Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Yet another Premium Audio Upgrade Thread...

Old 04-06-2015, 01:40 PM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
Question Yet another Premium Audio Upgrade Thread...

I currently have standard audio in my V8VS, and after reading all the raving about premium audio, I am thinking of biting the bullet and upgrading to premium.

I know this topic has been covered repeatedly, but please bear with me for yet another post on the subject.

My research indicated that the speakers post MY09 in both the doors and rear are homogenous, so in theory, I would not need to upgrade my door speakers. Also, I noticed my V8VS already has the premium Sub Enclosure, so I can skip that as well.

Including the parts I already have, (listed above), AND I stick to FACTORY speakers, I would require the following:

Rough Estimate: $1,500 - $1,700
(1) 6G33-18808-FA - Center Speaker
(2) 9G43-18808-JB - Rear speakers
(1) 6G33-18C808-CC - Power Amp
(1) 1R12-37-10629 - Sub Amp
(4) 6G33-12B579-AA - Tie Bar
(4) 6G33-115723-AA - Spacer
(1) 9G33-9137-EB - Alpine Link lead High Line (Not sure if I need this)
(1) Software flash from dealer to enable premium audio

Looking at the costs above, I also keep considering an after market upgrade. Issues with that are as follows:
- Base Audio controls limit fade/balance and equalization
- How to convert from Optical to Analog for aftermarket amps
- How good will the integration e with the factory head unit...
- What after market speakers fit? I can not find any information on cutouts, and depth clearances.

Okay... if you made it this far, thanks for sticking with me. I LOVE my V8VS, but hate the audio. It's so bad that it's difficult to listen to at highway speeds due to lack of clarity, volume, distortion, etc.

One more question - How do I remove the rear speaker grills to verify the wiring exists? I've already verified the Center Speaker Cabling was in place.

Any input and experiences from members are GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!

Old 04-06-2015, 02:01 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
As I've understood it based on research others have done, retrofitting the Premium Audio isn't too feasible. Labor cost alone is going to be huge.

Sorry, not personally familiar with aftermarket options, just that it's usually said to be preferable than retrofitting the Premium Audio.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:02 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
aftermarket option may be best for you. If that doesn't work out...it may be time to sell your car and get one with the specs you like!

Old 11-13-2017, 12:57 PM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
After years of living with the base audio, I have finally completed the upgrade to Aston Martin's Pioneer HiLine system, offered as their Premium Audio option for $750.

Here were my costs: ($2,050 Total)

$50 (Salvage Yard) (1) 6G33-18808-FA - Center Speaker
$70 (Salvage Yard) (1) 9G43-18808-JB - Rear speaker
$150 (Scud w/ ship) (1) 9G43-18808-JB - Rear speaker
$350 (Salvage Yard) (1) 6G33-18C808-CC - Power Amp
$500 (Salvage Yard) (1) 1R12-37-10629 - Sub Amp
$50 (Scud) (4) 6G33-12B579-AA - Tie Bar
Inc Above. (4) 6G33-115723-AA - Spacer
$130 (Scud inc Ship) (1) 9G33-9137-EB - Alpine Link lead High Line
$600 (Dealer) (1) Software flash from dealer to enable premium audio
$150 (Misc Labor for speaker and amp install done by myself and Indi shop)

Having now lived with this upgrade system for some 300 miles over the weekend, I must say I am truly glad I did this, and would do it again in a heartbeat!!

The only portion of this upgrade that I found bothersome was the flash at the dealer. My Indi mechanic attempted to perform the flash, but we couldn't find the correct file on the AMDS system.

I ultimately went with the dealer flash as it ensures future maintenance would not overwrite my factory build file. As I understand it, generating this file from the factory should have updated by build sheet, ensuring future flashes do not revert to base audio.

It's been a journey - for anyone who has the base audio and wishing you had the premium, rest assured, it's worth a couple grand!!

Coming up, I'll be upgrading my door pulls with carbon fiber as soon as the new arm pads come in. At that time, I'm considering swapping the factory speakers with Focal as I noticed the passenger speaker distorting slightly at volume....

