6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Strange noise from right rear wheel (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/360324-strange-noise-right-rear-wheel.html)

koolkat1973 03-16-2015 07:57 AM

Strange noise from right rear wheel

So I finally took my V8V out yesterday because the weather was finally decent enough to take her out. After driving my son to his soccer game without any issues, we got back in the car after the game was done a couple of hours later. As I was getting out of the parking, I started hearing this strange metallic noise coming from the right rear wheel area. The noise sounded like a metal on metal noise that occurred every time the wheel revolved one full rotation. The slower I drive, the louder the noise. It was bad enough where I had to pull into a parking lot. I checked the wheel area and didn't see anything unusual. So I decided to drive her again to see if the noise was still there. This time, the noise was gone. What a relief!!!! I was able to drive the 10 mile trip home without incident. This morning, I took her out to take her to work also without incident. I am hoping that the noise was just because I ran over something that was causing the noise and it must have felled off when I made the initial stop in the parking lot. Else - if the noise comes back, I may be in for a big repair bill. :eek:

boxercupdave 03-16-2015 08:58 AM

I recently had a similar issue with mine. The noise would come and go and seem to be worse when I turn a corner at slow speed.

I found that if I lightly applied the parking brake while moving slowly the sound would vary. Turns out the parking brake cable had enough flex to rub the wheel. Looked under car and cable housing as a few thou from wheel and wheel had a slight sheen where it had been rubbing.

My fix was to pull the rear wheel and use a rubberized dead blow hammer to close up the gap from the cable housing at the parking brake caliper. Twist cable inward more and use hammer to close up gap of the aluminum tab at the end of cable housing. Don't have to hit hard as it's aluminum.

Maybe same issue?

Dave

koolkat1973 03-16-2015 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by boxercupdave (Post 4308077)
I recently had a similar issue with mine. The noise would come and go and seem to be worse when I turn a corner at slow speed.

I found that if I lightly applied the parking brake while moving slowly the sound would vary. Turns out the parking brake cable had enough flex to rub the wheel. Looked under car and cable housing as a few thou from wheel and wheel had a slight sheen where it had been rubbing.

My fix was to pull the rear wheel and use a rubberized dead blow hammer to close up the gap from the cable housing at the parking brake caliper. Twist cable inward more and use hammer to close up gap of the aluminum tab at the end of cable housing. Don't have to hit hard as it's aluminum.

Maybe same issue?

Dave

Dave -

Thanks for the info. I will be sure to check that should I hear that noise again.

Kiet

telum01 03-16-2015 09:18 AM

Funny, I just heard a noise like this when I got to work this morning. Not the normal e-brake squeal - but a thin metal-on-metal scrape. I'll have to peek under the car when I can, thanks for the heads-up on where to look!

yvr 03-16-2015 12:33 PM

Rocks can get caught up between the disc and the brake shields and make a truly frightening sound of metal on metal. Usually they work themselves out after a mile or so. Try stopping and reversing to dislodge the rock.

telum01 03-16-2015 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by yvr (Post 4308210)
Rocks can get caught up between the disc and the brake shields and make a truly frightening sound of metal on metal. Usually they work themselves out after a mile or so. Try stopping and reversing to dislodge the rock.

That happened to me once during an HPDE. And it was super loud and horrible sounding. Luckily it was just a rock - drove backwards, braked, drove forward again and it dislodged.

koolkat1973 03-16-2015 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by yvr (Post 4308210)

This was exactly what happened to me yesterday. When I pulled the car in to the parking lot to inspect the noise, I had reversed the car to get back on the road. That must have dislodged anything that was in the wheel well. Because I did not hear any noise after that. Still hoping that was it. Thanks.

karlfranz 03-16-2015 12:53 PM

I concur. The first time this happened to me on my previous Aston I was freaking out wondering what had just broken. Never had this happen in any other car.

terminal_ac 03-16-2015 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by karlfranz (Post 4308225)
I concur. The first time this happened to me on my previous Aston I was freaking out wondering what had just broken. Never had this happen in any other car.

This happened to me in an SL500. I almost jumped out of my skin when it happened. hilarious

dallasbaker 03-17-2015 01:04 PM

I had this not too long ago. Turns out the inside pad on the parking brake had completely worn off even though the outer pad had 70% left. Take the wheel off and shine a light on the inner side.

BlueCrush 03-18-2015 07:01 PM

Ok I'll add my 2 cents since I had the same metal and metal sound on the right rear side by the wheel well. it was normally at low speed coming to a stop pulling out the garage or at idle. After investigating the issue because it was driving me nuts. It turns out a part of an heat shield was rubbing against another metal part creating that sound at low speed and idle. I simply bent it back and viola :D noise is gone. I had a lift so it made the search a little easier.

rscultho 03-20-2015 06:32 AM

This happened on my DBS.

E Brake was not properly adjusted...ebrake pad rubbing disc, wore out pads...replaced pads and adjusted cable, have not had a problem since.

Our ebrake pads are same as Jag ebrake pads. Jag E Brake pads are about 1/4th the price.