6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   left front turn signal (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/371559-left-front-turn-signal.html)

cadman 08-18-2015 12:49 PM

left front turn signal

hello folks
i,m new here,and got an 07 v8v this summer, now the left front led turn signal is not working, the DRL'S and all other lights are working fine , is this led replaceable or the ballast ?? or does it mean a whole new headlight unit..
i would be gratefully thankfull for any info..ive read many posts on this and still not really sure

J doubleU 08-19-2015 06:21 AM

LED is not serviceable for the turn indicator. Unit replacement. Ballast is for the low beam HID only.

cadman 08-19-2015 10:34 PM

ok thanks for the reply, i noticed in the manual there is a DI resistor hooked
up to the turn signal , if this was blown would it cause the turn signal not to work,??

troyboy1 12-23-2015 11:13 PM

turn signal

Did you ever find out what the problem was? Mine stopped working too.

cadman 12-24-2015 08:21 AM

hi troyboy
yes i did find out,, in my case with the car not being a daily driver
i had time to investigate, i took the headlight unit out. i opened it
up removing the lens cover carefully.it is a permenant seal but it
will come apart,this is the only way to get at the inner workings,
most times it is the circuit board underneath the led light strip that
fails,due to condesation,i am not in any way an electronic expert,just looking for any visible broken parts, i did bench tested the leds first,they were all ok.i found on the circuit board that one of the components had come loose from its base,probably due to vibration, (see pic of the new part inplace), with a little search and the number off the loose part (102) , i bought two just incase it happens again on the right turn signal,i also bought two of part (221) as they are the same type of part,just a different value..the 4 components cost $10 thats including shipping..i had no clue
what would happen when i put it all back together,but figured it was worth the effort,because of the cost of a new or used unit. (big bucks).
to my delight it worked,and i have had no problem since, call it luck if you will..ive added some pics lens cover removed -inner workings board location-new component soldered on boardhttps://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...3c5ca2ba62.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...b8d71b361d.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...31f56cd58b.jpg

vince_1972 12-24-2015 08:57 AM

Excellent, great job!

Old phart 12-24-2015 09:24 AM

Great! So splitting the headlight open. You use a heat gun to soften up the glue?

telum01 12-24-2015 09:55 AM

Wow, fantastic job

handyman2009 12-24-2015 03:14 PM

Very interested in finding out how you got it open... using an oven or heatgun or something else... Thanks

Prefurbia 12-24-2015 03:22 PM

There is a guy in California that has done a ton of custom work including an Aston Martin's and sealed headlights and taillights are in the special effects with LED lighting. I'm traveling now so I don't have access to his name but he's on my previous post I'm fixing clear taillights.

sdekoning 12-24-2015 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by handyman2009 (Post 4445885)
Very interested in finding out how you got it open... using an oven or heatgun or something else... Thanks

Take a cardboard packing box and place the headlight inside. make a round hole and put a hairdryer (no paintstripper gun!) in there and run it for around 10mins. That will loosen up the perma-seal and you'll be able to pull the headlamp apart. Done this on many cars and works like a charm.

cadman 12-27-2015 10:01 AM

in my case ,i didnt have to use heat at all to separate the lens from the unit,
after carefully prying the tabs on the lens i was able to pull it apart by hand,
with a little effort.it is possible that a previous owner had taken it apart before
.if that is the case, he did a good job, nothing broken or scratched..

mkzhang 12-27-2015 10:19 AM

Wow, great job, solutions, and reference to vendors. Another potential problem down the road that I won't need to worry too much about :)

troyboy1 01-03-2016 07:53 PM

Outstanding work Cadman! You are a gentleman and a scholar!

boxercupdave 01-12-2016 10:19 AM

Hey many thanks as my left front turn signal is intermittent. This is something I will have to try on mine.

Had a rear turn signal go out but got a good deal from a person on here for a complete used light assy. I did get the old unit a apart and I'm looking for some info on the rear circuit board as I want to get it fixed as a spare.

Dave

Gene G 03-25-2016 05:46 PM

Thanks Cadman with help like yours we can actually afford these cars.

Markchip 04-18-2016 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by boxercupdave (Post 4454606)
Hey many thanks as my left front turn signal is intermittent. This is something I will have to try on mine.

Had a rear turn signal go out but got a good deal from a person on here for a complete used light assy. I did get the old unit a apart and I'm looking for some info on the rear circuit board as I want to get it fixed as a spare.

Dave

I thought the whole point of the turn indicator was that it was intermittent. ... 😉

texaslonghorn 09-22-2016 12:09 PM

Hey Cadman,

I'm having the same problem on my 06 Vantage. I know it was a while back but do you remember the website where you found the inductor/resistor/solenoid for sale? I'm taking out the headlight of my car this weekend but i'd like to order the parts prior to opening the headlight. Any insight would be helpful...thanks!

