6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Track Day - Expectations for Pre/ Post costs (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/368991-track-day-expectations-pre-post-costs.html)

mindscape9 07-14-2015 09:24 AM

Track Day - Expectations for Pre/ Post costs

Hey Guys,

There is a local track day coming up and I was wondering what kinds of maintenance/up-keep type expenses one can usually anticipate to get a car ready for a track-day and then back to safe road driving condition after a track day.

For reference, I have a MY12.25 V8V roadster, had 2YR service done in June. Have never tracked the car before.

I know there are a couple posts about track days (and a really good one by Telum on what to expect/do), so I guess my question is more specific to a track noob. What are the expected pre/post costs if 1) the car has not been tracked before and 2) will not be tracked regularly?

Any help is appreciated!

Irish07@VelocityAP 07-14-2015 09:32 AM

We do track events through Aston Martin as well, but it's rare clients drive there own cars (unless it's some 700hp modified monster the client wants to film on the track) . Aston Martin usually supplies the cars and clients drive them..this way your vehicle doesn't get the track beaten.

By doing everything this way, it's a guarantee the vehicle is track safe, all vehicles are inspected before the event and if necessary all repairs are done before track event

mindscape9 07-14-2015 09:47 AM

That is pretty interesting and definitely would be something I'd like to sign up for. This one is through the local AM dealer, but seems like we will be using our own cars based on this inclusion in the message:

"Each participating car is required to schedule and complete a
Track Inspection before the racing begins."

Irish07@VelocityAP 07-14-2015 09:54 AM

Well ours to is through the local dealer and done with Aston Martin, Aston sends the cars and few ppl from Gaydon to explain the vehicles and do a course lesson in theory and then on track for clients and press.

I don't think ours is to expressive neither..Guess each dealer has there own way..

007 Vantage 07-14-2015 10:05 AM

That is a different kind of track day Irish. Mindscape is referring to and independent track day where owners bring their own cars to a local circuit to enjoy for the day, not an OEM sponsored track test (which is basically a glorified marketing exercise, yes you use their cars but it is a very neutered experience).

Biggest expenses will be brake pads and tires. Rotors will last you a long time. Since you plan on only tracking this once rotors are not an issue. Even your pads and tires will probably not be an issue if the mileage is still relatively low.

My biggest recommendation is upgrade your brake fluid before hand! Nothing can ruin a track day experience faster than not having the proper brake fluid. I highly recommend doing a full brake flush with either Motul 660 or Castrol SRF (Castrol is he best option by far). They are slightly pricy but worth every penny. It is the best track day insurance you can buy. Nothing is worse than going into a corner and your brakes go out bc of excessive heat or fade.

If your tires are 50% or less plan on getting a new set soon after the track day (although you really shouldn't track with treadwear less than 30%). Brake pads you will probably be fine. Have at least 50% brake pads and you should be good.

Irish07@VelocityAP 07-14-2015 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by 007 Vantage (Post 4370698)
That is a different kind of track day Irish. Mindscape is referring to and independent track day where owners bring their own cars to a local circuit to enjoy for the day, not an OEM sponsored track test (which is basically a glorified marketing exercise, yes you use their cars but it is a very neutered experience).

Biggest expenses will be brake pads and tires. Rotors will last you a long time. Since you plan on only tracking this once rotors are not an issue. Even your pads and tires will probably not be an issue if the mileage is still relatively low.

My biggest recommendation is upgrade your brake fluid before hand! Nothing can ruin a track day experience faster than not having the proper brake fluid. I highly recommend doing a full brake flush with either Motul 660 or Castrol SRF (Castrol is he best option by far). They are slightly pricy but worth every penny. It is the best track day insurance you can buy. Nothing is worse than going into a corner and your brakes go out bc of excessive heat or fade.

If your tires are 50% or less plan on getting a new set soon after the track day (although you really shouldn't track with treadwear less than 30%). Brake pads you will probably be fine. Have at least 50% brake pads and you should be good.

Oh, Ok cool..well +1 on brake fluid and SRF, I use it in our GT4

XJRS Owner 07-14-2015 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by mindscape9 (Post 4370669)
Hey Guys,

There is a local track day coming up and I was wondering what kinds of maintenance/up-keep type expenses one can usually anticipate....

Any help is appreciated!

Make sure you get track insurance unless you can absorb the cost of a track misfortune!

mindscape9 07-14-2015 11:23 AM

Thanks guys! The track insurance is included in the cost of the day (~$300) so I think we should be good there.

On the brake fluid - I was reading the other thread open on brake fluid and thought that made sense. Given that I just had the 2yr service done with the brake fluid flush, do you guys still recommend getting the Castrol SRF and, if so, do you think it is easy enough for someone pretty inexperienced at working on their car to do that flush on their own?

