Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Amusing discussion with Aston Martin at the NY Auto show

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 05:59 PM
nanohead is on a distinguished road
Amusing discussion with Aston Martin at the NY Auto show

So I went to the NY auto show today, stopped by the Aston exhibit. They had their crazy new car there, it looks odd, not my taste. I got to take a look at a Vanquish Roadster, which I think I'm in love with, and am thinking about buying.

Then someone working the booth actually talked to me, and I mentioned I had a V8 Vantage, and was likely getting rid of it due to the Sportshift issues.

Like a robot, she started to recite the corporate line. She basically told me that I had no idea how to drive the car, and that if I just learned how to drive it correctly, I would like it. It was painful, and very consistent with what other members here have been told by the dealers and others associated with the company. Heck, even some members here recite that mumbo jumbo.

It was clear to me that she had been trained to have this Pavlovian response to anyone mentioning anything about the horrific Sportshift. She even went so far as to tell me I'd have to learn how to drive an automated manual. Funny, I told her I had a Cayman with a PDK and an R8 with an R-Tronic, she was basically clueless.

The short of it is, that it seems like our friends at Aston have basically done a brilliant job of covering their ***** here, instead of taking responsibility for a terrible product.

Those of us who buy these kinds of cars accept goofy design decisions and poor implementations of high concepts, because the overall car tickles our fancy enough to look past the deficiencies. Personally though, I'm surprised that Aston has institutionally behaved this poorly on this issue. I expect it from (and have had it happen from) GM, Nissan, Honda, etc. High volume auto manufacturers go out of their way to deny poor decisions, or major defects. Its disgusting, but I understand the fight or flight mechanism at these behemoth companies.

But Aston is bordering on bankruptcy on a constant basis, and it surprises me that they don't bend over backwards to keep their clientele that can afford their lovely cars happy.

I'm in total lust with the Vanquish Roadster, it is magnificent. I could buy one tomorrow if I wasn't spooked by the company's denial mechanism. But for now, I'll wait and see

Old 04-07-2015, 06:20 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Sportshift is great. Gives you a good dose of that 'manual' experience, i.e. slow, deliberate shifts. I much prefer that to a manual that mimics an auto in speed and smoothness (PDK). If you can't (or won't) get on with it then it just isn't the type of trans implementation for you. Auto, SCT and DCT all have their place in the automotive spectrum.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:34 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
I'd be surprised if the next gen of Aston sports cars doesn't have a dual clutch transmission (with the usual slush boxes for the GTs, and, if Palmer keeps his promise, sticks for the sports as well).

That being said, I'm not clear on what you are asking of Aston today. Admit publicly that their choice of an automated manual was a "goofy design decision" or a "major defect"? Or admit publicly that they don't have enough money to re-engineer their current (soon to be superseded) platform to accept a dual clutch? In what way would you like them to "bend over backwards" right now to keep you happy?

Also unclear as to what you expected from someone manning a booth at an auto show. I'm willing to bet the average enthusiast / 6speed forum member knows more about the cars than most of the people working the exhibits, never mind the salespeople at the dealerships!

Old 04-08-2015, 11:30 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
The sport-shift is love it or hate it, it seems. I have a manual, and have always owned a manual car since I started driving. But I found the ASM2 in the V8VS I test drove to be fine so long as you're shifting it yourself. I wouldn't want the transmission, but it is what it is.

Some days my knees don't like working a clutch. I'm young, but I messed up my knees and back while I was in the Marines so my body acts older than it should. At some point I'm expecting manual cars will be outside of my physical ability. If that time was now, I'd happily opt for an ASM car rather than a full-automatic. I know that's a really niche viewpoint, but it's an example of one of many cases in support of the transmission.

Originally Posted by spinecho
I'd be surprised if the next gen of Aston sports cars doesn't have a dual clutch transmission (with the usual slush boxes for the GTs, and, if Palmer keeps his promise, sticks for the sports as well).
The next gen are supposed to get AMG's dual clutch and supposedly some get a manual option

Last edited by telum01; 04-08-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
My SL63 had an amazing transmission, but it wasn't without its problems. Mostly centered around "comfort" driving in stop and go traffic.

Most issues were resolved by flashing the transmission to not shift below 3rd gear in "comfort" mode.

But all in all, the gearbox was lightning quick and amazingly smooth on shifts... I welcome the AMG partnerships, and hope it extends well into the exhaust note.