Originally Posted by cadman (Post 4445688)
hi troyboy
fails,due to condesation,i am not in any way an electronic expert,just looking for any visible broken parts, i did bench tested the leds first,they were all ok.i found on the circuit board that one of the components had come loose from its base,probably due to vibration, (see pic of the new part inplace), with a little search and the number off the loose part (102) , i bought two just incase it happens again on the right turn signal,i also bought two of part (221) as they are the same type of part,just a different value..the 4 components cost $10 thats including shipping..i had no clue
what would happen when i put it all back together,but figured it was worth the effort,because of the cost of a new or used unit. (big bucks).
to my delight it worked,and i have had no problem since, call it luck if you will..ive added some pics lens cover removed -inner workings board location-new component soldered on boardhttps://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...3c5ca2ba62.jpg

cadman 09-22-2016 12:48 PM

inductor

hope i dont get in trouble for posting web address
i got the inductors from digikey.co.uk

boxercupdave 09-22-2016 03:02 PM

I followed Cadman's process and was able to repair mine also, though on mine I didn't have to replace any components but I did resolder a lot of larger components. I'd also want to thank Ms. Asher for training me in Mil-Spec soldering way back in the day while at GEC/Marconi Avionics.

When I thought I had everything done on the board I put the light assembly back in place but without the lens and mounting bolts just hand tight. This allowed me to push on the board and wiggle the wire harness and connector with the indicator on. Glad I did as I forgot to resolder the connector pins and found this was where mine was intermittent. Well worth a test before fully assembling.

Dave

texaslonghorn 09-24-2016 08:47 AM

Thanks Cadman! I appreciate your help!

Originally Posted by cadman (Post 4563312)
hope i dont get in trouble for posting web address
i got the inductors from digikey.co.uk

drivergmx 09-24-2016 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by cadman (Post 4446758)
after carefully prying the tabs on the lens i was able to pull it apart by hand,
with a little effort.it is possible that a previous owner had taken it apart before

Did you happen to notice any manufacturer's part numbers on the clear lens? I purchased a car that spent many years in the Florida sun and as a result the clear lenses are crazed. It would be a huge cost savings if I could replace the lens only. Aston Martin DCS only lists the complete assembly:

4G43-13W029-CD and 4G43-13W030-CD

embdenb 09-25-2016 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by cadman (Post 4446758)

Great photos, nice work. Did you have to apply new sealer to the headlight lens when you reassembled the lens? If not are you confident that water cannot get into the light assembly?

DetomasoGTS74 09-25-2016 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by embdenb (Post 4564205)
Great photos, nice work. Did you have to apply new sealer to the headlight lens when you reassembled the lens? If not are you confident that water cannot get into the light assembly?

I followed Cadman's instructions a month ago and have not had any water issues with the headlamp I opened up. There is a black sealer that is an absolute pain to open up and to close back in place with the clips.

MarcS 05-25-2018 02:15 PM

Part Number

Originally Posted by cadman (Post 4445688)
hi troyboy

Hey Cadman. Trying your technique later when I get the part. Do you remember how you searched for the number or do you remember the number? Thx

cadman 05-25-2018 04:59 PM

hey MarcS
heres the part number 445-16662-1-ND this is for the blue 102 inductor on the picture.
mine was visibly broken off its base,this is the third summer since i did this and still no issues with headlight assy. i also bought the other inductor 221 to the right of picture,just incase in future, part number 445-3844-1-ND. i got them from digikey.com.
good luck

MarcS 05-27-2018 09:06 PM

Thanks!

Big thanks!! I’m attempting it once I get the part. My signal problem is intermittent. May not happen for a week or so. I’m thinking it may be a loose connecting. But we’ll see for sure. Can’t tell you enough how much I appreciate your help!

MarcS 06-09-2018 07:40 AM

Ordering

Originally Posted by cadman (Post 4718124)
hey MarcS
heres the part number 445-16662-1-ND this is for the blue 102 inductor on the picture.
mine was visibly broken off its base,this is the third summer since i did this and still no issues with headlight assy. i also bought the other inductor 221 to the right of picture,just incase in future, part number 445-3844-1-ND. i got them from digikey.com.
good luck

Hey, are you in the US? I can’t seem to order from the company unless I live in the UK.

cadman 06-09-2018 11:16 AM

thats odd ,digi-key is in the u.s minnesota ??
i,m located in canada, ..
you can switch to your region of the world on their website..

DetomasoGTS74 06-10-2018 01:26 PM

Guys- I had taken apart my headlamp three times before I figured out my issue. At first I assumed it was the same issue as cadman so I replaced the part he suggested. Light appeared to work but then had issues one week later so I opened it up thinking it was a similar issue as the greetings from Niagara thread and I followed his step-by-step instructions and again it worked for a week only to fault later.

This last time I took the entire board to a computer repair shop where they went through each bit and found one part I had a very loose connection and re-soldered it. Knock on wood the light has performed flawlessly over the past few hundred miles since.

My recommendation is there are numerous parts that can fault so take it to a computer repair store or similar and have them go through each bit.

