Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

vantage starting up from storage

Old 04-08-2015, 08:48 PM
action-ant is on a distinguished road
vantage starting up from storage

Hey guys,

I was following a thread about winter storage tips, and one tip was to floor the gas pedal upon start up, which was supposed to cut fuel and allow oil to be pumped through the motor. I have a 2009 with ASM, and so I inserted the key fob partially, depressed the gas pedal fully, and then pressed the key fob fully as if I was trying to start the engine. However, the oil light never went off, and I didn't hear any noises indicating anything was happening. After a few tries, I thought "well maybe I need to left foot brake, since I am supposed to have the brake depressed during start up". When I tried that, I ended up gunning the engine to life and totally scared myself, as I was not expecting that. Anyways, am I missing something? Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Anthony

Old 04-08-2015, 11:05 PM
spf1410 has a spectacular aura aboutspf1410 has a spectacular aura about
Great story. I probably would have shat myself if that happened, bravo for not soiling your kit.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:53 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
I've always flicked the ASM box in to neutral before doing this

Old 04-09-2015, 12:24 PM
Hah! The car was definitely in neutral. Just couldn't figure out how to get oil circulating before engine firing up. Has anyone ever pulled this procedure off?

Old 04-09-2015, 12:45 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
I have, but only with the manual transmission

Old 04-09-2015, 02:59 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Works fine on my cars. Just hold your foot all the way to the floor (press hard and don't let go!). It does take some time for oil pressure to build, but it will and the red light will go out. Then release pedal, and perform normal start.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the confirmation. Do you remember approximately how long it took before the oil light turned off? Were there any noises coming from the engine or underneath the car at all?

Thanks again,

Anthony

Old 04-09-2015, 05:47 PM
AMCan will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by action-ant
Thanks for the confirmation. Do you remember approximately how long it took before the oil light turned off? Were there any noises coming from the engine or underneath the car at all?

Thanks again,

Anthony
Just did this on my manual. Took about 10 seconds for the oil light to go out. Just normal cranking noise.
Pedal was at the floor.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:55 PM
Thanks AMCan. So you heard the engine cranking over? Maybe this feature doesn't work on the ASM's? The engine was not turning over and nothing was happening. It wasn't until I left foot braked and when I depressed the engine start button, it cranked over, caught and fired up. Bah!

Old 04-10-2015, 01:10 AM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Thanks AMCan. So you heard the engine cranking over? Maybe this feature doesn't work on the ASM's? The engine was not turning over and nothing was happening. It wasn't until I left foot braked and when I depressed the engine start button, it cranked over, caught and fired up. Bah!
Like I said from personal experience it works on ASM1 & ASM2 no issues.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:10 AM
AMCan will become famous soon enough
Yes the engine was cranking normally. Transmission in neutral, other foot on brake.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:44 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
You do realize you have to press and hold the start button to crank the engine to build oil pressure, not just hold the pedal to the floor, don't you?

Old 04-10-2015, 03:49 PM
Yep, as I stated in the first post, I did depress and hold down the start button, but the motor did not crank over. When I tried again with left foot brake on, the engine cranked and fired up.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:46 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
did you take the foot off the gas and depress it again?

Old 04-12-2015, 05:54 PM
On previous attempts, I did not lift off the gas pedal at all. I depressed and kept the pedal down, then depressed and held the engine start button down for 10-15 seconds with no engine cranking sound and the oil light never went off. On the last attempt, I depressed and held the gas pedal down, used my left foot to press the brake pedal (to get the engine start to light up red), and pressed the engine start button. The engine cranked and immediately fired up and revved before I lifted off the gas pedal.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: vantage starting up from storage