Irish07@VelocityAP 07-14-2015 11:32 AM

If you just did a servie and they flushed with the spec fluid which is Castrol React Performance DOT 4.. I wouldn't lose any sleep, keep that fluid and save on the SRF

XJRS Owner 07-14-2015 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by mindscape9 (Post 4370773)
Thanks guys! The track insurance is included in the cost of the day (~$300) so I think we should be good there.

Make sure they are not talking about liability insurance. I've not heard of car damage insurance ever being included in a track day...at least not for $300 for the track day !?!

Here's an outfit for track day insurance: http://locktonmotorsports.com/product/hpde-insurance

telum01 07-14-2015 04:08 PM

If you've got fresh brake fluid in it from the dealership, it should be Castrol React that Irish mentioned - good stuff and if it's your first time on track, you'll be fine. You won't be pushing the car hard enough to outperform your brake fluid.

If you have at least 1/2 of the pad life left on your brake pads, you'll be fine. Same with your tires. People that burn through tires and brake pads quickly are generally really pushing their car - something you shouldn't be doing your first day out.

Since your annual service was done last month, there's no reason I can think of to worry about your car's condition beforehand. Afterwards it might be worthwhile to get a quick inspection done. Tires, brakes, fluid levels, all that - pretty standard and same as a basic checkup on any car. Just pay attention to how your car feels afterwards - clutch engagement, for example - for things that can't be easily checked like fluids can.

There are lemons out there that have issues, but these cars are surprisingly well-suited for abuse. You shouldn't have any real issue with a single track day.

Btw, if you're doing Road Atlanta - It's my favorite track that I've done! Soooo much fun and I really miss it :(

Originally Posted by mindscape9 (Post 4370669)
I know there are a couple posts about track days (and a really good one by Telum on what to expect/do), so I guess my question is more specific to a track noob.

For others to reference:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/347267-track-days-your-aston.html

DonL 07-14-2015 05:10 PM

Monitor tire pressures as well...

It sounds like your car will be just fine for the upcoming track day, as you have just had a service performed on your car.

I'm going slightly off topic, but as it's your first time on a track with your Aston, it's best to have a "coach" in the car (if available) with you for your initial laps.
It's amazing how a good coach can ease your concerns, impart their track knowledge to you and decrease your lap times as well!
Once you have overcome your initial apprehension, have at it on your own.

Don't forget that tire pressures will affect the handling of your Aston.
You may want to review the following thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rack-days.html

In any event, enjoy driving your Aston with "spirit" ;).

bluebarchetta 07-14-2015 09:07 PM

You have good guidance above. I'd echo lockton, or one of the other track day insurance programs. Things can happen that are not your fault. Make sure to take a good tire gauge with you.

Something to consider: tracking generally brings a higher exposure to stone chips on the front of the car and just behind the wheel wells. It's not likely that one trip to the track is going to do be any big deal. However if you're picky, you might consider some clear film.

007 Vantage 07-14-2015 11:19 PM

I HIGHLY recommend "TracWrap" for stone chips. It's temporary clear bra that you can put on for the track day and peel rig off without damaging paint. It's not quite as thick as clearbra, but it's super cheap for a full roll and you can put it in key strategic areas (right behind front wheels, behind rear wheels, and front bumper (unless you already have true clearbra on the car).

Front edge of the hood nose and headlights are also a wise decision as well.

http://www.tracwrap.com

spikemd 07-15-2015 09:52 AM

Sounds like you will have a great time. Track days are great fun and really gets your heart and mind racing! I always tell people it is the most intense experience. You are concentrating and processing so much... track, turn-in, braking, heel and toe, rear end, throttle and cars around you.

If you have a stick, I highly recommend practicing your heel and toe technique in everyday driving. Disrupting the balance of the car going into a turn can send you off the track.

Get a comfortable helmet. Your neck and shoulders will ache the next day.

Its the main wear areas that will take a beating, as mentioned... tires, brakes, brake fluid. Be sure you check your tires after each session for any blistering or uneven wear. I have seen people cook a tire to the cords in just a few sessions for misalignment.

Bring some masking tape to cover your lights as well as that Tractape. I want to take a look at that...

When you are done with a session, be sure you do some cool down laps. When you park it, leave the emergency brake OFF. Your rotors will be scorching. Just leave the car in gear and don't leave the brakes on for long period of time or you risk warping.

Have fun. Don't push it beyond your abilities, but these cars have a high limit.

I used to track my BMW quite a bit. Most fun you can have in a car. Hope to take my Aston to the track sometime.