Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

start button - the parts falling of this car are of the finest british quality

Old 04-07-2015, 05:01 PM
boxercupdave has a spectacular aura aboutboxercupdave has a spectacular aura about
start button - the parts falling of this car are of the finest british quality

OK thought I'd moved past this when I ran away form midgets and sprites back in the 80's.

So I drove the car up to KC as I've working up there. Weather is nice today so took the car out while looking for a printer. Came out from the store put key in and turned the key and car started right up. I'm thinking this isn't right so not thinking too clearly I turn the car off and then slightly push the start button. Bezel comes out and button and switch disappear into the dash.

OK so I'm a bit pissed but I'm thinking what do I do as most of my tools aren't here and I don't know anyone. Maybe AAA tow.

I then try to locate the switch through the start button hole and can feel the harness which luckily hasn't dropped down too far. I see a Wal-Mart not too far way so I walk there and buy a set of screw drivers, needle nose pliers and some solid wire (never found the coat hangers).

Get back to the car and bend out a hook on the end of the wire and with a bit of luck and using one finger I'm able to pull the black switch and harness through the hole. Turn on ignition and press the part of the switch that is spring loaded and the car starts!!! Thank goodness my Dad got me interested in working on cars for a hobby.

Got back to apt and called the dealer in Dallas. They ordered the button/bezel assy right then and will ship to me in KC once they receive.

Thanks to Jacob of Aston martin of Dallas for helping me out.

Cheers

Old 04-07-2015, 05:07 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
In all fairness, your car is almost 9 years old. These kinds of things happen to any car brand as they get older.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:15 PM
boxercupdave has a spectacular aura aboutboxercupdave has a spectacular aura about
Karl,

For boutique brands I guess you're right as they don't have the funding nor the extended test processes required to do substantial parts age testing. These days most mass produced vehicle parts last a lot longer.

It is what it is and I'll fix it.

Cheers

Old 04-07-2015, 05:31 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
The thing is that neither Aston, nor most any other car brand manufactures their own parts. When it comes to componentry, many car companies are merely designers and integrators. Very few of the parts are actually built in house. There are a few suppliers that manufacture, sell and frequently even design the components for all the brands. So the quality isn't really any better for say a Ford product than for the Aston if the supplier is the same.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:27 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by karlfranz
The thing is that neither Aston, nor most any other car brand manufactures their own parts. When it comes to componentry, many car companies are merely designers and integrators. Very few of the parts are actually built in house. There are a few suppliers that manufacture, sell and frequently even design the components for all the brands. So the quality isn't really any better for say a Ford product than for the Aston if the supplier is the same.
Very true
However lets look at the ASM2 gearbox
The Graziano version Aston use is the lowest possible cost and as a result quality and feel suffer. My box lasted less than 14 months
Ferrari take a higher spec version and to my knowledge never had a failure and changes gear a lot better
My point is the bean counters are in control at Aston to the detriment of the cars & customers

Old 04-08-2015, 07:41 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mikey k
Very true
However lets look at the ASM2 gearbox
The Graziano version Aston use is the lowest possible cost and as a result quality and feel suffer. My box lasted less than 14 months
Ferrari take a higher spec version and to my knowledge never had a failure and changes gear a lot better
My point is the bean counters are in control at Aston to the detriment of the cars & customers
I find this hard to believe, esp in this day and age of manufacture. The cost to make parts of differing quality, but of the same design, is very expensive and would tend to drive the price of the parts up, not down because of the quantities involved.

I doubt there is any evidence that a Graziano GB for an Aston, if the same design as that for a Ferrari, is of lesser quality in terms of materials and/or tolerances. Sounds like another urban myth to me, based on zero evidence of same.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:48 AM
I agree that a number of parts are reused from other mass produced cars typically from the same corporation. Ford used parts from Volvo and others which I have no problem with but the start button seems to be very unique. A simple change to a rotation retaining design would have solved this issue long term vs. just simple straight insertion tabs. Depending on the plastic mix used these parts can age so best to design in for this is my point. I've had to deal with this types of issues in the past so I do have some background.

