Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Huge rock chip on hood

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 07:06 AM
koolkat1973 will become famous soon enough
Huge rock chip on hood

So I have a huge rock chip on the hood of my Vantage and it's bugging the heck out of me. Does anyone know what I can do with this chip? I'm hesitant to put out $150 for a bottle of touch up paint only to make it look worse without proper application. Are there are detailing place that can fix this chip? I'm local to the Northern Virginia area.

Here's a picture of the nasty rock chip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rock Chip Aston.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	490.4 KB
ID:	423076

Old 06-30-2015, 07:27 AM
I've been googling around this morning and found Dr. ColorChip. Does anyone here have any experience with Dr. ColorChip? Thanks.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:13 AM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
I would give Automotive Touchup a try. I have used them a few times and there paint matching was absolutely perfect. I couldn't be happier after the few times I have used them. I believe their website is "www.automotivetouchup.com". Good luck!

Old 06-30-2015, 10:18 AM
yankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond reputeyankee04 has a reputation beyond repute
+1 on color match but that chip is deep & probably want a professional to fix it.

Originally Posted by dan87951
I would give Automotive Touchup a try. I have used them a few times and there paint matching was absolutely perfect. I couldn't be happier after the few times I have used them. I believe their website is "www.automotivetouchup.com". Good luck!

Old 06-30-2015, 11:07 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
I would have had it on a trailer to the shop and had it fixed. bad luck that chip, I think its to big to fix and it will annoy you forever.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:27 AM
SandmanG500 is on a distinguished road
I lived in Charlottesville for good old five years. Over time trucks from countryside spread rocks/sands on the highway. I f-ing HATE that. Anyway, I used Dent Dudes couple times to get my RR repaired. I am sure they can get the rock chip repaired nearly perfect.

I just don't know if they will travel to Nova....
http://dentdudes.net/
540-915-6700

Old 07-01-2015, 07:22 AM
That was my fear also that the chip was too deep. I could see some clearcoat peeling off the outer diameter of the chip. Seems like that needs to be sanded off before doing any type of touching up. I will call a couple of places around NOVA area to see if they can fix this. Thanks again.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:29 AM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry about the chip. Don't use Dr. ColorChip. It is waste of time and money.

Originally Posted by koolkat1973
I've been googling around this morning and found Dr. ColorChip. Does anyone here have any experience with Dr. ColorChip? Thanks.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:45 AM
I contacted http://www.mobilecardoc.com/ to get an estimate.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:50 AM
oo7
oo7 will become famous soon enoughoo7 will become famous soon enough
I experienced the same thing. Had dent removal expert make level again and had one of the "best" aka the "magician of Manhiem" address it and it is just barely acceptable. If you don't respray, please post pics of your results, as we all face this issue at some point and it would be a great reference.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:55 AM
speedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the roughspeedracer800 is a jewel in the rough
I've used the Dr Colorchip to address the small chips that are so common along the side skirts near rear tires.. Just crazy how soft this paint is. Had good luck with the product for that application but unfortunately looks like what you have is far beyond what Dr is capable of.. Good luck.. I feel for ya..

Old 07-03-2015, 10:07 AM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
A truly talented detailer may be able to fix it very well. I had a chip on one car and a scratch on another that were superbly repaired by my detailer. He made up touch up paint, and carefully layered it into the chip/scratch, slowly building it up until it completely filled the flaw and was a little higher than the surrounding paint. After letting it completely dry, which may take a few days, he carefully wet-sanded it down to the level of the rest of the paint (without removing too much paint). The chip is barely noticeable, the scratch completely gone unless you know EXACTLY where it was and get within about an inch of it, and even then it's nearly impossible to find even a trace of it.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:15 PM
I guess the key for me is to find a "talented" detailer in my area that can do the job. The hard part is to find that talented detailer. The color on my car is supposed Monaco Blue but I can't seem to find the color code. Does anyone know what the color code is for Monaco Blue? Thanks.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:52 PM
SandmanG500 is on a distinguished road
A detailer is not capable of doing the job. You have to understand they do quick turnaround fix. A proper hail damage repair should be done by a body shop, who is gonna 220grit sand down the surrounding, apply primer, sand down 400, 800, 1000, and 2000grits, apply paint and clearcoat. This should be done inside a booth with bake to cure the polyurethane.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:05 PM
Speedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud ofSpeedraser has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SandmanG500
A detailer is not capable of doing the job. You have to understand they do quick turnaround fix.
From personal experience, this is NOT necessarily true. My detailer spent the time (a lot), and the results are superb. Importantly, the paint remains original. Also, if the OP finds a detailer who is capable of doing this properly, there is little harm in trying it -- if it doesn't come out to his satisfaction, he can go down the bodyshop/repainting path afterwards.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Huge rock chip on hood