6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Needed front-end videos? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/389063-needed-front-end-videos.html)

telum01 04-19-2016 01:11 PM

Needed front-end videos?

Weird thread title... but I'm removing the front air dam/bumper cover and fenders from my car to do a couple videos (door check arms, MAF sensors, engine air filters, and Power Pack airboxes), as well as some product development.

While I've got the body panels off, is there anything anyone would like me to do a video on? Can't guarantee I'll get it done but I'm open to suggestions.

telum01 04-19-2016 06:47 PM

Doing the things

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...G?format=1500w

handyman2009 04-20-2016 04:46 AM

Can't think of anything right now but I was surprise at the weight of some of these parts... like the front license plate assembly (studs, screw, back plate, cover, etc) must of weight in around 2-3 pounds at least. Maybe if you notice that some part weight are high or low it might be worth mentioning in the video. Looking forward to seeing it, thanks.

911MTB 04-20-2016 09:16 AM

That's a thoughtful offer, I can't think of anything at the moment but I'm sure just seeing how to remove the front body parts will be helpful to someone at some point.

Montana107 04-20-2016 08:19 PM

I would certainly view it if you made one! I find your information extremely helpful

Thanks!

telum01 04-21-2016 07:32 AM

I'll see what I can do! Hopefully the next couple days and over the weekend will give me enough time to focus on it.

zuman 04-21-2016 08:42 AM

I assume most people know this, but there are apps that allow you to download and save videos from YouTube to your computer so you don't have to view them online. These apps also strip out the ads from the videos.
I have 65 Aston Martin videos downloaded to my computer. Most of them are maintenance and care procedures and tips. I use a Windows Store app called Video Downloader (it's the one with the red square logo with the word "Video" in white and the "o" styled like a magnifying glass).
I certainly hope to add Telum01's video to my library!

telum01 04-22-2016 03:45 PM

So far: did an overview of the intake system (also explaining how to install intake filters), did one showing the MAF sensors, and one showing the door check arms (door struts). It'll take a day or two to edit them and put them on YouTube.

I'd do an oil change but I'm still holding off on that until Motul's 10w60 gets to the US. When they bring the oil here, I'll be putting it in my car and doing a video of the process.

Originally Posted by handyman2009 (Post 4505326)
Can't think of anything right now but I was surprise at the weight of some of these parts... like the front license plate assembly (studs, screw, back plate, cover, etc) must of weight in around 2-3 pounds at least. Maybe if you notice that some part weight are high or low it might be worth mentioning in the video. Looking forward to seeing it, thanks.

Glad to say I don't have the front license plate plinth, but it also means I can't get any data on it :(

Originally Posted by zuman (Post 4505885)
I certainly hope to add Telum01's video to my library!

Glad to know they're helpful! I've got several of them on YouTube already, going to keep doing more and more as I get to them :)

Montana107 04-23-2016 05:11 AM

Telum01

I was at Barber Motorsports Park yesterday for the Pirelli Challenge. I started to visit with the TRG guys and they let me dig around their GT4. They mentioned there is a lightweight front bar that replaces the factory bumper support with the tag bracket, etc.. that saves a significant amount of weight. The TRG guy said 50 lbs but I find that hard to believe. If you are not worried about a front end collision you might want to look this part up for your "nimble" project. Not sure if this is something TRG makes or if it is a factory AMR part.

Have fun!

Montana107 04-23-2016 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by telum01 (Post 4506584)
I'd do an oil change but I'm still holding off on that until Motul's 10w60 gets to the US. When they bring the oil here, I'll be putting it in my car and doing a video of the process.

There is a Red Line 10w60 that the BMW guys have been running since the previously speced Castrol is NLA. - I believe that will go in mine for the next oil change

telum01 04-23-2016 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Montana107 (Post 4506731)
Telum01

I was at Barber Motorsports Park yesterday for the Pirelli Challenge. I started to visit with the TRG guys and they let me dig around their GT4. They mentioned there is a lightweight front bar that replaces the factory bumper support with the tag bracket, etc.. that saves a significant amount of weight. The TRG guy said 50 lbs but I find that hard to believe. If you are not worried about a front end collision you might want to look this part up for your "nimble" project. Not sure if this is something TRG makes or if it is a factory AMR part.

