Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Have any of you tried Accelera tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Whag460203 is on a distinguished road
Have any of you tried Accelera tires?

The prior owner of my V8V replaced the rear tires about 6 months ago with the OEM Potenzas. The fronts are due for replacement, and I was intrigued by these ultra cheap tires.

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rtest.pl?rt_rubrik=pkw_sommerreifen&rt_profil=1031 51104&language=USEN&dsco=135&typ=R-226746&ranzahl=4&weiter=0&Ang_pro_Seite=10&Transpo rt=P&Breite=275&Quer=35&Felge=19&Speed=Y&sowigan=S o&back_zu_details=1&pg=1

They are $99/piece or $235 for both installed, at a local, decently rated shop. Ridiculously cheap!

Anyone try these? Any thoughts on how different the ride might be with them (if, at all)? Haven't made any decisions yet but definitely interested in the biggest bang for the buck.

(By the way - the Aston dealer in Phoenix wanted $2,530 for new Goodyears installed!)

Last edited by telum01; 03-30-2015 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Non-sponsor vendor link
Old 03-27-2015, 09:19 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Whag460203

(By the way - the Aston dealer in Phoenix wanted $2,530 for new Goodyears installed!)
As a point of reference I just bought new Potenzas for my DB9 from Tire Rack, just under $1400 shipped to my local tire installer in Houston.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:24 AM
ncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to all
They discussed it on Piston heads:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...?t=878322&i=40

You bought an exotic high performance car, and now want to put the cheapest tires on it you can find??

In my view its like buying a marathon runner shoes from dollar general.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:13 AM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
I would only consider these tyres if you plan to have them smoked-up in a day for some event. Otherwise, stay far away from these.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:47 PM
Whag460203 is on a distinguished road
So, If I'm driving on dry pavement only (I'm in Phoenix), do you really think I'd notice a difference using the car as a daily driver? If so, what is it?

I'm certainly not racing the car.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:35 PM
maor is on a distinguished road
Lol, buys an AM, can't afford the tyres.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:57 PM
biggynuts01 has a spectacular aura aboutbiggynuts01 has a spectacular aura about
Tires are the single most important performance component of a sports car don't be cheap with those you will regret it.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:37 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Tires are the single most important safety component.

Old 03-29-2015, 03:43 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by maor
Lol, buys an AM, can't afford the tyres.
Not sure that is what he is suggesting? the man has asked for a opinion and was wondering if all the knowledgeable guys have tried these tyres that is all. As he says he does not track the car and is not exposed to wet conditions.

I took the OEM tyres off, and replaced them with F453 at about 65% cost of the more expensive brands, have them on My RR sport and and my merc, now for almost a year on my Vantage I have done 3000Km with them and for normal driving and the odd highway brawl I cannot exactly say they are any worse then OEM.

To simply put on the most expensive rubber because of its label if its not needed is IMHO not a nesessaty, its like saying one cannot scuba dive unless you are wearing a Sunto or a Rolex, and no other watch (like a Seiko) will do, we all know that seiko although not desirable is still a very good time piece.

So valid question, and maybe if he fits these tyres will be able to help all with constructive comments rather than speculation? as said i asked on this forum about Falken 453 and never got a response, but after running them i will recommend them.
Besides they were in stock, and in SA stock of these odd sise tyres is also a big consideration.

I have found that most guys who ask this type of question seldom owe any money on vehicles or other assets, and are of the more financially prudent specie - so that comment could be a bit out of line, just my comments

Old 03-30-2015, 08:45 AM
maor is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captain Greg
I have found that most guys who ask this type of question seldom owe any money on vehicles or other assets, and are of the more financially prudent specie - so that comment could be a bit out of line, just my comments
Lmao, now that is good quality material right there. 4 tyres are something like a couple of days wages for legitimate AM owners. No one is going to be *****ing about saving a couple of hundred ££...

