Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage Values

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 11:46 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by IbisRider
This sucks and makes me a bit sad. I clearly remember your post drive report and how thrilled you were to be buying the car. At the risk of hijacking this thread, I do wonder why you wanted to get out of it so soon. But whatever the reason for wanting to unload your V12VS, the value drop is a bit surprising. I'm trying to form some theory as to why this would happen. I don't remember the original V12V dropping so much, so early. Is it just the fact that it's a Vantage and the GT effect has diminished the value of all Vantage bodied cars? This doesn't seem to happen in the 911 family, not sure why it would in the Vantage.
Cars are emotive experiences, and I will say that the V12VS is a good car in its own right. For the 1 1/2 yrs I had it, it was fun....until it had a few issues here and there. I ultimately sold it partly due to family needing a different car, but also was taking it to the dealer for silly things we all have heard of - fuel lid door stuck over 3 times, emissions code came up etc. etc. Aston is not know for its reliability. I since then picked up a Murcie and a G-wagon.
So here are my real world #'s: I was one of the first to get the car in April of 2014. I got it for around $200k with an MSRP of $227k, at the time sounded good. 1 1/2 years (with 9000 miles driven) later takes us to today where market asking prices are around $145k. Since I traded the car, obviously I got a wholesale # on the car which brings it even lower (by $10k-$15k). So yea I would say the car dropped quite a bit in the year or so I had it. But that's the price you pay with some exotics.
When I bought an 09 DBS a couple years ago for $137k with 15k miles on it, I thought - how much more will it depreciate? Well a year later I couldn't give it away for 6 mos. (even consigned with a dealer) and eventually wholesaled it to dealer for $115k - another loss.
So there you have it. Astons IMO, simply do Not hold value.

For those that even try to compare Aston to Porsche or Ferrari, that is laughable. Ferrari and Porsche marques have such strong branding, marketing, and heritage that Aston can't compare. I can't see the V12 V(S) appreciating at all unless given greater than 20 years, maybe but don't hold your breath.
The company is in financial dire straights that MB has to help save them.
But when a brand takes off $30-50k off a new car (or $100k in the case of McLaren), and throwing massive end of year rebates, they are destroying their name and destroying the loyalty of any customers who bought these cars new. That marketing mentality goes nowhere. Ferrari or Porsche doesn't do this.