Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

My V8V chasis (tubs) were damaged at Firestone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 09:41 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by W126C

The other thing is, will this car show up for sale at some auction soon? Assuming it is totaled, of course.
Regards
I suspect the insurance company will auction this car, more than likely
with a salvage title, and some used car dealer will sell the car to some unsuspecting person.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:07 AM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
I would have serious questions about an estimate where 39% of the total is for "miscellaneous" and parts and labor are already tallied separately. What else is there?

I have a copy of the page from the workshop manual showing the jacking points and give that to whoever happens to be working on the car. Along with threats of death if the instructions are not followed.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:08 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Guys is the alignment totally out? the damage does not look severe enough to to make the chassis unservisable IMO.

Cant you get the insurance co to pay out a value and at least just drive the thing? I have taken a view on my Vantage that I dont care about its resale value and despite I never use it in the wet i do enjoy driving it now and again, more important I enjoy looking at it when I peer into my man cave.

If they pay you a value and you bank that it could reduce the pain and compensate you for any additional loss when you do decide to sell it, and then simply have some nice new shiny T6 Plates epoxied over the damage area.

Of topic but for comparison I took a brand new Mercedes (bought it for my wife in April) and accidentally turned into a very steep driveway coming in at the wrong angle and it has scraped the under belly much worse than what has happened to your car

I suggest invest in a full wheel alignment and see how far its out, its not like the thing has had a bad accident.

In any case squire I do feel for you and hope you get it sorted FAST

Old 05-30-2016, 01:14 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
You mentioned in your earlier post you were taking it to Galpin for an estimate. It looks like the estimate you received is not from Galpin what was their take on the situation?
Ron

Old 06-02-2016, 08:19 AM
Cloneman315 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by vargas
Hey Ron, Galpin took a look at the car and referred it over to Harry's Collision Center. Galpin has already told me they will never sell a vehicle in its current condition, and furthermore, they would not sell it either if repaired due to "frame restoration"...I've been hearing from independent dealers that the car as is will not sell for more than $25k and if repaired, will not fetch more than $30k. So there is definitely a significant financial loss on my part in this matter.

Yes, I do agree with this forum and feel that this vehicle would not be the same after all of this work is performed, and so I'm now simply looking at the bottom line.
I find it hard to believe that damage is going to affect anything honestly...

Old 06-02-2016, 08:22 AM
impulsiv is a jewel in the roughimpulsiv is a jewel in the roughimpulsiv is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Cloneman315
I find it hard to believe that damage is going to affect anything honestly...
In fact, the only thing it is affecting, is resale value.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by impulsiv
In fact, the only thing it is affecting, is resale value.
I agree the car isn't now technically factory perfect and this does totally suck. Maybe have them possibly compensate you some cash to help when you sell the car to minimize the loss? I think if you are upfront to a person buying and they know they are getting a deal based on the minor damage they would be ok? I am guessing the car still runs and drives the same?

Old 06-02-2016, 10:33 AM
skywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the roughskywagon is a jewel in the rough
I find it hard to believe that the damage would impact the driving performance of that car. I would truly like to find this car at auction and buy it. It will be a great driver for years to come.

When I purchased a 2-post lift for my shop I selected the Challenger CL-10. In the photo gallery on their website (http://www.challengerlifts.com/CL10series_photo.shtml) is this photo:

If you look closely that is a DB9 being lifted at the suggested front locations and by the inner floor pan support at the rear location. Yes, some dealers do this as I have asked a few. I am not going to divulge which dealerships as I do not want a lynch mob heading in their directions. Just ask your local dealership the next time you visit them. I made a set of piloting blocks and lift my car by the suggested locations.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:01 PM
impulsiv is a jewel in the roughimpulsiv is a jewel in the roughimpulsiv is a jewel in the rough
I am pretty sure that, if everybody on this forum look under their cars, a lot will find lifting "scars" like these.

Old 06-03-2016, 05:34 AM
Originally Posted by impulsiv
I am pretty sure that, if everybody on this forum look under their cars, a lot will find lifting "scars" like these.
I would agree

Old 06-03-2016, 06:48 PM
vargas is a jewel in the roughvargas is a jewel in the roughvargas is a jewel in the rough
Well, the verdict is in.

State Farm determined the claim to be a total loss, which included a handful of reasons but mainly based on the current value of the vehicle versus the cost of the necessary repairs and the time necessary to perform these repairs.

Keep these cars away from unqualified techs! Reiterate to them that there are specific jacking points if not going to an AM dealership. This was certainly a learning experience for me. After such an event, I've come to an opinion that it may be best to service higher end vehicles at their respective dealerships only. Not worth the risk!

Old 06-03-2016, 07:09 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Wow, I hope your check from insurance will allow you to replace your AM.
CATTMAN

Old 06-03-2016, 07:32 PM
W126C will become famous soon enough
Would you mind telling us how the car drove after the damage? Did it feel any different to you?

Regards

Old 06-03-2016, 08:39 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
So sorry to hear about how this turned out for you, what a nightmare

Old 06-03-2016, 08:40 PM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
What year was your Aston, if you don't mind.

I'd like an idea of how close the insurance company's value proposition was and try to figure out if I should switch my insurance to State Farm

Also, check with the dealer. Warranty extensions are usually refundable at a prorated portion.

Let us know what tires you had just put on there, someone may be in the market.

And of course, in terribly sorry for your loss

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My V8V chasis (tubs) were damaged at Firestone