Feel free to show me some tyre tests which show F453s doing well or even the Acelleras.

Last edited by maor; 03-30-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:21 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Tires are the single most important safety component.
This.

The contact patch for each tire is very small and those four little spots of rubber are the only thing keeping your 3600 lb car connected to the road. Making sure that linkage is the best possible is just as important for safety as it is for performance.

Consider emergency braking, lane changes, etc. It's not just your own driving or weather conditions that need to be taken into account, it's also other drivers and the unforeseen. Last Friday I had swerve out of the way of a bucket that bounced out of the back of a pickup truck directly in front of me. Then the following day I had to dodge a large chunk of debris in the road. Both while driving my Aston.

Originally Posted by Whag460203
I think I paid a total of ~$1500 for my Pilot Super Sports, including mounting and balancing.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:22 AM
boxercupdave has a spectacular aura aboutboxercupdave has a spectacular aura about
I won't knock you for looking at tire alternatives as that's your choice.

I couldn't find much data on the Accelera tires so that would leave me hesitant in running them on a performance car. Depending on your driving style they may work but without info is it worth the risk?

To get good performance, reliability, low noise they add cost.

I can remember when Khumo came out with their performance line and a lot of folks jumped in saying they couldn't be any good but they proved themselves. I ran them on my track day vette.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:29 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by maor
Lmao, now that is good quality material right there. 4 tyres are something like a couple of days wages for legitimate AM owners. No one is going to be *****ing about saving a couple of hundred ££...

Feel free to show me some tyre tests which show F453s doing well or even the Acelleras.
moar you are very fortunate to still be earning wages (down here most Aston driver pay wages) I may add you live in free world UK! I live in Africa, not as fortunate to just walk into a dealer and ask for a set of 305' rear's and 245 fronts, down here we have stock issues and these tyres are not always just available, I still like a good deal, and I never let my success as humble as it is go to my head, please inform me what is a legitimate Aston owner??? this one has me scratching my head

Regarding the comment on F453's i cannot find any reports nor can i find negative reports as I requested on this forum about info on them a bout a year back. regarding Acelleras i have never heard of them

Old 03-30-2015, 08:16 PM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
My opinion: the use of cheap tires on a simple 4 door hatchback with a 1600cc engine and front wheel drive is something that could be considered. Low torque and low Horsepower do not stress the Tyre much at all. Also the relatively low weight of the car under heavy braking (very occasional) will not stress the Tyre much. Still, tires is all that bridge a car with the road.

Generally, the compound of cheap-tires do not allow a versatile operational window: when often reading reviews on all sorts of tires you generally see a trend that the lower market-end tires are good on say wet roads but are sheit under dry conditions. Could also be the other way around. In contrast, the Pirelli's Good Year's and Michellins of the world generally score high in all these categories because the manufacturers continue to redevelop, rigorously test these ongoingly making sure they present a most versatile tire for all road conditions.

My take on this is that manufacturers use the cheaper, less versatile compounds (left-overs perhaps?) to manufacture the cheaper/budget brand tyres. This means they're not bad but their 'operational window' is reduced compared to their high-end brothers.

Choosing the right tyre is dependant on where you live. Here in Singapore we get almost 8ft of rain a year. I'm pleased my daily driver is an Audi A5 3.0Tdi (320HP / 450 ft lb) with quattro drive. I used to have 225/35/19's Good Year Eagle F1's but have recently changed to Falken FK453's (which is a budget over the Eagle's). I'm much surpised because this tire in the wet is much better then the Eagle in the wet. On dry though the noise levels are surely higher.

This said, I would consider the Falken's on my DB9 but they do not offer the speed index Y as far as I'm concerned.

What I've been reading from the Accelera's isn't very positive but perhaps a trial and error on the dry phoenix roads make them work well for you.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:32 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Raise your hand if you have ever even heard of "Accelera".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Have any of you tried Accelera tires?