6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   V8 vantage knock/tapping sound (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/368880-v8-vantage-knock-tapping-sound.html)

Hocdoc527 07-12-2015 07:34 PM

V8 vantage knock/tapping sound

So computer say cylinder 3 bad. Car makes on/off knocking/tapping sound. How do you determine if it's coil or the actual bearing? Please help.

deckman 07-12-2015 08:31 PM

What computer application told you it was #3?

Hocdoc527 07-12-2015 08:46 PM

Deckman my mechanic did on his computer. That's all I know. If I take to dealer and they say is coils n plugs.... Then I pay for that and it's not are they responsible to fix? I've been told could be bearing in engine by mechanic. What do I do??? Aargh!! Thanks.

deckman 07-13-2015 06:06 AM

How many miles on your car? I am not an expert on mechanical things with this brand. AM is new to me. Hopefully someone will chime in that can better help.

Hocdoc527 07-13-2015 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by deckman (Post 4369947)
How many miles on your car? I am not an expert on mechanical things with this brand. AM is new to me. Hopefully someone will chime in that can better help.

26900 miles

MRY 07-13-2015 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Hocdoc527
Deckman my mechanic did on his computer. That's all I know. If I take to dealer and they say is coils n plugs.... Then I pay for that and it's not are they responsible to fix? I've been told could be bearing in engine by mechanic. What do I do??? Aargh!! Thanks.

Did the mechanic have the ability to look at the can messages and see if the misfire is logged in the ECU?

How did the mechanic diagnose that it was a bearing knock? Main bearing or Rod bearing?

The dealer should be able to tell you if it is the coils that are bad without too much trouble by using the factory scanner.

If you have a bearing issue, you also should find out what caused it. If either bearing is that bad that it knocks, I would not drive the car, as if the bearings are spun, you can damage the crank by using the engine.

Hope that helps..

Hocdoc527 07-13-2015 07:44 PM

I bought the car in dec 2014 w 20,908 miles from a friend who is a car broker. They put new clutch in before I purchased. I never beat up car! Now at 26500 miles. There is a tapping/knocking sound the emissions message came on.... As far as 3rd cylinder I only know he hooked up car to computer laptop. If it's a bearing how much does that cost. It's 2007 vantage v8 w engine upgrade and performance chip. I feel like I got screwed over. 55k down the drain. Any help is appreciated.

MRY 07-13-2015 08:56 PM

I bought the car in dec 2014 w 20,908 miles from a friend who is a car broker. They put new clutch in before I purchased. I never beat up car! Now at 26500 miles. There is a tapping/knocking sound the emissions message came on.... As far as 3rd cylinder I only know he hooked up car to computer laptop. If it's a bearing how much does that cost. It's 2007 vantage v8 w engine upgrade and performance chip. I feel like I got screwed over. 55k down the drain. Any help is appreciated.

If it's a bearing, you're in for an expensive repair. If the main bearing spun, you will need to have the crank and block checked to see if you can replace it with stock, or oversized bearing. If it's a rod bearing, you will need to see if you can replace with stock or oversized depending on if the crankshaft needs turning or not.

It seems that you might need the car examined by a competent Aston mechanic that has the tools. If you are not mechanically inclined, tow the car to a reputable shop and have them do a proper diagnosis.

If you are very lucky it will be a bad coil or plug. Even if it sounds odd to me that there is knocking from that. Unless the coil is misfiring and causing detonation.

If it is a rod or main bearing, there's much more work to take it apart and put it all back together again.

Where are you located? Some on the forum may be able to recommend a good mechanic in your area..

Good luck

MRY 07-13-2015 09:00 PM

The upgrade and performance chip could have leaned the mixture out and caused detonation, especially if you got a tank of bad gasoline.

No telling what is encoded on the performance chip, so that's another thing to consider.

In either case, the car needs a proper diagnosis before you can determine how much it's going to cost to fix.

Hocdoc527 07-13-2015 09:36 PM

MRY,

I'm in S florida ft lauderdale area. How expensive do you think at worst case. Any other forum guys please help.

MRY 07-13-2015 09:51 PM

MRY,

I'm in S florida ft lauderdale area. How expensive do you think at worst case. Any other forum guys please help.

In the worst case, you spun the main bearing and damaged the block and crank. That means a new engine.

However, what I just wrote is meaningless until you get the car to a proper shop to diagnose. Unless and until you figure out what is actually wrong, it is useless to speculate about cost to fix. You will just get frustrated...

Start another thread for mechanic recommendations in Ft Lauderdale.. I don't know of shops in FL other than the dealers in the AM book.

Good luck

Hocdoc527 07-13-2015 10:15 PM

So towing to dealer and they say 10k+ to fix... Do I tow it back home? Trust me id love to hear it's just a coil. Do you have any idea the value of 07 AM v8 vantage that's has engine upgrade performance chip quick silver exhaust .... ?

Irish07@VelocityAP 07-14-2015 09:52 AM

If you have a knocking/tapping sound and also still presently have a cyl #3 misfire..I would fine another mechanic if they state it's possible a bearing spun, unless it's 2 different issues.

Take it to the dealer..I'm sure if the cyl#3 is the main area of the sound and also the misfire..your looking at the valvetrain or piston rings. I've yet to see the piston rings fault with normal use and not boost. My money would be on a cracked valve spring if noise and misfire are in same area..but that's just my 2cents

Hocdoc527 07-15-2015 04:43 AM

@irish07 thanks for your reply. Is what you're saying expensive to fix? Thanks for your thoughts too. Car will be towed to dealer soon.

Hocdoc527 07-18-2015 02:08 PM

If in fact its engine bearing would knocking sound be there on cold start?