.

They also come with instructions which has some pictures. I will try to look up I had seen some pictures or next time I wash them I will post pictures.

Trust me it's not hard.

Thanks for the feedback, i have now replaced the LH side filter with a J1 automotive....what a job (i dont have a lift) I notice the new filters are about a centimeter shorter than stock filters? but they do fit snuggly over the intake mouth. I have now closed up the left fitted the liner and the wheel and just noticed:mad: is it necessary to fit a piece of foam under the filters between bottom of filter and airbox cover?
then I have read about the sensor needing re calibration or reset?? will this be necessary?

PS this episode took me almost two hours working with basic tools and jack....now Im off to the right hand side.
I will want to clean or inspect the throttle body and Im not sure how that plastic release clamp thing works???can you advise me on that asseblief (please)

telum I wish you were in my hood man!!

ArtB 03-01-2015 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by captain Greg (Post 4298587)
Thanks for the feedback, i have now replaced the LH side filter with a J1 automotive....what a job (i dont have a lift) I notice the new filters are about a centimeter shorter than stock filters? but they do fit snuggly over the intake mouth. I have now closed up the left fitted the liner and the wheel and just noticed:mad: is it necessary to fit a piece of foam under the filters between bottom of filter and airbox cover?
then I have read about the sensor needing re calibration or reset?? will this be necessary?

PS this episode took me almost two hours working with basic tools and jack....now Im off to the right hand side.
I will want to clean or inspect the throttle body and Im not sure how that plastic release clamp thing works???can you advise me on that asseblief (please)

The plastic clamp that holds the hose to the throttle body is a double locking clamp. I used a flat screwdriver to pry the outermost jaw away from the adjacent jaw and using another flathead screwdriver, pryed the middle jaw away from the jaw on the hose. This created enough slack to allow me to undo the clamp all together. It wasn't the most difficult job, but it took some working it to get it to release. I was more concerned with it breaking on me.

telum01 03-02-2015 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by captain Greg (Post 4298587)

I use a pair of flathead screwdrivers to pry the clamp open. It's pretty easy to get those things off once you've figured out the technique that works for you.

Don't you have a personal mechanic? What do you need me for?! :D

captain Greg 03-03-2015 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by telum01 (Post 4300453)
I use a pair of flathead screwdrivers to pry the clamp open. It's pretty easy to get those things off once you've figured out the technique that works for you.

Don't you have a personal mechanic? What do you need me for?! :D

I need you as a adviser;) on the AM...my guys have their hands full with the August 109 and the MD500 at the moment those toys have to pay for this toy if you know what i mean:o

got one 05-19-2016 10:33 AM

bump for pictures? I am thinking of doing this myself and would love to see a video/pics to help me out. I am pretty protective of the car and want to make sure i don't scratch, break or anything like that. Thanks!

telum01 05-19-2016 10:40 AM

Really easy to do, just takes time because you have to move a few things out of the way. Video will be up this weekend on YouTube if you're not in a hurry. If you are: get the front of the vehicle off the ground, remove the undertray, unfasten the front ends of the fender liners and pull those back to expose the airboxes, remove the several bolts around the airbox covers, cover comes off, pull out old filter (pressure-fit, not fastened/bolted in place, so just pull it out with a little wiggle as you do it). Put on new filters, bolt cover back in place, refastened fender liners, reinstall undertray.