Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Think it would be possible to import a Cygnet?

Old 04-30-2015, 11:26 PM
DjShift is on a distinguished road
Question Think it would be possible to import a Cygnet?

Just a quick question here, think it would be possible to import a Cygnet into the states? I'm not sure why but i just love those things.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:09 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
I'd get one if I could, and if the price is right. Just to be different, lol.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:36 AM
Do you think they'd let it through customs though without having to go through a ton of trouble? Or would i be dealing with the same issues as trying to import something like a Skyline into the states?

Old 05-01-2015, 07:41 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Best bet is to prove it's a Toyota iQ, but I'm not sure how the LHD/RHD bit will play into it since they're only RHD.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the correction!

Damn, 33k EUR ($37k USD)... that's still way too steep for something I'd be getting just for giggles.

Last edited by telum01; 05-01-2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:55 AM
I think i'm going to try to start the process sometime within the next month or two then. I'll make a few calls, have one checked out to see if it'll make it through, and if it starts to get too difficult to the point where i know i'm going to be doubling the price i'll let go of it but i'm really wanting to get one now. Would be a really unique car in America, that's for sure.

Was between the Cygnet or the V8 Vantage but the Cygnet is smaller, cheaper to maintain, and gets much better gas mileage so that's more what i'm leaning towards right now, at least until i get more money but at that point i may just go for an Ariel Atom instead.

Thanks guys!

Old 05-01-2015, 06:33 PM
RossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond reputeRossL has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DjShift
I think i'm going to try to start the process sometime within the next month or two then. I'll make a few calls, have one checked out to see if it'll make it through, and if it starts to get too difficult to the point where i know i'm going to be doubling the price i'll let go of it but i'm really wanting to get one now. Would be a really unique car in America, that's for sure.

Was between the Cygnet or the V8 Vantage but the Cygnet is smaller, cheaper to maintain, and gets much better gas mileage so that's more what i'm leaning towards right now, at least until i get more money but at that point i may just go for an Ariel Atom instead.

Thanks guys!
Well that's a head scratcher...comparing a V8V to the Cygnet and throwing in the Atom as the end game car.

If you really want a Cygnet just ask your local Aston dealer to get you one. They'll tell you how hard it is or if it's possible. My guess is it's not possible due to US safety laws. Even if it is I wouldn't bother as it'll cost you a fortune paying to get the car here since someone has to drop it off at the boat, someone has to pick it up, someone has to wait for the shipper, and someone has to ship it. And all of this is before you even started dealing with getting it titled or getting it through customs.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:14 PM
keitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of light
Your first questions are whether Cygnets conform to US DoT rules and regulations (crash tests etc), and EPA emissions standards (note that CA has it's own rules). Given the cost of achieving such certification, and the low production volume, I very much doubt it would have made business sense for AM to do so.

The Toyota iQ is sold as the Scion iQ in the US. Good luck convincing the bean counters that from a safety and emissions pov, that and the Cygnet are the same.

But you will indeed have a unique car if you can somehow pull it off!

Last edited by keitheva; 05-03-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:50 PM
Keitheva, By CA do you mean Canada or California? Because i am planning on having it shipped to New York and then moving to California shortly after (like, days after) i get it on the roads. Either California or Hawaii really, haven't decided which just yet.

RossL, Thank you for the advice! i contacted Aston Martin Long Island last night about it and the first person who picked up the phone didn't want to comment whether he thinks it would be possible or not because he just didn't really know enough about the Cygnets but he said there's someone else there who would so i'll be calling back on Monday. And yes, i do have some rather different dream cars. lol.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:26 PM
keitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of lightkeitheva is a glorious beacon of light
Keitheva, By CA do you mean Canada or California? Because i am planning on having it shipped to New York and then moving to California shortly after (like, days after) i get it on the roads. Either California or Hawaii really, haven't decided which just yet.
California. Doesn't matter where it's been first, to register it in CA it has to be EPA certified for CA for that model year.

I think you should contact AM in the UK and ask them these questions.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by keitheva
California. Doesn't matter where it's been first, to register it in CA it has to be EPA certified for CA for that model year.

I think you should contact AM in the UK and ask them these questions.
Yeah, i wasn't having it brought to NY to get around any laws, i was just wondering if it's harder to get into CA than NY because i'll be moving across the country for college very soon.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:07 PM
Yeah, i wasn't having it brought to NY to get around any laws, i was just wondering if it's harder to get into CA than NY because i'll be moving across the country for college very soon.
Yes, it is harder to get it into CA because the emissions laws are tougher than other states. It all just depends if AM bothered to make it 50 state legal when they had no plans to sell the car here (= very unlikely). Like I said, ask AM.

Old 05-03-2015, 04:30 PM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
I don't think its possible. You can't even import a UK Honda Civic because of these ridiculous rules

Old 05-03-2015, 11:11 PM
Bleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of lightBleen is a glorious beacon of light
Do not do this...

It's cheaper to buy a US iQ and convert it!

http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/jamie-l...ns-aston-scion

iQ + $10k in parts from astonmartinbits

Old 05-04-2015, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by Bleen
Do not do this...

It's cheaper to buy a US iQ and convert it!

http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/jamie-l...ns-aston-scion

iQ + $10k in parts from astonmartinbits
But then it wouldn't be a Scion or an Aston Martin.

I'm wanting it as both a daily driver and a show car.