Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston Martin DB9 tow bar and ski rack

Old 11-21-2015, 05:48 AM
MaverickV12 is on a distinguished road
Aston Martin DB9 tow bar and ski rack

DB9 ..... snow is coming, no where for skis....

So I thought about this .....

So now I have a ski carrier ......

Is this common across the Pond?

Old 11-21-2015, 07:07 AM
yvr
yvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud ofyvr has much to be proud of
Maverick, your exhaust is going to melt the wax off those skis!

Old 11-21-2015, 11:24 AM
yvr ..... I'm already on to it .....

I looked at that, the skis will be covered in a protective cover, but the, "basket", is a generic basket, it can be used, but its not my first choice ..... but the exhausts does terminate right on them, wax or no wax, its still a problem ....

This carrier is not available this side of the pond ....

.... only your side

Have to work out something for myself ......

Old 12-06-2015, 11:25 AM
Geo3 is on a distinguished road
DB9 towbar looks great, MaverickV12.

Is it purchased or custom?

Any chance of more details i.e installation, drawings, etc.?

Last edited by Geo3; 12-08-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:16 PM
I tried to PM you Geo3, but I can't seem to send a message ......

Old 12-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Geo3 is on a distinguished road
I seem to have had PM turned off; now turned on.

Here is my email : gmacgruer@sympatico.ca

Last edited by Geo3; 12-08-2015 at 04:25 PM. Reason: added email
Old 12-06-2015, 10:20 PM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
Do not put them there. The heat will destroy at least one of them.

I ruined a very nice, brand new racing tyre on a bike. No toys inline with the exhaust!

Meanwhile, I love that you're making an Aston more practical than it already is. Good that people see that they're not the poncey show pieces that some think they are.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:26 AM
WG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura aboutWG_moots has a spectacular aura about
Can you order the SeaSucker over there??

https://www.seasucker.com/shop/ski-rack/#tab-description"]https://www.seasucker.com/shop/ski-rack/#tab-description

I use the bike holder on my V12V:

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 06-22-2023 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:53 AM
IbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant futureIbisRider has a brilliant future
So funny. I was going to reference your V12 bike transport vehicle but hit 'send' before I could bother to find the link to your last post of it.
And, as always, looks great. Now that I know what rack system you used, I think I'll get one for my S. To quote a modern hero: I don't always drive to the trailhead, but when I do, I drive a Vantage.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:58 PM
I have a Defender and use the lower basket on that and even the Diesel engine has blown a couple of holes in luggage and coverings, so the tail pipes of a V12 were paramount on my mind. If I was driving to the shops, I don't think there would be a problem, but from England to the Alps is a 750+750 trip, so 1500 miles of motorway speed.

I was not so worried about melting the wax off the skis, as melting the skis themselves, so I came up with this .....

I cut the corners off, this means that the exhausts blow straight out. I then had to push the cargo (skis) up past the exhaust outlets, but I also had to push them down below the boot lid. I don't know how fast you guys drive over there, but Germany is unlimited, so if the skis are too high, they will be pulled off.

The bindings are not central on a ski, so the carrier had to be extra wide to cope with the skis being central. I also made the poles they rest on, 350mm long, so that 2 sets could easily fit on the top and 2 sets on the bottom. The skis fit perfectly within the carrier and also fit perfectly between the wing mirrors. I also had to make an allowance for the skis to be in large bags. The carrier poles were covered in rubber sleeves, worked perfectly.

The lights were set within the aluminium channel for protection and for the numberplate as well, importantly we had to use LED lights to match the existing lights. Not only looks wise does it match, but loading wise the LED's have virtually no load.

I got it sprayed black, but hope to take it into a spray shop shortly and have it sprayed Onyx Black, I think I'll leave the aluminium channel as bare Alli ........

Old 12-07-2015, 05:15 PM
ncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to all
You do nice work sir!

Old 12-08-2015, 11:58 AM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
that's actually really awesome, really clever and well executed!

Old 12-08-2015, 12:35 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
So much engineering thoughts went into this, well done!

Old 12-19-2015, 05:47 PM
spikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nicespikemd is just really nice
Impressive and creative. Now, what tires are you going to run in the snow?

Old 12-21-2015, 11:17 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Nice idea..We use the seasucker attachments here, think we also have another brand but same concept.

I know this side of the pond, your rack would be illegal though. The 2 poles for the lower level wouldn't be allowed unless a brace was in back of them(to collapse evenly and not puncher a vehicle), then that brace being the furthest position, the lights would have to be now on that new brace..and the upper poles are ok in there spot but would need to be indented to collapse upward or downward on impact(might have to go for a thinner gauge to collapse and pass..

*Knock on wood* the vehicle was in an accident and the rack design was the reason for a fatality, the fabricator would be charged with involuntary man slaughter (unless designed for offroad use..then I believe the driver is accountable)..don't mean to scare you, just I remember a "home made" by certified welder rear brush bar making the news a few years back(was nothing huge either). Man's car was t-boned in middle of an intersection and forced into side of another car..the bar went through the drivers door of the last car hit...and well, you know the rest, but the man got 10 years for his brush bar resulting in the fatality..again, don't mean to scare..but just making you aware

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aston Martin DB9 tow bar and ski rack