As far as the transmission I agree it costs the same to manufacture one type vs. build specific but what you can do is add additional reliability testing and add additional finishing processes to extend life or improve operation. Rod ends vs. bushings in shifter assemblies, change of bearing spec also. This is where money comes into play more often today and makes the difference is seemingly similar parts or assemblies

Anyway what got me started on this thread was that an old SCCA production race car driver and builder friend used to have a sticker on his cars claiming parts falling off were of the finest British quality so I thought it fit

Old 04-08-2015, 11:52 AM
Two comments:

First. As an engineer, part of my job involves designing things. I find that many people tend to play "armchair quarterback" and question why things weren't done in a certain way which, on the surface, would seem much better. Oftentimes, the explanation is that those people are taking an over-simplistic view that doesn't factor in certain design constraints such as federal regulations, insurance standards, HMI and ergonomics, physical properties of materials, electro-magnetic interference, environmental exposure, decay, cost-benefit analysis, and countless other things. My point being that sometimes we don't fully understand the reasons behind certain decisions.

Also, I sometimes see people on forums make comments like "I can't believe my Aston doesn't come standard with xyz feature when even a Honda includes that these days". What is sometimes revealed is that, in some cases, they are talking about their 2006 Vantage and comparing it to newer cars. In the particular case brought up by the OP, the Start button failed. But that button has not been used in any car Aston has built since 2009 (7 model years ago) so it's not, technically, an issue they need to correct. Although, in all fairness, the replacement part (i.e. the ECU dock) apparently can also fall apart, so maybe the part supplier sucks and hasn't learned any lessons from previous failures.

Second. Legend has it that, after several years of building cars, Henry Ford sent a team of engineers to different junkyards to analyze wrecked cars. Their mission was to figure out which parts failed early and which ones seemed to hold up well. Contrary to popular logic, the goal of this exercise was to determine which parts could be redesigned to a *lesser* specification. The idea being that those parts were over-engineered and were costing more money to produce than was necessary. I find that anecdote interesting but also sad and disappointing from a perfectionist point of view.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:23 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Contrary to popular logic, the goal of this exercise was to determine which parts could be redesigned to a *lesser* specification. The idea being that those parts were over-engineered and were costing more money to produce than was necessary. I find that anecdote interesting but also sad and disappointing from a perfectionist point of view.
Worked for Mercedes, too

Wait... I thought you were a photographer.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:36 PM
Just too be clear the parts falling off was meant to be a joke and I don't expect Aston to pick up the parts tab as I've already worked with the dealer to purchase new ones.

I was just amazed that it failed the way it did and glad I was able to get it started. Note that my 1980 Corvette still starts with the original starter switch though the starter was changed to a gear reduction type 8 years ago.

Things are way too serious today.

Dave

Old 04-08-2015, 12:42 PM
I understand, Dave. My answer wasn't really focused on you. Just using you as an example. Sorry.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:25 PM
jcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to beholdjcpca356 is a splendid one to behold
I used to have a 360 spyder and switchgear and painted interior parts became faded and things fell off often. Car only had 13k miles too :/

Old 04-10-2015, 01:10 PM
Starter button assy arrived from Aston Martin of Dallas today so installed, did a key lock and unlock cycle, and car started. Great service from them on getting me the part so quickly.

Now to replace that small chrome piece of trim in front of the drivers side mirror that ejected itself. Aging gracefully like me

Cheers

Dave

Old 04-11-2015, 09:07 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
I find this hard to believe, esp in this day and age of manufacture. The cost to make parts of differing quality, but of the same design, is very expensive and would tend to drive the price of the parts up, not down because of the quantities involved.

I doubt there is any evidence that a Graziano GB for an Aston, if the same design as that for a Ferrari, is of lesser quality in terms of materials and/or tolerances. Sounds like another urban myth to me, based on zero evidence of same.
I know from personal experience, both with my Aston eating its Graziano gearbox and my work as a supplier to the automotive industry

Old 04-11-2015, 09:22 AM
Contrary to popular logic, the goal of this exercise was to determine which parts could be redesigned to a *lesser* specification. The idea being that those parts were over-engineered and were costing more money to produce than was necessary. I find that anecdote interesting but also sad and disappointing from a perfectionist point of view.
100% agree
I see this far too often in the automotive industry it seems to be the major drving force even on premium brands
It's easily demonstrated simply look beyond the parts that immediately obvious to an owner

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: start button - the parts falling of this car are of the finest british quality