Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2013 clutch v8V

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 03:43 PM
irvineboy is on a distinguished road
2013 clutch v8V

Did AM change the clutch in the 2013 Vantage models? Previous models prior were stiff and release points higher than normal. Wondering if they might have changed the clutch when they tightened up the steering and added better brakes.

Does anyone really notice a difference between the pre 2013 and 2013 models in pure drive and handle feel?

Old 12-01-2016, 04:09 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I had an 07 vantage - I was led to understand when they went to the larger engine, the clutch pressure was relaxed.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:30 PM
powerbeautysoulAM is on a distinguished road
I was told that the brakes and steering was not that big of an improvement. It's not like you stop faster 60-0 with the newer models.

Does anyone have first hand experience owning both models?

Old 12-01-2016, 05:33 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
[QUOTE=powerbeautysoulAM;4585575]I was told that the brakes and steering was not that big of an improvement. It's not like you stop faster 60-0 with the newer models.

Does anyone have first hand experience owning both models?[/QUOT
I believe the brakes suspension and steering were updated for the Vantage GT and GTS.
Ron

Old 12-01-2016, 07:41 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I think it was 2009 the suspension changed to Bilstein dampers. In 2012.5 they tightened the steering and also upgraded the brakes. At least the fronts anyway. They went to 6 pot calipers and two piece rotors. That was a big improvement.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:18 PM
What does 6 pot calipers and two piece rotors do? What was it before?

Old 12-02-2016, 05:50 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by powerbeautysoulAM
4 pot calipers and regular rotors.

2-Piece rotors allow for lighter weight (unsprung)(just a bit) and also allow you to just change the HAT which typically is cheaper than buying a whole new 2-piece. However, much like AMGs I don't think there is a replacement HAT for their rotors, they try and make you buy the whole thing when you change pads. For AMGs the Front brake rotors (2) and pad w/ install at Mercedes costs around 3k. But, Racing Brake, Wilwood make 2-piece rotors for AMGs and AMs so people tend to just buy their rotors and then only replace the HATs when absolutely needed at a fraction of the cost.

4-pot calipers means 4 pistons/2 on each side per caliper
6-pot calipers means 6 pistons/3 on each side per caliper

The more pistons per side allows for greater pressure to be implied on the pad/hence the rotor which will stop faster. The Calipers usually get large also. Iron Rotors will always be cheaper than the 2-piece one by far, and personally I love the look of the 2-piece but would rather just keep the iron ones and replace more often and cheaper IMHO.

Hope that helps

Old 12-02-2016, 10:25 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by deckman
I think it was 2009 the suspension changed to Bilstein dampers. In 2012.5 they tightened the steering
Tightened the steering? What does that mean? Faster ratio? Different bushings?

Old 12-02-2016, 12:08 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
When talking about brake calipers, "pot" means "piston". It's just short-hand or slang. Six piston calipers give a wider spread of pressure across a larger brake pad. That means you get better braking for a few reasons if all else is equal: more pad surface area, better heat management, more stopping power.

At the end of this video you can see the actual pistons inside the brake calipers:

Two-piece rotors have two primary benefits... first is that they're lighter than single-piece rotors, and second is that maintenance costs are potentially reduced because only the outer rotor itself is replaced rather than the entire assembly. The inner portion (the "hat") is made out of aluminum, which is part of that weight savings, and is reused. Weight loss adds up slowly, but the overall effect is huge for the performance of a car. I've been focusing on weight reduction quite a bit and have a thread showing the savings I've gotten so far: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...et-nimble.html

I have a few weight reduction products on my website that help quite a bit with it, and more in development: http://www.redpants.lol/shop/?category=Weight+Reduction

The V8VS has 2-piece rotors with 6-piston calipers. Those same calipers are also used on the later *standard* V8V, but the calipers are 1.5-piece rather than 2-piece like the V8VS has. A 1.5-piece rotor is designed to have some of the weight savings of a 2-piece rotor, but with a reduced cost. When a 1.5-piece rotor needs to be replaced, the entire rotor assembly has to go, you can't save the hat like you can on a 2-piece rotor.

Last edited by Redpants; 12-02-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:08 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by embdenb
Tightened the steering? What does that mean? Faster ratio? Different bushings?
15:1 versus 17:1 ratio and a re-valved steering pump. I haven't driven the previous version so can't comment on the difference in feel.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Redpants
When talking about brake calipers, "pot" means "piston". It's just short-hand or slang. Six piston calipers give a wider spread of pressure across a larger brake pad. That means you get better braking for a few reasons if all else is equal: more pad surface area, better heat management, more stopping power.

At the end of this video you can see the actual pistons inside the brake calipers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZYxzQJTg3k

Two-piece rotors have two primary benefits... first is that they're lighter than single-piece rotors, and second is that maintenance costs are potentially reduced because only the outer rotor itself is replaced rather than the entire assembly. The inner portion (the "hat") is made out of aluminum, which is part of that weight savings, and is reused. Weight loss adds up slowly, but the overall effect is huge for the performance of a car. I've been focusing on weight reduction quite a bit and have a thread showing the savings I've gotten so far: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...et-nimble.html

I have a few weight reduction products on my website that help quite a bit with it, and more in development: http://www.redpants.lol/shop/?category=Weight+Reduction

The V8VS has 2-piece rotors with 6-piston calipers. Those same calipers are also used on the later *standard* V8V, but the calipers are 1.5-piece rather than 2-piece like the V8VS has. A 1.5-piece rotor is designed to have some of the weight savings of a 2-piece rotor, but with a reduced cost. When a 1.5-piece rotor needs to be replaced, the entire rotor assembly has to go, you can't save the hat like you can on a 2-piece rotor.
Do you know if the DBS also has 2-piece rotors with 6-piston calipers?

Old 12-03-2016, 09:30 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Do you know if the DBS also has 2-piece rotors with 6-piston calipers?
DBS front brakes are 6-piston calipers, rear brakes have 4-pistons. The rotors are 2-piece carbon ceramics.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:15 PM
irvineboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Redpants
DBS front brakes are 6-piston calipers, rear brakes have 4-pistons. The rotors are 2-piece carbon ceramics.
So does the 2013-2016 v8v have 6-piston calipers in the front and in the rear?

Old 12-03-2016, 10:39 PM
Banned
None of them have 6-piston calipers in the rear. Rear calipers for all of the cars have 4-pistons.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.