6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Needed front-end videos? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/389063-needed-front-end-videos.html)

telum01 04-19-2016 01:11 PM

Needed front-end videos?
 
Weird thread title... but I'm removing the front air dam/bumper cover and fenders from my car to do a couple videos (door check arms, MAF sensors, engine air filters, and Power Pack airboxes), as well as some product development.

While I've got the body panels off, is there anything anyone would like me to do a video on? Can't guarantee I'll get it done but I'm open to suggestions.

telum01 04-19-2016 06:47 PM

Doing the things

http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...G?format=1500w

handyman2009 04-20-2016 04:46 AM

Can't think of anything right now but I was surprise at the weight of some of these parts... like the front license plate assembly (studs, screw, back plate, cover, etc) must of weight in around 2-3 pounds at least. Maybe if you notice that some part weight are high or low it might be worth mentioning in the video. Looking forward to seeing it, thanks.

911MTB 04-20-2016 09:16 AM

That's a thoughtful offer, I can't think of anything at the moment but I'm sure just seeing how to remove the front body parts will be helpful to someone at some point.

Montana107 04-20-2016 08:19 PM

I would certainly view it if you made one! I find your information extremely helpful

Thanks!

telum01 04-21-2016 07:32 AM

I'll see what I can do! Hopefully the next couple days and over the weekend will give me enough time to focus on it.

zuman 04-21-2016 08:42 AM

I assume most people know this, but there are apps that allow you to download and save videos from YouTube to your computer so you don't have to view them online. These apps also strip out the ads from the videos.
I have 65 Aston Martin videos downloaded to my computer. Most of them are maintenance and care procedures and tips. I use a Windows Store app called Video Downloader (it's the one with the red square logo with the word "Video" in white and the "o" styled like a magnifying glass).
I certainly hope to add Telum01's video to my library!

telum01 04-22-2016 03:45 PM

So far: did an overview of the intake system (also explaining how to install intake filters), did one showing the MAF sensors, and one showing the door check arms (door struts). It'll take a day or two to edit them and put them on YouTube.

I'd do an oil change but I'm still holding off on that until Motul's 10w60 gets to the US. When they bring the oil here, I'll be putting it in my car and doing a video of the process.


Originally Posted by handyman2009 (Post 4505326)
Can't think of anything right now but I was surprise at the weight of some of these parts... like the front license plate assembly (studs, screw, back plate, cover, etc) must of weight in around 2-3 pounds at least. Maybe if you notice that some part weight are high or low it might be worth mentioning in the video. Looking forward to seeing it, thanks.

Glad to say I don't have the front license plate plinth, but it also means I can't get any data on it :(


Originally Posted by zuman (Post 4505885)
I certainly hope to add Telum01's video to my library!

Glad to know they're helpful! I've got several of them on YouTube already, going to keep doing more and more as I get to them :)

Montana107 04-23-2016 05:11 AM

Telum01

I was at Barber Motorsports Park yesterday for the Pirelli Challenge. I started to visit with the TRG guys and they let me dig around their GT4. They mentioned there is a lightweight front bar that replaces the factory bumper support with the tag bracket, etc.. that saves a significant amount of weight. The TRG guy said 50 lbs but I find that hard to believe. If you are not worried about a front end collision you might want to look this part up for your "nimble" project. Not sure if this is something TRG makes or if it is a factory AMR part.

Have fun!

Montana107 04-23-2016 05:40 AM


Originally Posted by telum01 (Post 4506584)
I'd do an oil change but I'm still holding off on that until Motul's 10w60 gets to the US. When they bring the oil here, I'll be putting it in my car and doing a video of the process.

There is a Red Line 10w60 that the BMW guys have been running since the previously speced Castrol is NLA. - I believe that will go in mine for the next oil change

telum01 04-23-2016 05:59 PM


Originally Posted by Montana107 (Post 4506731)
Telum01

I was at Barber Motorsports Park yesterday for the Pirelli Challenge. I started to visit with the TRG guys and they let me dig around their GT4. They mentioned there is a lightweight front bar that replaces the factory bumper support with the tag bracket, etc.. that saves a significant amount of weight. The TRG guy said 50 lbs but I find that hard to believe. If you are not worried about a front end collision you might want to look this part up for your "nimble" project. Not sure if this is something TRG makes or if it is a factory AMR part.

Have fun!

I did this on the '05 STi that I built and it made a HUGE difference on that car (those things are very nose-heavy, so the ~21 lb weight loss from the nose itself was incredible). I have thought about doing this on my Aston but it'd be very risky on a car like this. Bodywork is so expensive to fix on them that I'd be hesitant to do it - insurance companies might balk to paying out on a car with structural modifications that would have led to an increase in damages and therefore repair costs. Still on the table, though, especially for track cars.


Originally Posted by Montana107 (Post 4506736)
There is a Red Line 10w60 that the BMW guys have been running since the previously speced Castrol is NLA. - I believe that will go in mine for the next oil change

I've never used Redline products before, but don't recall anything bad about them from others. I've got vendor access to Motul stuff so I'm going to be swapping over to their products (I've got Castrol gear oil, Shell engine oil, and Motul brake fluid right now).

blue2000s 04-24-2016 07:15 PM

On the door struts, you don't have to open the clips in the sockets to get the new struts on the balls, they slip on really easily. That also is true for the hood and hatch struts.

handyman2009 04-24-2016 07:19 PM

I watch your two youtube video (MAF and Door Struts), you are doing a fantastic job. Thanks for all the help and explanation about these awesome machines... Keep the video coming :-)

telum01 04-25-2016 07:15 AM


Originally Posted by blue2000s (Post 4507304)
On the door struts, you don't have to open the clips in the sockets to get the new struts on the balls, they slip on really easily. That also is true for the hood and hatch struts.

I'll have to give that a try. Seems a bit odd since those clips are there to hold the struts on more securely - they shouldn't be able to slip on with the clips in place so easily :confused:


Originally Posted by handyman2009 (Post 4507307)
I watch your two youtube video (MAF and Door Struts), you are doing a fantastic job. Thanks for all the help and explanation about these awesome machines... Keep the video coming :-)

Glad you like them! I tend to ramble at times, but I try to keep the videos as short as possible. Installation guides plus explanations about the various components and systems involved, hoping to give a comprehensive understanding of what's going on instead of just playing "simon says"

blue2000s 04-25-2016 08:20 AM


Originally Posted by telum01 (Post 4507457)
I'll have to give that a try. Seems a bit odd since those clips are there to hold the struts on more securely - they shouldn't be able to slip on with the clips in place so easily :confused:

Slip on easily - Impossible to get off. Cleaver design that "locks" on removal. I like to add a little grease to the socket before popping it onto the ball to avoid wear and noise.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:59 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands