Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Just re-lowered my DBS. Amazing alternative to springs and coilovers.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 03:23 PM
anton28 will become famous soon enough
Just re-lowered my DBS. Amazing alternative to springs and coilovers.

After being completed disappointed with the HR springs on my DBS as they completely destroyed the ride quality of the car, I set out on a mission to solve this problem. Being a DBS owner, there is nothing out there as far as spring or coilover options besides HR so I had to do something custom. The first step I took was to contact Penske and talk to them about building me a custom coilover set with remote reservoirs which I ran on my previous viper with great results. The car was slammed 2" and the ride was like factory if not better. This set up was extreme, with different sprint rates, rebound and compression adjustments but we dialed it in perfectly and the car was very enjoyably. After speaking with a Penske rep and getting him all the needed measurements I stumbled across an old thread talking about custom coilover set ups on this forum. One comment talked about sleeving the factory shock with an adjustable spring perch that would allow you to utilize the factory spring and lower the car, in which would retain the factory ride and obtain the lowered look. I spoke with a local performance shop and we started our research. What we ended up finding out is that the DBS rear and front upper control arms wont allow the adjustable "Nut" run through as its to wide so this idea was scratched.

Now for the solution! As we had the suspension apart we noticed the factory DBS struts have a spring perch thats is "clipped" in place with a retaing clip. What we did is remove that clip, slid off the spring perch and noticed a machined groove which the clip sat in. Well the rest is very self exploratory. We machined 5 new groves below the stock one, all 1/4 inch apart and started playing around with the adjustments. Long story short we got the ride height exactly as it was with my HR springs and the car now rides like stock. Nice and smooth!!! I still have another .5 adjustment in the rear and .25 front if I wanted to go lower but there's no way. LOL

I didn't take very detailed pics through out the process but have made you guys a few images below that will hopefully explain what we did. I'm sure this will work on any Aston. This cost me $1600 all together and its worth every penny. Best of all its completely reversible.

We also spoke about having 1/8th shims made to allow for further adjustment. These shims would sit on top of the spring perch and below the spring to give the spring a bit more lift if you are trying to get an extra 1/8 out of the ride height. But with the new grooves we were able to set the ride height with out anything else and got the height identical to what the HR specs were.

Hope this helps another owner/s with the same frustrations as I had to deal with. Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Is its spelled purch or perch LOL sorry about that.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	421175   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	456.8 KB
ID:	421178  
Attached Images   
Old 05-30-2015, 07:57 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

I love it when people get all innovative with their cars to achieve a goal!

Last edited by deckman; 05-30-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by deckman
I love it when people get all innovative with their cars to achieve a goal!
Thanks man!

Old 05-30-2015, 08:17 PM
mikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to allmikey k is a name known to all
Neat trick!
I'll have to look into doing that on my Vantage!

Old 06-06-2015, 08:33 AM
ArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the roughArtB is a jewel in the rough
Nice work! Very simple and innovative! How much did the machine shop charge you to have this done? There is always more than one way to skin a cat!

Old 06-06-2015, 08:48 AM
RS4-Brian will become famous soon enoughRS4-Brian will become famous soon enough
Very nice work! Makes me wonder about similar applications in other cars.

This concept is basically the same as the adjustable front Bilstein shocks on my F150.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by ArtB
Nice work! Very simple and innovative! How much did the machine shop charge you to have this done? There is always more than one way to skin a cat!
Thanks! I had my local shop do all the work including machining. All the labor was really in taking off and installing the struts a few times and test fitting all to make sure we ended up with the same ride hight as I had with HR springs. I basically told them my concept and they ran with it. I'm sure if you took this project on your self, the machining portion would be fairly cheep. Maybe 100 bucks per shock if that.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by RS4-Brian
Very nice work! Makes me wonder about similar applications in other cars.

This concept is basically the same as the adjustable front Bilstein shocks on my F150.
You can apply this concept to any car. We lucked out with the DBS having clipped in spring perches. If they were welded it would take much more time to get the adjustment right.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:25 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
I don't understand who those tiny, shallow ridges are strong enough to hold up the spring perches.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:35 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Stronger than a weld bead. Perch keeps the C clip from expanding, so the only way to fail would be to force the considerable height of the non groove land downwards...not going to happen.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:56 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
Damn this is ballsy!

Originally Posted by karlfranz
I don't understand who those tiny, shallow ridges are strong enough to hold up the spring perches.
My thoughts as well - but if it's sound then it's pretty awesome.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Stronger than a weld bead. Perch keeps the C clip from expanding, so the only way to fail would be to force the considerable height of the non groove land downwards...not going to happen.
Very well said!

Old 06-09-2015, 04:02 PM
You gotta love engineering!

Old 06-10-2015, 03:19 AM
rscultho is on a distinguished road
Does this affect the alignment geometry?

Old 06-10-2015, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by rscultho
Does this affect the alignment geometry?
The same as lowering with aftermarket springs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just re-lowered my DBS. Amazing alternative to springs and coilovers.