Have fun!

I did this on the '05 STi that I built and it made a HUGE difference on that car (those things are very nose-heavy, so the ~21 lb weight loss from the nose itself was incredible). I have thought about doing this on my Aston but it'd be very risky on a car like this. Bodywork is so expensive to fix on them that I'd be hesitant to do it - insurance companies might balk to paying out on a car with structural modifications that would have led to an increase in damages and therefore repair costs. Still on the table, though, especially for track cars.

Originally Posted by Montana107 (Post 4506736)
There is a Red Line 10w60 that the BMW guys have been running since the previously speced Castrol is NLA. - I believe that will go in mine for the next oil change

I've never used Redline products before, but don't recall anything bad about them from others. I've got vendor access to Motul stuff so I'm going to be swapping over to their products (I've got Castrol gear oil, Shell engine oil, and Motul brake fluid right now).

blue2000s 04-24-2016 07:15 PM

On the door struts, you don't have to open the clips in the sockets to get the new struts on the balls, they slip on really easily. That also is true for the hood and hatch struts.

handyman2009 04-24-2016 07:19 PM

I watch your two youtube video (MAF and Door Struts), you are doing a fantastic job. Thanks for all the help and explanation about these awesome machines... Keep the video coming :-)

telum01 04-25-2016 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by blue2000s (Post 4507304)
On the door struts, you don't have to open the clips in the sockets to get the new struts on the balls, they slip on really easily. That also is true for the hood and hatch struts.

I'll have to give that a try. Seems a bit odd since those clips are there to hold the struts on more securely - they shouldn't be able to slip on with the clips in place so easily :confused:

Originally Posted by handyman2009 (Post 4507307)
I watch your two youtube video (MAF and Door Struts), you are doing a fantastic job. Thanks for all the help and explanation about these awesome machines... Keep the video coming :-)

Glad you like them! I tend to ramble at times, but I try to keep the videos as short as possible. Installation guides plus explanations about the various components and systems involved, hoping to give a comprehensive understanding of what's going on instead of just playing "simon says"

blue2000s 04-25-2016 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by telum01 (Post 4507457)
I'll have to give that a try. Seems a bit odd since those clips are there to hold the struts on more securely - they shouldn't be able to slip on with the clips in place so easily :confused:

Slip on easily - Impossible to get off. Cleaver design that "locks" on removal. I like to add a little grease to the socket before popping it onto the ball to avoid wear and noise.

Ekaplan1020 04-26-2016 01:37 PM

I really appreciate the videos as well. I attempted to install door struts on my 05 DB9, but got stuck taking the fender covers off. I took out all the screws, but it would not budge. Did you have any issues taking yours off? I am assuming they are the same on the vantage as DB9.

Thanks!
Ethan

telum01 04-26-2016 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ekaplan1020 (Post 4508243)
I really appreciate the videos as well. I attempted to install door struts on my 05 DB9, but got stuck taking the fender covers off. I took out all the screws, but it would not budge. Did you have any issues taking yours off? I am assuming they are the same on the vantage as DB9.

Thanks!
Ethan

Yep, the door struts are the same on both cars. They took a bit of force to get off when I did mine. I tried just yanking down on one side and it worked - but I ended up breaking the side repeater (small light on the side of the fender). Try having a second person move the door for you while pulling down on the strut. That might help it pop off easier. BE CAREFUL to not get your hand pinched by the strut while the door is moving.

Ekaplan1020 04-26-2016 01:53 PM

Was it hard removing the wheel liner? That's where I got stuck.

telum01 04-26-2016 01:58 PM

Not terribly hard, you just have to hunt around for all the fasteners. They're all over the place, including underneath the car. Follow the entirety of the wheel liner to find them all - if you haven't found the end of the liner on every side, keep going. The liner itself will take some maneuvering to remove even after the fasteners are removed. It's very stiff in a couple spots. It isn't too difficult, but will probably take some patience.

telum01 04-28-2016 01:44 PM

I'm finally getting my hands on Motul's new oil so I'll be doing an oil change video next week.

