6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Clear Bra (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/375166-clear-bra.html)

Prefurbia 10-27-2015 07:55 PM

I was told after doing my full front not to hit it directly with high-powered spray and to make sure bird droppings were washed off as well as bug splatters relatively timely

Batman-76 10-28-2015 08:23 PM

A couple of us in the Atlanta area have a guy that does awesome custom work for the Aston.

I did a full paint correction, clear wrap, and Modesta coating, and would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Best decision I ever made! :D

Message me if you'd like the contact...

Prefurbia 10-28-2015 08:40 PM

No best decision you ever made was buying the Aston- maybe 2nd best was bra

007 Vantage 10-30-2015 02:16 PM

XPEL is a fantastic clear bra, yes it's pricier but it's the best. I would avoid 3M clear bras bc they have way too much orange peel.

mindscape9 10-30-2015 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Batman-76 (Post 4421010)
A couple of us in the Atlanta area have a guy that does awesome custom work for the Aston.

I did a full paint correction, clear wrap, and Modesta coating, and would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Best decision I ever made! :D

Message me if you'd like the contact...

With Batman 100%. He is one of the best around. He uses Suntek rather than Xpel because he feels its easier to work with when doing a custom install. Was able to do my entire car and there isn't a seam showing anywhere. Really amazing what a talented pro can do.

XJRS Owner 10-30-2015 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by 007 Vantage (Post 4421749)
XPEL is a fantastic clear bra, yes it's pricier but it's the best. I would avoid 3M clear bras bc they have way too much orange peel.

Maybe a few years ago, but not anymore. The latest 3M stuff is clear as glass.

Montana107 11-01-2015 04:47 AM

PM sent Batman! Thanks for the help! I will have one soon! I have been wanting to do this but wanted the person doing the job to have some Aston owner references.

XPEL 11-19-2015 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty Heap (Post 4412735)
to what extent would the clear bra cover/hide existing minor rock hits/chips on a 996 hood?

with no touch up paint

Car has numerous small pits from many years of lovin'

I think small blobs of touch up paint in each pit before clear bra, might even make the chip stand out more?

It wont necessarily hide any of the rock chips, best bet would be to have them professionally fixed first. With just touch up paint, there is the chance that it will appear to have little bumps under the clear bra.

XPEL 11-19-2015 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by scottsilv (Post 4420154)
If I have a clear bra applied to the front bumper, headlights, rocker panels and lower portion of the hood (or full hood), what do I do for washing, waxing, polishing, etc. After that?

If its XPEL ULTIMATE, you can treat it as you would clear coat. Only warning is to not use anything that contains Petroleum Distillates such as Naphtha/Kerosine as this can compromise the bra and cause pre-mature yellowing. But you can use polishes, waxes(non-dyed), and wash it as normal. A lot of our customers use a waterless wash.

For the hood many people here can tell you full hood, because even while the line is hard to see at certain angles, it gathers dust and dirt over time.

XPEL 11-19-2015 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Montana107 (Post 4420395)
Any recommendations on the best place to have this done in the southeast?

Thx!

Where about's in the southeast? We have local installers all over the country...click: XPEL LOCATOR for a list of installers

XPEL 11-19-2015 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Prefurbia (Post 4420408)
I was told after doing my full front not to hit it directly with high-powered spray and to make sure bird droppings were washed off as well as bug splatters relatively timely

Regarding the power washer, the areas to avoid are where there is a seam, or where the clear bra ends.

Regarding the bugs and bird droppings it depends on which brand/bra was applied.

XPEL ULTIMATE is self-healing so even if you don't remove the bird droppings/bugs right away it should be okay. With regular paint if you don't remove bugs/bird droppings they can damage the paint and leave a haze/etch in the clear coat. With the self-healing technology of XPEL ULTIMATE once you remove the bird droppings or bugs if there is any hazing/etching, just use our film cleaner, wash and let it sit in the sun to self-heal.

little nellie 11-23-2015 11:26 AM

I think clear bra is the best investment you can make to protect the finish of your car. Go for a full front coverage as it doesn't show seams at all. In my wife's S550, we did the half coverage and a rock landed a few inches after the bra ends. For my SL and DB9, we have full front done. Most recently, the installer is using a brand called Suntek. It is very smooth and shinny. Matches the shinny AM finish very well. Much better finish than the 3M products that has an orange peel look on the other cars we have.

Robert, the installer tells me Suntek is a self healing film. If I have light scratches, he can fix it by applying some heat to the film. He did that for me and it is just simply amazing.

Most importantly, find someone that has wrap DB9 before and doesn't just use pre-cut film if you want all the edges covered. The person who did the wrap for me in Belmont CA, he even cover the mirrors, door edges and headlights.