6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Remote mount Oil Filter Kits (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/389971-remote-mount-oil-filter-kits.html)

Stuart@VelocityAP 05-05-2016 12:19 PM

Remote mount Oil Filter Kits

This isn't something I was thinking of making, however.... due to the way we want to set up the oil system on the Twin Turbo setup, I am probably being forced to develop a specific adapter plate to take a 1/2" NPT feed off the oil filter location, remote mount the oil filter and then feed both turbos, drain from them and then feed back to the oil filter take-off. Works well because of the gravity drain etc.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, we may have to stump up for some machining fees and a minimum run of parts so it got me thinking - is there any interest in a remote mount kit so we can use up some of the potential stock? One of the cool things about it is you can feed the oil lines to a twin filter or single filter mount, so can run 2 filters at the same time, and with the change in thread size & location it gives you a much broader choice of filters.

What do you guys think, any interest?

telum01 05-05-2016 12:29 PM

I assume this is primarily aimed at the DB9?

Stuart@VelocityAP 05-05-2016 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by telum01 (Post 4511890)
I assume this is primarily aimed at the DB9?

Not really. TBH I haven't checked yet whether the filter landing is the same on those as the V8.

telum01 05-05-2016 01:00 PM

Filter relocation kits have been asked about a few times for the DB9 because getting to the filters on those is much more involved. The V8's filter is right out in the open, though.

I can take pics of both filters tonight to check the difference visually if you want. All the V8s use the same filter, and all the current V12s are the same filter except the V12V/V12VS. I don't have anything to test the thread size/pitch on the filters, though. I just changed my oil last night so I can't test a V12 filter on my V8 to see if it's the same thread :(

PNW 05-05-2016 05:30 PM

I actually mentioned this in a post a few weeks ago after changing the oil on my DB9 and discovering how much of a PITA it is. Can anyone talk from experience on other cars to the minuses of a remote system? From what I've read as long as the filter is at or below the original filter height, for drain back, it should be okay.

Pluses are obviously ease of access, different filter availability (as mentioned by Stuart), and increased oil capacity. Any others?

telum01 05-05-2016 06:34 PM

Added cost and complexity compared to the original setup.

Wildcat1212 05-05-2016 07:59 PM

Iam too scared to play with oil supply to engine, unless absolutely necessary. when you do DB9 oil change 2nd time it gets much easier. I also have skinny hands that helps a lot.

randyb 05-06-2016 09:01 AM

I would be interested in one that did not require me to remove eith the throttle body or front pan.

XJRS Owner 05-06-2016 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by PNW (Post 4512019)

From what I've read as long as the filter is at or below the original filter height, for drain back, it should be okay.

A long time ago, I had a remote dual filter mount on a 240Z. The mount was up high on the inner fender wall, with both filters hanging straight down. This way they stay full when the engine is shut off, so no worries about having empty filters when re-starting.

astonstang 05-09-2016 12:40 PM

If it fits a V12, than I would be interested!

speedracer800 05-10-2016 08:33 PM

Definitely interested.. If you need help with the mounting or plumbing I'd be willing to lend a hand if you don't have a car available to moch up with etc.. This would be a very good thing for V12 guys imo.

bluecab 05-12-2016 04:54 PM

From my recollection, the addition of the extra plumbing drops the oil pressure some.
How much? It would require testing on the specific engine and plumbing as installed.
This pressure drop might not be shown depending on the OE factory pressure sender location.
I'd like to see a setup with sensors at the beginning and end of the added loop to check the pressure.

Irish07@VelocityAP 05-17-2016 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by telum01 (Post 4511903)
Filter relocation kits have been asked about a few times for the DB9 because getting to the filters on those is much more involved. The V8's filter is right out in the open, though.

I can take pics of both filters tonight to check the difference visually if you want. All the V8s use the same filter, and all the current V12s are the same filter except the V12V/V12VS. I don't have anything to test the thread size/pitch on the filters, though. I just changed my oil last night so I can't test a V12 filter on my V8 to see if it's the same thread :(

V12V is a longer V8 filter version, the V12VS and all the other V12's are the same filter.

telum01 05-17-2016 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by irish07 (Post 4516698)
the V12VS and all the other V12's are the same filter.

Really?? I was specifically told otherwise :confused: Oh well, good to know!

Irish07@VelocityAP 05-17-2016 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by telum01 (Post 4516703)
Really?? I was specifically told otherwise :confused: Oh well, good to know!

The VVT V12 is the same everything on all the models, only difference is some sensors when the PCM was changed to Bosch