Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Oil level too high - What's the easiest way to correct?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 06:41 AM
der Fahrer is on a distinguished road
Oil level too high - What's the easiest way to correct?

Long story short I checked my oil level after servicing at the dealer (cold start, 2000rpm for 20 secs, wait 30 seconds), and the oil level was above the top mark on the dip stick. In fact it was almost at the point where the stick transitions from flat to cylindrical.

Obviously the easiest way to correct is to have the dealer fix their mistake, but I'm not wild about driving around too much in this condition, nor am I convinced they would do a great job the second time around.

Lacking a jack that's low enough to lift my car, can I do anything with a modified turkey baster or something of the sort? :P Am I being irrational about a high oil level?

Thanks fellas

Old 04-22-2015, 07:37 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Old 04-22-2015, 07:56 AM
I was thinking that's the kind of thing I should get. Not sure if I'd want to "change" the oil this way, but perfect for my situation.

Two questions:
First, would the tube from the pump fit deep enough into the dip stick hole? I imagine I'd also have to run the engine for a minute to soften the oil and get it pumped up from the sump.

Second, what about the "Air Power America 5060 Topsider"? I can get it in two days via Amazon prime. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001445IZ8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_zI6nvb026G2HD

Old 04-22-2015, 10:27 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Turkey baster, YEA!

Save your money, use the turkey baster. Easy, peasy.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:04 AM
I always prefer multiple-use tools for the garage and the kitchen. Might try a couple silly straws tonight.

Actually I just bought an oil suction gun for $16 on Amazon. I'll post back here with the results.

Last edited by der Fahrer; 04-22-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:13 AM
flinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to beholdflinder is a splendid one to behold
Turkey baster, YEA!

Turkey basters cost a dollar, 79 cents when on sale. Use it, purchase a new one for the volume kitchen user, girlfriend, wife or mom. Everyone is happy.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:14 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
not sure that the extra oil can do any damage, it expands sure but the tank is big and 800ml to 100ml cant hurt it its a dry sump so no problem what say the gurus?

Old 04-22-2015, 05:59 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Been using one of those for almost 2 decades and I love it. Unfortunately, the Melbourne heat finally caused the plastic handle to crack, so I've resorted to using a pair of vise grips as a makeshift handle.

Can't recommend that tool enough, though.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by captain Greg
not sure that the extra oil can do any damage, it expands sure but the tank is big and 800ml to 100ml cant hurt it its a dry sump so no problem what say the gurus?
Kinda what I was thinking given that it's pumped from the reservoir, but better safe than sorry. I like things to be within spec.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:10 PM
AJN334 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captain Greg
That is not true, overfilling the motor with oil can damage or seize the engine. Oil can get into the combustion chamber and hydrolock the motor or could cause the crankshaft to rotate incorrectly causing engine destruction. Don't drive the car until the oil levels are reduced! It is so sad dealers can be this careless. This level of carelessness is becoming far to common!

Old 04-24-2015, 06:37 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
+1 with the cheap turkey baster. There's longer ones too out there at a home goods store. Make sure to get a new one and not use it for food after, it's pretty much impossible to clean it.

-RyanG

Old 04-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Quick update: got the tool today and this evening managed to suck out what I'd estimate is ~1.5-2 quarts. I think it should be back in spec, but I'll check again after it's had time to sit overnight. Appreciate the tips guys!

Old 04-24-2015, 07:18 PM
I want to make sure this thread is complete in case anyone else has this happen to them.

I purchased the OTC 2359 Oil Suction Gun off Amazon for $15. One step up from a turkey baster, but cheaper and smaller than a full-on oil change vacuum kit.

Here it is against the dip stick for scale:
Name:  YUKfSN1.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  153.8 KB

The hardest part about this was getting the slightly curved tube all the way down the dip stick hole. I'm sure if you took a heat gun to it you could straighten it out better, but I managed to make it work. The other aspect is keeping the oil from going everywhere, so it worked best to towel off the tube as you pulled it out, capping the end with your finger once it reached the surface.

Pretty stupid DIY I guess, but hopefully it'll be useful to someone else down the road.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:12 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Has anyone tried an extractor on a Vantage? It makes changing oil really easy on a car with a wet sump but I'd be interested to hear about how much oil can be removed on our dry sump car. It would seem that with all the drain points, an extractor is unlikely to be effective.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:57 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flinder
Save your money, use the turkey baster. Easy, peasy.
That was also my first thought

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil level too high - What's the easiest way to correct?