Eric

blue2000s 06-10-2018 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by drivergmx (Post 4564005)
Did you happen to notice any manufacturer's part numbers on the clear lens? I purchased a car that spent many years in the Florida sun and as a result the clear lenses are crazed. It would be a huge cost savings if I could replace the lens only. Aston Martin DCS only lists the complete assembly:

4G43-13W029-CD and 4G43-13W030-CD

@drivergmx I don't know if you're still visiting the site. In case you are, the plastic lenses on these cars (and all others) have a UV protective coating on them. Over time and exposure, the coating can turn yellow or crack. Without the coating, the plastic would yellow and turn foggy very quickly.

Aston only offers the complete headlight assembly.

It's much less expensive to refinish the lenses. This is done through first masking off the car or removing the headlights. Then wet sanding off all of the old clear coat with 1000 grit paper. You can see the old clear coat as you remove it. It will be obvious that there's a line between the coated and uncoated plastic of the lens. It looks kind of like the peeling clear coat on a car's paint finish.

Once the clear is completely removed, continue wet sanding with gradually finer paper at 90 degrees from the grit before until reaching 3000 grit. I used 4 different grit levels. Then repainting the lenses with a UV clear coat paint. There are 2 part UV clear coats that you can purchase from an aerosol can that actually provide a pretty nice finish if done correctly. A fine wet sand after completely dry and then polish will result in better than new lenses that will last a long time.

cadman 06-11-2018 04:54 AM

hey detomaso
any chance you can add an arrow to the loose part that was found on your board ,on my posted picture . it might help someone else for future troubleshooting.

boxercupdave 02-04-2019 01:50 PM

Here we go again. Now the right front turn signal has failed.

Hopefully it's just solder connection or maybe a failed component. I'll get to it in the next few weeks.

boxercupdave 03-25-2019 03:42 PM

I wanted to follow up on this thread as previously I used it to trouble shoot the front turn signal problem on the left hand side. I solved this by removing the solder from the connector pins on both connectors and re-soldering.

Just recently the right front turn signal had started to fail intermittently and then last week failed 100% of the time, or would that be 100% of the 50%. Anyway I raised the car, removed the front wheel, the inner liner, and then the airbox. This gave me access to the 3 screws for the headlamp and then the ability to slide the red locking mechanism on the connector.

With the headlamp removed I was able to slowly undo the clear bezel clips and remove the bezel. While others have used heat I was able to remove both bezels with no heat.

I did the same as the other side re-soldering all the connector pins and larger inductors though this did not solve the issue on the right hand side. I place the headlamp frame on the suspension using a towel to give it a place to rest, then plug in the connector. This allows me to push on the board and it would sometimes work. I decided I still had a bad solder joint and it seemed worse near the multi-pin connector. I went to re-solder the large light blue components which I assume are caps and one of them moved while soldering the one end which shouldn't happen. That was the problem. I re-soldered as many caps as possible and tested again and it works. Tried to push on the board and it still worked.

The factory reflow of this board did not put enough solder on the bigger components.

Tomorrow I reassemble. Hope this is helpful. Don't give up on the board fix and always test before reassembly.

Dave

ROBERTSCOTTNEILLY 03-25-2019 05:28 PM

The circuit board is assembled in Mexico, and then the tail light assy. is completed in Belville, Ontario by a subsidiary of Magna Intl. My right rear went wonky a year or so ago; moisture was the culprit- the sealant that was supposed to seal the two halves of the unit was almost non-existent . I have been trying to source out that circuit board for over a year, and have been completely stonewalled by Magna, and I have good connections within the company! Good luck. I wound up buying a pair of OEM assys. from an owner who went with the clear lenses, at about half what AM wants for one new one.

skywagon 03-25-2019 06:35 PM

Thanks for the information Dave! My left headlight turn signal was intermittent and has just failed the last 3 drives. Now the right one has started acting up. I am going to pull the left one soon and start there. I was thinking of re-soldering all joints and will take note on the larger components.

What are you going to use to reseal the lights, RTV?

boxercupdave 03-26-2019 06:12 AM

Skywagon,

I didn't reseal the lights as the factory sealant or gasket stayed on the lens cover in perfect condition. I want to be able to have access in the future if needed and so far no issues with the right side repair a few years ago.

Make sure you use painters tape to cover the lens before removing to reduce any scratches.

Dave

skywagon 03-26-2019 01:12 PM

Dave,

I had my lights out 2 years ago for the upgrades to my car. At that time, both of them were just fine. It was only in the last 6 months that I started seeing issues. I will report back what I find.

MarcS 05-20-2019 05:23 PM

Thanks for the help. I took mine apart and found that one of the other capacitors was bad. However, I don't have a part number for it and Digikey doesn't seem to be able to find it either. I highlighted the part that tested as bad. How did you go about finding your part numbers?
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...d48bd1ceb5.jpg

blue2000s 05-20-2019 06:11 PM

Check out this description of capacitor rating

https://forum.digikey.com/t/smt-elec...age-rating/974

33uF, 100V capacitor