Originally Posted by Montana107 (Post 4506731)
Telum01

Have fun!

I've got a request in with AMR for those, we'll see what happens!

Montana107 04-28-2016 03:22 PM

great! Keep me posted

flinder 05-02-2016 07:13 AM

Front end weight...getting nimble

Telum, I have taken a significant amount of weight out of the rear of my coupe, Stuart's backbox and now a Braille battery. So to maintain the as delivered 50/50 front/rear vehicle balance I could use a substantial front end reduction. Even a percentage of 50# pounds would help.

And if the racers use a light front bumper bar they probably have a light rear alternative as well.

Please keep us informed. I am feeling more nimble every day.

telum01 05-02-2016 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by flinder (Post 4510336)
Telum, I have taken a significant amount of weight out of the rear of my coupe, Stuart's backbox and now a Braille battery. So to maintain the as delivered 50/50 front/rear vehicle balance I could use a substantial front end reduction. Even a percentage of 50# pounds would help.

And if the racers use a light front bumper bar they probably have a light rear alternative as well.

Please keep us informed. I am feeling more nimble every day.

I've been keeping tabs on weight distribution as I've lost pounds. The only real weight that can be shed ahead of the front wheels is the front bumper beam. If AMR doesn't give me theirs, I'll be working with my fabricator to have one made and we'll see what demand is like beyond that. Aside from that, all that's up there are plastic boxes/ducts and coolers (which are heavy due to the fluids in them so there's not too much to be done there).

Behind the rear wheels is the muffler (already have that done) and rear bumper beam (also requested from AMR). If I were to go crazy, the rear hatch could be done in carbon fiber, but my god that'd be expensive. Still not out of the question if I can get it relatively reasonable along with built-in support for a rear wing (I have an idea for how to do that without being silly).

I started doing a layout showing where I've lost weight for my Nimble thread, but got distracted by something shiny. I'll have to revisit it!

telum01 05-04-2016 11:53 AM

Front end of my car is back together. Had to rebuild it so I could help a friend out using my garage.

I'm changing my oil tonight, so I'll do a video for that. Should be uploaded tonight.
I've got a video going over the intake system I still need to edit and upload.
In about a week I'll be changing my intake filters so I'll be doing a video on that job, too.

telum01 05-21-2016 04:26 PM

I'm sure everyone's seen the chassis damage thread so I went ahead and filmed how to jack the car up to get it on jack stands and the video is now up on YouTube. Not quite the same as using a lift, but it should clarify some stuff for the DIY guys using a jack and jack stands.

It's a safety issue and can potentially lead to damage, injury, or death, so please reach out if you're uncertain about anything.

About to install my Porterfield R4 pads and do my intake filters so I'll have those videos posted by tomorrow night. If the vino-strength kicks in, they'll be up tonight hilarious

telum01 05-23-2016 08:47 AM

Got a couple more videos up this weekend, and filmed a couple more that I still need to upload.

This weekend I'll be installing my VelocityAP headers (finally!!), along with the EGR delete and tune (also from Stuart).

handyman2009 05-23-2016 08:56 AM

Telum01, are you going to be able to touch a little on O2 sensor replacement or at least how much work involved in doing it yourself. Thanks and keep those video coming

telum01 05-23-2016 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by handyman2009 (Post 4519055)
Telum01, are you going to be able to touch a little on O2 sensor replacement or at least how much work involved in doing it yourself. Thanks and keep those video coming

I don't recall it being too difficult. If memory serves:
On top of the cats are the o2 sensors, there are two on each cat - "upstream" is before the catalyst material (the "bulge" in the cat pipe) and "downstream" is after.
Follow the wire from an o2 sensor back to where it connects to the wiring harness and unplug it.
Use a wrench to unscrew the o2 sensor from the cat pipe.
Pull the o2 sensor out and screw in the new one, then plug it in.
Repeat for each one.

I'll be removing my cats when I do the headers installation so, now that you mention it, I can do a separate video just for those, which will also cover the o2 sensors.

handyman2009 05-23-2016 10:34 AM

Sounds good and one more video for the library, thanks for the tip