(I miss the growl and spitting on the SL63... not to mention that sweet "whump" between shifts...)

Old 04-08-2015, 02:58 PM
fbiguy is on a distinguished road
I understand both sides of that argument all too well. I started with the 09 V8V and 'learned' to drive the ASM. Yet, there were still situations at slow speeds where my wife appeared to be listening to some serious thrash metal. I ended up in a DB9 with an auto, which was perfectly behaved in those slower situations, but left me wanting when I did get to drive briskly. (Despite the fact that it seemed to shift just as quickly in paddle mode.) One day, I found myself at the dealership and they eschewed the virtues of the ASM2. I wound up in a V8VS and decided it was a big improvement. But then my wife got a new job and I wound up in city traffic in the Vantage almost daily. I drove it in paddle shift mode exclusively in the manner suggested, and in town, it was still a bit of a burden. I didn't mind the fun noises, it suits the car. But one trip in a parking garage on a holiday weekend was all it took for me to decide it wasn't for me again. I am once again in a DB9 with an auto and I find myself pining for the more visceral feel. When I mentioned at at the latest gathering at my dealership, they suggested a V12VS and the ASM3. I totally get the transmission and even though I know the proper way to to drive it, I just can't live with it for an extended period it seems.

I think I will wait and see what the new cars have in store.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:58 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by nanohead
So I went to the NY auto show today, stopped by the Aston exhibit. They had their crazy new car there, it looks odd, not my taste. I got to take a look at a Vanquish Roadster, which I think I'm in love with, and am thinking about buying.

Then someone working the booth actually talked to me, and I mentioned I had a V8 Vantage, and was likely getting rid of it due to the Sportshift issues.

Like a robot, she started to recite the corporate line. She basically told me that I had no idea how to drive the car, and that if I just learned how to drive it correctly, I would like it. It was painful, and very consistent with what other members here have been told by the dealers and others associated with the company. Heck, even some members here recite that mumbo jumbo.

It was clear to me that she had been trained to have this Pavlovian response to anyone mentioning anything about the horrific Sportshift. She even went so far as to tell me I'd have to learn how to drive an automated manual. Funny, I told her I had a Cayman with a PDK and an R8 with an R-Tronic, she was basically clueless.

The short of it is, that it seems like our friends at Aston have basically done a brilliant job of covering their ***** here, instead of taking responsibility for a terrible product.

Those of us who buy these kinds of cars accept goofy design decisions and poor implementations of high concepts, because the overall car tickles our fancy enough to look past the deficiencies. Personally though, I'm surprised that Aston has institutionally behaved this poorly on this issue. I expect it from (and have had it happen from) GM, Nissan, Honda, etc. High volume auto manufacturers go out of their way to deny poor decisions, or major defects. Its disgusting, but I understand the fight or flight mechanism at these behemoth companies.

But Aston is bordering on bankruptcy on a constant basis, and it surprises me that they don't bend over backwards to keep their clientele that can afford their lovely cars happy.

I'm in total lust with the Vanquish Roadster, it is magnificent. I could buy one tomorrow if I wasn't spooked by the company's denial mechanism. But for now, I'll wait and see
I Agree with you, I hate being talked into something I know isn't right. However there is an easy solution just buy a six speed manual like my 2007 Vantage it's a wonderful transmission. Then you can drive the car and it won't drive you.
Ron

Old 04-27-2015, 07:19 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by nanohead

On one hand, you're unhappy with the company for their apparent arrogance and disrespect of their customers, but then you mention that you're considering buying another. Consumers vote with their dollars. Sales are the reward for whatever behavior a company exhibits.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:10 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by blue2000s
On one hand, you're unhappy with the company for their apparent arrogance and disrespect of their customers, but then you mention that you're considering buying another. Consumers vote with their dollars. Sales are the reward for whatever behavior a company exhibits.
Ummm, what?
He pretty clearly said that he's taking a wait and see attitude. Not voting either way right now.

And, as a total brand fan boy, I'll just advocate for buying that Vanquish. Especially the Volante, it's a truly beautiful and brilliant car. When I'm ready, I will have one.

But for now I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of my S with the SSII. I've test driven them and don't think I'll miss that third pedal for a moment. I don't expect it to be anything like the DSG in my GTI. Hell, I'd hate if it were.

It is unfortunate that the spokesperson wasn't able to just hear you and express the company's commitment to new, better products. Just say, sorry the SS wasn't for you, have you tried out the 8 speed ZF in the Vanquish?