6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Big Thanks to telum 01 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/390094-big-thanks-telum-01-a.html)

captain Greg 05-07-2016 02:37 PM

Big Thanks to telum 01

I have been watching telums01 vids (and the guy is a god!) Im an average guy and fiddle but Im no mechanic.
I have been having a cold engine now for a while and have been pouring over the threads on DIY thermostat replacement.

I have now successfully replaced my thermostat, I did the job in around 45 minutes (including a engine detail) AM locally (Daytona Group quoted me the price of a small African country to do it) I considered that what is the worst that can happen ..? they collect and fix anyway and I pay.

After getting the JAG part number I ordered the part (52 USD) I followed his instructions and paused the video as I needed, I had to shorten the one stud to get the OAS bracket off and that was a bit frustrating but again search this mans vids and you find that one as well.

AM locally said they have never replaced a thermostat saying my electric fan must be running continuously??? really.
The thing was damaged exactly as the pics and vid on the stickies on this forum.
I never removed the front bottom plate I cut off some time by pulling the cover name plate and pulling the top hose off and after letting it drain just washed the car off well.
This saved a good 45 mins and the pain of lifting this thing.

I would not have done it without this fantastic help from telum01, and last week I followed his detailed instructions on the Battery replacement and it was a doddle. Only thing I was short in the tools dept was an adapter to connect a Torque wrench to the open end 13mm nuts that needed the 9Nm, I had to borrow that.

I encourage any guy who is half handy to do it yourself, it gave me such a great buzz to work on it myself and I saved loads of coin.
I will now use this saved coin in a more constructive manner ....like chasing skirt and abusing veuve clicquot to make sure I continue to get things right.

Well done to telum01

mkzhang 05-07-2016 03:13 PM

Agreed, I did my thermostat for the first time last month and it took me 2 hrs including lunch. Before that my only DIY adventure mechanically speaking was taking off the wheels. Very thankful for all the DIY guides on here

handyman2009 05-09-2016 05:10 AM

Definitely a +1 for Telum01 for all the time he takes to explain these car and how to fix them yourself.

telum01 05-09-2016 07:32 AM

Really appreciate the kind words, guys. Sorry for the late response - was out and about all day Saturday and my [now-ex]-girlfriend moved out yesterday so I spent the day laying on the grass at a winery watching the clouds go by. (That's the not-on-FB relationship status update for mkzhang lol)

mkzhang 05-09-2016 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by telum01 (Post 4513148)
(That's the not-on-FB relationship status update for mkzhang lol)

Guess I can crash over without third wheeling. But sorry to hear, at least you have a puppy to keep you company :)

telum01 05-09-2016 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by mkzhang (Post 4513242)
Guess I can crash over without third wheeling. But sorry to hear, at least you have a puppy to keep you company :)

He was legally hers, and it was better for him to go with her so he'd still be with Luna. So no, no puppy :(

dan87951 05-10-2016 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by telum01 (Post 4513148)
Really appreciate the kind words, guys. Sorry for the late response - was out and about all day Saturday and my [now-ex]-girlfriend moved out yesterday so I spent the day laying on the grass at a winery watching the clouds go by. (That's the not-on-FB relationship status update for mkzhang lol)

Sorry to hear breakups are never easy! Good thing there is always "more fish in the sea".

telum01 05-10-2016 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by dan87951 (Post 4513725)
Sorry to hear breakups are never easy! Good thing there is always "more fish in the sea".

Thanks, I appreciate it. Sucks, but it's the right thing to do in the long run.

Buying a Recaro to drop into my V8V for retail therapy lol...

dan87951 05-10-2016 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by telum01 (Post 4513735)

Sweet! :D

captain Greg 05-10-2016 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by dan87951 (Post 4513725)

lets just hope the ex does not find romance with a R8 driver :D , then it makes a bad situation unforgivable..

yeah looads of fish in the sea;) I have been to a place last week where the entire sea was Blonde and I must have fallen in love nearly 8 times in less than 4 hours and we are talking belters boys...,,, belters, live music, blonde belters all drinking alcohol and dancing with skirts they may has well left at home...I saved the co ords because Im sure that was heaven...sadly I had to leave the party when I had to fly my VIP client back to his home.
....and then the party really started...

Ekaplan1020 05-10-2016 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by telum01 (Post 4513735)

Hopefully you will film that process :)

mkzhang 05-10-2016 02:27 PM

We need to send you to SA with captain greg for a week. or month :)

Ekaplan1020 05-12-2016 12:32 PM

I also want to thank Telum01 for his videos. I was able to install new door struts yesterday in my DB9 and it makes a world of difference. I just followed his video and it worked like a charm. It was nice to hear about the potential problems when installing (side light breakage) so I was able to avoid any problems.

Keep 'em up!

Ethan

telum01 05-12-2016 01:25 PM

Thanks again for the kind words, guys

Mike - It's on the table, I just need the time and money. Shoveling every spare penny I have into my little startup so hopefully it pays off sooner rather than later hahaha

Ethan - Definitely will film and document the seats! Should be pretty informative even for just the OEM stuff. Trying to get my hands on a DB9 so I can do all the DIYs and videos for those, too.

Ekaplan1020 05-12-2016 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by telum01 (Post 4514819)
Thanks again for the kind words, guys

Mike - It's on the table, I just need the time and money. Shoveling every spare penny I have into my little startup so hopefully it pays off sooner rather than later hahaha

Ethan - Definitely will film and document the seats! Should be pretty informative even for just the OEM stuff. Trying to get my hands on a DB9 so I can do all the DIYs and videos for those, too.

Looking forward to it. I'm in Kansas, otherwise I would be happy to lend you mine.