More cheapskate advice needed re satnav screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Markchip is on a distinguished road
More cheapskate advice needed re satnav screen

Hi guys and gals,

Yet another post about scrimping!

I've taken my DB9's satnav screen unit out of the dash with the intention of changing just the screen itself. I've seen the post on fixing knackered gear wheels, where the screen doesn't come up properly but I can't find any information on how to take the screen out of the motorised pop-up unit. The screen is contained in a black housing and this is what I need to get off and opened up.

My reason for doing this is because I want to fit a better quality screen and one that I can connect both my mobile and a reversing camera to. The existing screen has very poor definition and contrast by modern standards and current technology has far more capability than what was originally fitted. As always I am looking for a good result at a very affordable price - I am the very definition of an optimist; someone who could just afford his Aston (the dream car) yet has to run it on a comparative shoestring, ie no AM-sourced upgrades or running to the dealer for fixes or repairs. I have desires for my car but they will only happen if I can find a nice, cheap solution. Apologies for not being willing (or able!) to spend the kind of sums an Aston truly deserves?

Ideally I'm looking for a link or a pdf of how to dismantle (albeit partially) the display module or unit, or even a basic description of how to do it. Does anyone have a clue where to look? My local dealer said that they normally replace the entire module with a new one but I know that someone somewhere takes these apart because I've seen the screen listed on Astonbits separate to the module as well as complete modules.

The end result might even be something other members might be interested in doing themselves as I know I'm not the only one who doesn't love the satnav as is and prefers the quality offered on their phone. Plus adding in a reversing camera (or a front-facing camera maybe for the track-fiends amongst us!) has added appeal, without the typical AM costs.

Cheers, Mark

Old 01-10-2016, 05:49 PM
Bump...

I am desperate for a solution here so if anyone has any contacts in AM who might know any relevant information please pass on my enquiry.

Cheers, Mark

Old 01-11-2016, 03:38 AM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Markchip
Bump...

I am desperate for a solution here so if anyone has any contacts in AM who might know any relevant information please pass on my enquiry.

Cheers, Mark
Hi Mark,

I've just ordered a Nuvi 2689LMT https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod138361.html and will undertake what you plan to do as well. It's a project on the long run (within the next 6 months) but as far as I've researched a dremel cutting-blade will most probably be required.

our NAV pop-units are Volvo-units so I 'believe' interchangeable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272009340641?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252237372566?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Old 01-11-2016, 07:40 AM
Hi sdekoning,

I can certainly believe your notion about a Dremel being needed to open the final black box containing the screen itself but my current problem is getting that swivelling black box out of the main unit AT ALL! It's the initial getting the bits at each side off, without having all the gear mechanisms fall out, that worries me...

I propose to get a "naked" screen with its associated circuit boards from China, as that will not only be cheaper but also will have a more varied range of inputs so it will be easier to connect other components such as a rear/front view camera. I haven't yet decided whether I should do all the wiring runs and connections or if it might be smarter to ask an auto electrician to do this. But the problem remains, just how do I get the pop-up section OUT of the larger unit? Ideally without causing all the gears and motorised components to fall apart... 😦

It's a technical issue and one I'd really rather not have to tackle by trying to dismantle things on a suck-it-and-see approach. The end result promises to be a much higher quality of screen with a useful set of connection options - all for a ridiculously low cost! I might even be tempted to create a guide for the whole thing if anyone else has similar desires.. But I need this initial element of help please!

Cheers, Mark

Last edited by Markchip; 01-11-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:50 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Bump...

Cheers, Mark

Would the attached help?

Attached Files
Old 01-11-2016, 10:59 AM
It should give me a lead, even though on first inspection it does seem rather daunting! Hopefully there will be a fairly obvious point at which the screen section will come off and I can focus on getting the screen itself out! And if it comes to the worst, it might help me salvage the situation... Many thanks, Mark

Old 01-11-2016, 05:18 PM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
Old 01-11-2016, 07:02 PM
Nice but not for me. Sorry if I sound stupid but who is Steve? If it helps my email is markchip8@gmail.com.

Cheers, Mark

Old 05-11-2016, 11:36 PM
K9COP is on a distinguished road
Hi Mark, Englishman living in New York. I have a 2005 DB9 and I'd love to be able to have a front and rear camera input to that screen, maybe with a three position switch in the ash tray, because the 'parking bumpers' here are massive to stop school run mums in their SUVs from killing everyone, but they're very high for the poor old DB....

I'll be following this one. Sorry I've got nothing to offer, but at least you're not alone!

K9

Old 05-12-2016, 08:40 AM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Hello Mark, another Englishman living in the NY/NJ Tri-State area.

I recently did this. It's actually not that complicated to remove the screen. It does require you cut the tie-wrap that holds the adaptor/connector in place.

I'm on GMT, but it you can exhibit a little bit of patience I can give you a clearer picture on how to do this once I get home.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:09 AM
bluecab is on a distinguished road
Subscribed. Very interested to see what you come up with...

Old 05-12-2016, 09:20 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
This is what you need...

Attached Files
Old 07-05-2016, 12:53 PM
bluecab is on a distinguished road
Simon,
Did you get around to installing that Garmin?
I need to find a garmin to use on a trip to France this fall and would be able to kill two birds with one stone if this unit could later be retro fitted to a DB9

Old 07-05-2016, 01:01 PM
Model?

Originally Posted by terminal_ac
This is what you need...
Is this for a DB9?? Mine seems entirely different...

Old 07-05-2016, 01:10 PM
Is this for a DB9?? Mine seems entirely different...

Sorry. It's for a 2015 Vantage V8S

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: More cheapskate advice needed re satnav screen