Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Do i buy an aston martin v8 vantage gt?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 04:32 PM
GTHOSK is on a distinguished road
Do i buy an aston martin v8 vantage gt?

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to drop a little post for anyone who might be considering an AM Vantage V8 GT over something like a 911. In the past five years i have owned a 996,997 and 991 models. My 996 was a C4S with 6 speed. The 997 gen 2 and 991 were both PDK. I must say the PDK is an amazing transmission but, after owning two 911's with it, i did find myself missing the manual. However, the 991 models now have a 7 speed gearbox that i wasnt too particularly fond of. So i found myself doing some soul searching for what comes next. I knew i wanted a manual but, manual what? Go back to 6 speed 997? Perhaps an RS5 or R8? Then I came across the AM Vantage GT at my local Euro Dealer. I was just along for the ride with a buddy who was getitng his Ghibli serviced. i saw the car and thought to myself, oh another $200k AM. But to my surprise the price point was pretty resonable. For that caliber of car any way. It took no more than a single test drive and was almost sold. The hydralic somewhat heavy steering, stiff clutch and perfectly gate spaced gearbox was amazing. And the sound, the souns was second to none. The next step after the test drive was to do my homework so i can make an informed decsion. Talk about mixed reviews. All it did was confuse me more. Some said it was fabulous, others said it was outdated. Most concurred that the infotainment system sucked. I had to give it a lot of thought. Did i want to stay with my tech friendly 991, or take a step back into something more analog. After about three weeks I made the decision to pull the trigger on a 2015 AM Vantage GT. It's only been about a week but, so far I am blissfully happy. The infotainment system works just fine. Wireless Bluetooth works perfect with my I Phone 6 for both phone and music. It has all the creature comforts you would expect from a higher end modern day car. I guess the only downside is the suspension is really stiff no matter sport or non sport mode. But i love that. My wife doesn't, but oh well. Ha Ha!! Anyway, I just wanted to post this for anyone who might be like me with regard to looking at the Vantage GT instead of the 911. I can tell you that i have never been happier. As the months pass i will report back to see if anything changes.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:16 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
Welcome to the Aston world. I also came from the porche world over a year ago and could not be happier. Loved my Porsche but the Aston is such a unique fun to drive car that I've decided that my next car will also be an Aston Martin.

Please post pictures of your new ride.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:53 PM
silver997 is on a distinguished road
Congratulations on your new Aston. Your story is almost exactly like mine. Some of the automotive "press" has not been kind to the Vantage. When doing some research on my own I have to agree on the mixed reviews. These auto experts are full of b.s. I don't need anymore numbers. Numbers are for marketing and bench racers. I have only put 2.5k miles on my car, but really love it. Either you get it, or you don't. I can't believe I even hesitated. The driving experience is just so analog and awesome. Love it.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:51 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
My story is similar to yours: I had several Porsches in the past. Made the switch to Aston Martin because I wanted a more "analog" experience instead of going more electronic with PDK etc.

I'm curious though: what didn't you like about the 7 speed manual Porsche?

Old 05-03-2016, 09:00 PM
007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of007 Vantage has much to be proud of
The absolute best Advice I can give to soften the ride is lightweight 2-piece brake rotors. They make a huge difference. The Brembo rotors are by far the lightest.

This is the #1 way to improve suspension performance AND soften the ride significantly all in the same time

Old 05-03-2016, 09:35 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
Love my GT - I have 20" wheels, pilot super sports help smooth the ride.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:49 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Sport mode only changes throttle map and RPM threshold for exhaust bypass valves. It doesn't do anything with suspension. GTs were spec'd with Sport suspension as standard and comfort suspension as a no-cost option.

Last edited by karlfranz; 08-15-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Congrats!!

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 05-05-2016, 06:52 AM
CPB
CPB will become famous soon enough
Still have the Porsche, and the V8V GT. Enjoy both. Congrats on yours!

Old 08-15-2016, 09:55 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by GTHOSK
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to drop a little post for anyone who might be considering an AM Vantage V8 GT over something like a 911. In the past five years i have owned a 996,997 and 991 models. My 996 was a C4S with 6 speed. The 997 gen 2 and 991 were both PDK. I must say the PDK is an amazing transmission but, after owning two 911's with it, i did find myself missing the manual. However, the 991 models now have a 7 speed gearbox that i wasnt too particularly fond of. So i found myself doing some soul searching for what comes next. I knew i wanted a manual but, manual what? Go back to 6 speed 997? Perhaps an RS5 or R8? Then I came across the AM Vantage GT at my local Euro Dealer. I was just along for the ride with a buddy who was getitng his Ghibli serviced. i saw the car and thought to myself, oh another $200k AM. But to my surprise the price point was pretty resonable. For that caliber of car any way. It took no more than a single test drive and was almost sold. The hydralic somewhat heavy steering, stiff clutch and perfectly gate spaced gearbox was amazing. And the sound, the souns was second to none. The next step after the test drive was to do my homework so i can make an informed decsion. Talk about mixed reviews. All it did was confuse me more. Some said it was fabulous, others said it was outdated. Most concurred that the infotainment system sucked. I had to give it a lot of thought. Did i want to stay with my tech friendly 991, or take a step back into something more analog. After about three weeks I made the decision to pull the trigger on a 2015 AM Vantage GT. It's only been about a week but, so far I am blissfully happy. The infotainment system works just fine. Wireless Bluetooth works perfect with my I Phone 6 for both phone and music. It has all the creature comforts you would expect from a higher end modern day car. I guess the only downside is the suspension is really stiff no matter sport or non sport mode. But i love that. My wife doesn't, but oh well. Ha Ha!! Anyway, I just wanted to post this for anyone who might be like me with regard to looking at the Vantage GT instead of the 911. I can tell you that i have never been happier. As the months pass i will report back to see if anything changes.
I just looked up your post. And re-read it. Cool story.
Ron

Old 08-15-2016, 10:08 AM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Do you have any photos of your car?
Ron

Old 08-15-2016, 12:42 PM
AMV8GT_NJ is on a distinguished road
I've had my GT since Oct 14 and have had a 911 alongside it the whole time ... First a 991.1C2, then a 991.1C4 and now a 991.2C2S ... I wouldn't even bother comparing them - they are completely different cars for different purposes ... My 991s had and have two car seats in them while the GT hasn't had so much as a bottle of water. The GT is the purer, more honest car and after you driving it you sort of feel like you've accomplished something. The 991 is a tech masterpiece but that continues to reduce the excitement. The 991 is smoother, faster, more modern, more reliable, etc ..... But actually, who cares? The GT is cooler.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:15 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats and Welcome

Old 08-15-2016, 04:52 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Unless tracking the cars the 911 has nothing over the Vantage except magazine numbers that are important to everyone who drives a less involving car. You can't get into an argument about performance because the 911 is a better track car. But come on, most people don't race. And for those that do, I bet the V8V is more fun out there, unless we are talking about a 997.1 or older Porsche. Those are similar driving experiences to the Vantage.

As for ride comfort, my last Porsche had semi racing coil overs that made the ride brutal. My wife said this car is like a Rolls compared to the Porsche. I think its a pretty comfortable car without comparison to other brands.

You will enjoy most aspects of ownership except the price of parts. Parts are a butt rape. Oh, and you may regret your purchase when you decide to sell it as well.

I just love being in the Aston. When doing some spirited driving you really feel like you're an extension of the car and get tons of feedback.

Last edited by deckman; 08-15-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:55 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
And I could add that you will get lots of looks compare to a 911

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do i buy an aston martin v8 vantage gt?