6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   New Method to stop brake squealing (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/388521-new-method-stop-brake-squealing.html)

Cattman 04-10-2016 03:45 PM

New Method to stop brake squealing

My AM dealer cambered the front end of the brake pads from the 90 degree angle that they come with to 45 degrees, just at the front/ leading edge, and the brake squealing is 99% gone! Of they charged about $400 to do it, but I'm very happy with the results. No loss of braking power. Anyone else do this?
CATTMAN

deckman 04-10-2016 04:05 PM

I'm not sure what this means? I don't understand why these brakes squeal, mine do like everyone else's. They are regular Brembo's. Is it the stock pad? The rotor?

Cattman 04-10-2016 04:19 PM

Yes, using the stock OEM Aston Martin pads and rotors, my dealership essentially "shaved" the leading edge of the pad a tiny bit, so that instead of there being a leading edge 90 degree angle, it's 45 degrees. I wish I had a photo to show you before and after. No more squealing, other than in reverse. The rest of the pad remains exactly the same other than that first tiny bit of the front edge.
CATTMAN

steve36 04-10-2016 05:45 PM

Is this something the dealership recommended?
Can I ask the dealership name?
I need to get rid of my brake squeal as well.

Thanks for the info.

Cattman 04-10-2016 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by steve36 (Post 4500811)
Is this something the dealership recommended?
Can I ask the dealership name?
I need to get rid of my brake squeal as well.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, they suggested it. They said they do it for 9/10 of their customers. It is Motor Cars of Georgia, they are an official dealer for Aston Martin, McLaren, Lamborghini, and Lotus here in northern ATL.
CATTMAN

steve36 04-10-2016 06:04 PM

Thank you for the info.

speedracer800 04-10-2016 06:38 PM

This is a pretty common fix that's been done forever. I've been touching off the leading edge of my brake pads on my belt sander when changing pads on most all of my cars as a matter of practice for years. It will correct certain squeals and squeaks but not always. Actually it didn't correct the problem on my DB9.. Instead it took more work with shims and anti rattle compound to really knock it out for good. Many high performance pads come with a beveled leading edge also. Glad you got it fixed.. It's the single most annoying problem. Squeaky breaks suck the fun out of driving any car for sure.

DonBond 04-10-2016 09:59 PM

It's called beveling or chamfering..........It's not really the answer to the problem. I find hard use of your brakes is the most effective technique.

mindscape9 04-11-2016 07:32 AM

I had this done to my pads about a year ago and it solved the problem for about ~4K miles (6-8 months).

My dealer did it for me, under warranty, using a service bulletin from Aston. They wanted to charge initially, but since the car was under warranty and, in my opinion, this is a "defect to a stock wear item" rather than "general wear," they went ahead and did it gratis.

Its a temporary fix though.

telum01 04-11-2016 07:45 AM

A lot of brake pads come pre-beveled. Sometimes the bevel is very angled. If you want a visual, I showed it in a video I put on YouTube. Just search for my screen name and you'll see it.

But beveling doesn't fix squeal caused by the compound itself. The more aggressive the pad compound, the more likely it will squeal when not heated to operating temps.

randyb 04-11-2016 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cattman (Post 4500817)
Yes, they suggested it. They said they do it for 9/10 of their customers. It is Motor Cars of Georgia, they are an official dealer for Aston Martin, McLaren, Lamborghini, and Lotus here in northern ATL.
CATTMAN

How many miles have you put on the car, since they did this?

Joe The Angel 05-09-2016 10:13 PM

Hey guys found a great fix for your brake squeals..
I have no affliation with BG at all... so here goes.

Brake squeal fixed.

I have had brake squeal on my aston DB9 Brembo Brakes since I changed to new pads. (pagid)This is a common problem with all high performace braking systems.

Since the BG60 has been applied no squeaking or squealing like a pig announcing your arrival anymore.
I loved the product so much I made the video. Might even buy the company hahha.

go here to see how its applied.
The Aston DB9 no longer squeals on stopping at all. any questions

RudyP 05-10-2016 09:11 AM

I think pad compound has more to do with it than anything.

I had terrible squeal with my Vantage on OEM pads when I got it and since I don't track the car or drive it all that hard, I switched to PosiQuiet Ceramic pads which are designed to be quiet overall and brake squeal is gone. Feel and initial bite is indistinguishable from OEM but again, this is a mild street pad - I would not track it. Oh, all four corners cost

RudyP 05-10-2016 09:12 AM

Not sure why my post is being clipped. Cost was under $140 shipped.

1 x Posi Quiet Ceramic brake pads - front (D1001) $62.00
1 x Posi Quiet Ceramic brake pads - rear (D1053/D592) $62.00

spikemd 05-10-2016 12:42 PM

I need to dive in and fix my squeal. Its kinda embarrassing when you roll up and it is squealing so bad. Will start with chamfering the pads first and applying some anti-squeal rubber to the back of the pads. I run ceramics on my other cars and it cuts down on brake dust by 80%. I still have stock pads on the V8V for now.