Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Oil level too high - What's the easiest way to correct?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 06:16 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Oil level on the Vantage is still somewhat confusing. If you read the manual it states that when cold there should be oil registered on the dipstick. Some time ago I looked at my dipstick after the car sat overnight. There was no oil on the dipstick. I added oil until it just touched the dipstick. I started the car and followed the procedure for testing the oil level. The dipstick showed oil above the full mark. I removed the excess with a turkey suction thing that was unused from the kitchen. When I finally had the oil changed at the dealer I asked the tech how he checked the oil. He said that they do not. They put in a specific amount of oil. The dipstick is never used.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:05 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Wel,the V8 uses about 10 L, including the amount in the filter, I change my oil often and when cold the oil is around the full mark in the tank.
i am aware of the checking procedure, but is a pain, the dry sump is not the same as a car with a wet sump so I fail to see how it can hydro lock the crank?
The old is circulated through the engine and back to the tank so having a bit extra there can't harm or am I missing something?
i have 33000 km on my car and have reved it High on some very spirited runs I have no signs of leaks nor have I had any problems related to oil over the years.
Regarding a quick oil change I do a oil and filter change in around 20 mins I fail to see the big deal, I don't remove the metal washable filters every time as my thinking is in the past they have shown zero signs of contamination and you run the risk of getting leaks ...so I pull the oil out the tank with a suction pump (oil hot) this takes around 10 mins, unscrew the filter with a chain wrench and spin on a new filter

I own a set of ramps that I extend so the Vantage can drive up this makes getting to the filter a quick job, my car has had a oil change at least every year and the oil has never seen more 2000km between changes in my opinion this is the cheapest engineering safety net I can give this car
10L of Castrol 10W60 is about 65 USD and that is a no brainer investment I learnt from aero engine experts change the oil regularly and I truly believe in this.

my concern now with new cars despite the technology in the new oils is how can the manufacturers allow 20000km to in some cases 26000 between service intervals?? In the case of my Landrover they will only replace it every 26K! Crazy

Old 12-19-2018, 01:17 PM
englishmatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by embdenb
Oil level on the Vantage is still somewhat confusing. If you read the manual it states that when cold there should be oil registered on the dipstick. Some time ago I looked at my dipstick after the car sat overnight. There was no oil on the dipstick. I added oil until it just touched the dipstick. I started the car and followed the procedure for testing the oil level. The dipstick showed oil above the full mark. I removed the excess with a turkey suction thing that was unused from the kitchen. When I finally had the oil changed at the dealer I asked the tech how he checked the oil. He said that they do not. They put in a specific amount of oil. The dipstick is never used.
You are supposed to start he car from cold, let is idle for 20 seconds. Turn it off, then wait for 30 seconds and check the dipstick. It's a dry sump car so there is a procedure to follow.

Strangely, the same is true for my KTM motorcycles that are dry sump. You can't just check the dipstick from cold... it won't register anything (as you've seen).

Old 12-20-2018, 08:00 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Get the cheapie extractor for $15...i found the turkey baster couldn't get deep enough to drain the oil I needed to remove. and I made a mess...

Old 10-17-2021, 12:57 PM
howzz1854 will become famous soon enough
guys, how much above the max line is considered too much that warrants sucking it out.

my car came back from service this time slightly above the max, like i would say 250ml more than the max, so 1cm above the max line, aka a quarter of a 1L bottle. these oil reservoirs have some margin of error built in right? this is the first time that they "slightly overfilled it. in the past it always came back either spot on to the max or below. makes me think that maybe not all of the old oil got completely drained out.

Last edited by howzz1854; 10-17-2021 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:40 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by howzz1854
guys, how much above the max line is considered too much that warrants sucking it out.

my car came back from service this time slightly above the max, like i would say 250ml more than the max, so 1cm above the max line, aka a quarter of a 1L bottle. these oil reservoirs have some margin of error built in right? this is the first time that they "slightly overfilled it. in the past it always came back either spot on to the max or below. makes me think that maybe not all of the old oil got completely drained out.
I would pull out the amount that is over the line. The line indicates Aston's recommended max fill amount. I would assume Aston has considered tolerances.

Old 10-27-2021, 05:17 PM
voodoocat is on a distinguished road
ECS Tuning has Schwaben fluid extractor for sale