Cheers

Old 11-13-2017, 01:15 PM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
I upgraded my base system with more than decent aftermarket speakers and amps but this is another story, anyhow I could not find any cabling for the rear speakers already in place. Also the wires to the existing speakers in the doors are quite thin, I replaced them as well as the speakers.
Front and rear speakers are 4 inch units same as center speaker, I fitted Focal speakers.
Subwofer are different between base and premium, enclosure looks the same but you can open the enclosure and replace the subwoofer, it is a 8 inch type.
I hope this info helps you
Cheers
Christian

Old 11-13-2017, 04:08 PM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
I gutted the supposed premium Linn 950w system in my 9 as it was a disgrace. 8k later I have an aftermarket system comparable to the late model Bose system that will make your ears bleed. FM reception is still poor as a result of hidden antennae limitations. If anyone has any ideas as to how to improve this I'm all ears.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:10 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
The subwoofer is the most impressive part of the premium audio IMO. That bass can break a kidney stone as it is right behind the seat. Very clean & firm sounding bass.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by GDay2
... anyhow I could not find any cabling for the rear speakers already in place. Also the wires to the existing speakers in the doors are quite thin, I replaced them as well as the speakers.
Christian,

What car were you working on? My Vantage S had all the wiring in place. Once I opened the panels, it was very easy to find and use.

the wire is quite thin, but given the fact that I'm not running a number of DSPs, or super high wattage, I had no desire to mess with factory looms and run new wires.

During my upgrade, I was saved the cost of upgrading my subwoofer, as for whatever reason, my car had the premium sub already installed

How do you like the Focals over the Pioneer? I noticed there were two or three models that could fit in the doors. What model did you install?

Thanks

Old 11-14-2017, 01:13 PM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
Hi Batman,
I have a V8 Vantage MY09, no cables to the rear speakers, did not matter as I wanted to use 2,5mm2 cable anyhow.

When I upgraded/added the speakers I left the original subwoofer, but it was not on par with the new speakers and amp, so I used a Eaton 8-530 HEX sub in the original enclosure and paired it with an Eaton SR500.1 sub-amp (4mm2 cabling). This combination works like a dream.

I know the Pioneer and did not like them, the Focal are more defined for me. I used Focal 4CA1 units front and rear powered by a Critical Mass ULA-800A amp.
All is connected via a Lanzar HTGX6BT crossover, plans exist to replace it with a DSP.

My aim was to be able to hear music at normal sound levels with the best dynamic and to have the feeling to sit in the middle of the stage. I am mainly listening to Classic and Rock/Pop, so it can happen that some pieces require more volume (e.g. Orinoco Flow) which the system does without distortion or any other problems. My target is fully met.

I am was not looking for trillions of watts but to get good sound at normal volumes you need some power to spare, thats why I ended up with about 1200 watts to give the mid volume dynamic.

End of the day beauty is in the ear of the beholder and there are many roads to Rome.

I wish you good luck with your project, maybe you let us know your solution.

Cheers

Christian

Old 07-27-2020, 10:16 AM
Abdullah37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Batman-76
After years of living with the base audio, I have finally completed the upgrade to Aston Martin's Pioneer HiLine system, offered as their Premium Audio option for $750.

Here were my costs: ($2,050 Total)

$50 (Salvage Yard) (1) 6G33-18808-FA - Center Speaker
$70 (Salvage Yard) (1) 9G43-18808-JB - Rear speaker
$150 (Scud w/ ship) (1) 9G43-18808-JB - Rear speaker
$350 (Salvage Yard) (1) 6G33-18C808-CC - Power Amp
$500 (Salvage Yard) (1) 1R12-37-10629 - Sub Amp
$50 (Scud) (4) 6G33-12B579-AA - Tie Bar
Inc Above. (4) 6G33-115723-AA - Spacer
$130 (Scud inc Ship) (1) 9G33-9137-EB - Alpine Link lead High Line
$600 (Dealer) (1) Software flash from dealer to enable premium audio
$150 (Misc Labor for speaker and amp install done by myself and Indi shop)

Having now lived with this upgrade system for some 300 miles over the weekend, I must say I am truly glad I did this, and would do it again in a heartbeat!!

The only portion of this upgrade that I found bothersome was the flash at the dealer. My Indi mechanic attempted to perform the flash, but we couldn't find the correct file on the AMDS system.

I ultimately went with the dealer flash as it ensures future maintenance would not overwrite my factory build file. As I understand it, generating this file from the factory should have updated by build sheet, ensuring future flashes do not revert to base audio.

It's been a journey - for anyone who has the base audio and wishing you had the premium, rest assured, it's worth a couple grand!!

Coming up, I'll be upgrading my door pulls with carbon fiber as soon as the new arm pads come in. At that time, I'm considering swapping the factory speakers with Focal as I noticed the passenger speaker distorting slightly at volume....

Cheers
can you share quick images on where / how to find and remove speakers to check wiring.
if they exist how easy is it to retrofit, if not how hard.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:44 PM
Did you find these locations, or still needing assistance?

Sorry for the delay as I've not been monitoring this forum as of late.

Old 08-05-2020, 12:56 AM
Abdullah37 is an unknown quantity at this point
No sadly any help is really appreciated mate

Old 02-16-2024, 03:56 PM
Racer7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Im also in the area.. Smyrna and about to purchase a 2014 or 2015 Vantage.

Did you do everything yourself? I'm looking for a shop with expertise that can just knock this all out and do it right.

I'd also love to see what you've done.