6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   DB9 front grille support frame change questions (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/374120-db9-front-grille-support-frame-change-questions.html)

KOCF 09-23-2015 07:08 AM

DB9 front grille support frame change questions

1 Attachment(s)
My 2005 DB9 has some minor damage to the grille support frame which is item 2 in the attached drawing. I have a replacement, but it is not clear to me how difficult removal and installation would be. Removing the grille itself is easy as it is attached only by threaded studs with nuts to the support frame.

Since the bottom of the frame attaches to the bumper, it is clear that the bumper must be removed or at least the top portion loosened enough to detach the frame.

If you look closely at the drawing, you can see that the frame has a tab that sticks forward on each end. It appears that the tab, when the frame is installed is located within the fender just below the headlight assembly.

Hopefully, someone here has experience changing this frame and can answer the following questions:

1. Can the grille frame be removed by just removing the bumper, or must the fender(s) be loosened or removed?

2. Are there any other complications to the project which may not be obvious, or not described above?

thanks in advance for any responses.

yvr 09-23-2015 08:59 AM

The passenger side hood stop bracket, incorporated on the grille frame, snapped on my car. I started removing all the obvious bolts that looked like they were holding the frame in place but couldn't get it out.

Seemed like the next step would have been to approach it from below, behind the bumper, but I found a different solution to my problem and didn't pursue it further.

Irish07@VelocityAP 09-23-2015 12:45 PM

The front grill support has the front bumper clip right into it..so the front bumper is a must to completely remove. It's not 2 hard..will require the front wheels off along with under tray and both inner fender wells..take out the amber side marker bulb not to break, then remove both air boxes complete. Next think it's 4 bolts per side and a plastic hook tab black clip left holding bumper(way in there near corner of grill, main reason I remove filters is to access this damn clip). If you have a front plate and it's an older model then remove the silver screw plug for tow eye hole...now pull bumper forward to release the spring clips... Don't think I missed anything beside disconnecting harness for PDC if equipped..should be off in 30-40mins

Old phart 09-23-2015 06:13 PM

I've been holding off replacing mine too. Was worried I have to pull the fenders/wings. Glad to hear otherwise.

Nice chance to change filters. Anything else that would be worthwhile to swap out in the process?

Irish07@VelocityAP 09-23-2015 06:21 PM

Well those instructions were just the front bumper removal, I've never taken the support out..if one came in damaged, usually it would head over to our bodyshop so the client could save on the labour rate, service rates are much higher

KOCF 09-23-2015 07:03 PM

Irish:

Thanks very much for the detailed instructions. I agree with Old Phart and will change the filters while I have it apart. I'll give it a try next week and will report back with the results. Hopefully, removing the bumper will allow the frame to drop down and clear the fenders.

KOCF 10-06-2015 05:37 AM

Follow up

Following Irish's instructions, the grille surround frame easily came off without having to remove the fenders. The car is new to me , and this was my first "disassembly", so it took a bit longer for me than the 30 - 40 minutes it takes Irish;-).

Once the front bumper is removed, the fenders had enough flex to allow the grille surround to be easily maneuvered to clear the fenders. The same going back in with the new part.

With the wheel arch liners removed, this is the perfect time to change the door air struts and since the engine air cleaner filters are removed, it's a great time to install new ones.

kj217 07-18-2019 03:09 AM

Hello,

can you help me with item part number?

Originally Posted by KOCF (Post 4404236)
I have a replacement