Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8 Vantage ECU Tuning Results - VelocityAP V2 & V3 Software Upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 12:47 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by davidm17
This works without having a lightweight flywheel? I was thinking you needed the lighter flywheel to have better response when blipping the throttle for rev matching.
It works without a lightweight flywheel. The flywheel will also help but the throttle mapping on it's own is also very much an improvement.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 03-09-2019, 07:04 PM
DonRW2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
I installed the Velocity AP tune earlier this year (Xmas present from GF). Huge difference in throttle response and exhaust note (had the remote thing installed for fuse 22 defeat but never noticed a difference until now). I have a set of 200 cell cats and the X-pipe coming next week. I’m really excited to see how the car performs and sounds.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:47 PM
Scottiejo is on a distinguished road
The tune is by far the best investment! The 200 cell cats IMHO are the second and almost mandatory with the tune, you will enjoy the sound and performance. Lightweight clutch and flywheel are also great, not so jerky in idle and really engages at high RPM. VAP has great products!

Old 03-11-2019, 12:03 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Thanks for all the great feedback everyone!

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 05-08-2019, 12:34 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
It's been 2 years since I installed the VAP tune. When I installed it I was thoroughly impressed with the improved throttle response and general engine behavior. The following year I replaced by clutch with an AMR dual clutch unit. Another huge improvement but I did find that the car would buck a little at very small throttle openings. Not a big deal and I was OK with it but the other day I decided to send Chris at VAP an email just to relay observations. Without asking for or expecting it he sent back a tune for me to try out. The tune worked great and the car feels amazing. The tune makes such a big improvement on my car, which has the power pack already. I can only imagine what it's like for someone who starts out with the stock 4.3. After this experience, I just had to come on and give Chris and VAP another big thank you for the fantastic customer service!

Old 05-09-2019, 08:38 AM
AMR248 will become famous soon enough
Hi Stuart! Would it be possible to provide a tune that keeps the valves closed? This would allow to meet MOT noise regulations although the cats are modified when driving on public roads.

Thank you!

Old 05-09-2019, 02:39 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by AMR248
Hi Stuart! Would it be possible to provide a tune that keeps the valves closed? This would allow to meet MOT noise regulations although the cats are modified when driving on public roads.

Thank you!

We can alter the valve opening & closing settings. I don't know that we have ever done one that closes the valves permanently, but certainly we can affect when they open & shut at different RPM/Load.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 05-10-2019, 12:52 PM
AMR248 will become famous soon enough
Perfect 😃 Valve opening at higher RPM is enough to pass the noise regulations

Old 05-11-2019, 09:39 AM
johnsons is an unknown quantity at this point
I got my tune back last week. Holy hell. The throttle mapping alone was worth the price. This is IMO how the car should have come from the factory! Thanks!

Old 05-22-2019, 12:25 PM
JPS-ATL is on a distinguished road
I received the tune for my 2007 4.3L V8 Vantage from Stuart a couple of weeks ago. I was immediately pleased with the improved responsiveness and reduced throttle lag, but didn’t trust my ‘butt meter’ to be sure about the power improvements.

So today I went ahead and put the car on a dyno to compare ‘pre-tune’ and ‘post-tune’, and also to get a sense of overall power improvement from mods. My car has the Fabspeed 200 cell cats/X-pipe and high flow air filters from Redpants.

The ‘pre-tune’ run showed peak numbers of 314 whp & 262 lb/ft, which if you apply an estimated 18% drivetrain loss implies 383 bhp & 320 lb/ft at the flywheel. A decent torque pickup over official AM stock numbers of 380 bhp & 302 lb/ft.

We can debate all day long how accurate those absolute numbers are, but what’s more interesting is the comparison to the ‘post-tune’ run which was done ten minutes later under the same conditions. Power improved to 346 whp & 289 lb/ft, or +32 hp & + 27 lb/ft from the tune alone. Applying the same estimated 18% drivetrain loss, that implies 422 bhp & 352 lb/ft at the flywheel for an overall improvement vs stock of +42 bhp & +69 lb/ft.

So in summary, the mods and tune add up to stock 4.8L power, and my dyno results were very close to what Stuart publishes.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:24 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by JPS-ATL
I received the tune for my 2007 4.3L V8 Vantage from Stuart a couple of weeks ago. I was immediately pleased with the improved responsiveness and reduced throttle lag, but didn’t trust my ‘butt meter’ to be sure about the power improvements.

So today I went ahead and put the car on a dyno to compare ‘pre-tune’ and ‘post-tune’, and also to get a sense of overall power improvement from mods. My car has the Fabspeed 200 cell cats/X-pipe and high flow air filters from Redpants.

The ‘pre-tune’ run showed peak numbers of 314 whp & 262 lb/ft, which if you apply an estimated 18% drivetrain loss implies 383 bhp & 320 lb/ft at the flywheel. A decent torque pickup over official AM stock numbers of 380 bhp & 302 lb/ft.

We can debate all day long how accurate those absolute numbers are, but what’s more interesting is the comparison to the ‘post-tune’ run which was done ten minutes later under the same conditions. Power improved to 346 whp & 289 lb/ft, or +32 hp & + 27 lb/ft from the tune alone. Applying the same estimated 18% drivetrain loss, that implies 422 bhp & 352 lb/ft at the flywheel for an overall improvement vs stock of +42 bhp & +69 lb/ft.

So in summary, the mods and tune add up to stock 4.8L power, and my dyno results were very close to what Stuart publishes.

Great results and thanks for spending your time & money to verify. We usually quote 25-30WHP conservatively, so 32WHP is a positive result.

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
www.velocityap.com
Old 09-09-2019, 07:20 PM
sonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the rough
I updated my VelocityAP tune just a few weeks ago. It just keeps getting better! Mid-range torque is noticeably stronger. Even on my 4.3, on the highway in that 60-70mph range in 6th, it's now rare to downshift. It just wants to pull. And something else I noticed on this tune is improved rev matching for heel-toe. I used to be happy to get the rpm within 1,000 or so of the downshift target, but now it's only on the sloppiest of footwork that I'm outside 500rpm from where I need to be.

Anybody else notice these?

Old 09-09-2019, 07:38 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Why did you get an update on your tune?

And how'd you get it?

I'm pretty happy with my tune from VelocityAP, but didn't know updates were available.

Originally Posted by sonnyd
I updated my VelocityAP tune just a few weeks ago. It just keeps getting better! Mid-range torque is noticeably stronger. Even on my 4.3, on the highway in that 60-70mph range in 6th, it's now rare to downshift. It just wants to pull. And something else I noticed on this tune is improved rev matching for heel-toe. I used to be happy to get the rpm within 1,000 or so of the downshift target, but now it's only on the sloppiest of footwork that I'm outside 500rpm from where I need to be.

Anybody else notice these?

Old 09-09-2019, 07:42 PM
sonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the roughsonnyd is a jewel in the rough
Irish07 installed a twin plate clutch/headers/flywheel, so I got the updated software. HIGHLY recommend all of that.
In my opinion, the single best upgrade is the 200-cell catalysts. A close second, though, is the tune.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:46 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Do you have a manual? Wondering if I need a tune update after updating my clutch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V8 Vantage ECU Tuning Results - VelocityAP V2 & V3 Software Upgrades