6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   997.1 Turbo owner thinking hard about a V8 GT (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/390760-997-1-turbo-owner-thinking-hard-about-v8-gt.html)

L_Perm 05-20-2016 12:26 AM

997.1 Turbo owner thinking hard about a V8 GT

My 6MT Turbo is fast, but I'd like more engagement. I like NA V8-V10-V12's mated to a six speed. I don't street race. I've never launched from a standstill. And, if there is one car I can think of that is prettier than my Guards Red 997, it's an Aston Martin.

I'm currently thinking hard about a Vantage V8 GT, and I want to confirm a couple of things, because AM doesn't get much into technical specs. First, the 4.7L V8 is port-injected, not direct injected, right? Second, it has a dry sump, right? Or, is that just the V12?

I don't trust DFI. I like hydraulic steering. I like big engines that don't have hair-dryers attached to them. I very-much enjoy a free-revving big engine--not just lazy muscle. I like the cabin to feel special. And, I like to admire beautiful cars.

I've had fun with my Porsche, but I think I'm better suited to an AM. Any thoughts? What about the Vantage S vs. the GT. I tend to find the GT style options fun (minus the side sticker), and I am a motorsport fan. The AM entries are always the best looking on the race courses. I think Christina Neilsen (sp?) would have brought home a championship last year if not for the horrible rain in Atlanta.

Should I look for a used V8 S, or just a regular V8? Anyone think the suspension is not up to the GT racing spirit of the V8 GT? One reviewer called it jittery, but most have been complimentary.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Do you guys and gals meet at the IMSA (and other) sports car races like the PCA does? I'll still have a 1991 928 S4 that will keep me in the PCA, but I'd like to meet some AM folks too.

Thanks,
Louis

telum01 05-20-2016 08:31 AM

The V8 is port injected and has a dry sump (the V12 has a wet sump).
The main difference between the V8VS and the V8VGT is that all the carbon fiber on the V8VS is replaced with plastic on the V8VGT. The V8VGT has fewer color choices (paint and leather), and a lot of stuff that's optional on the V8VGT comes standard on the V8VS.

Only way to tell for sure if you'll like a V8VGT is to go test drive one! That's especially true for the suspension choices - you need to drive both to make up your mind as that's a very subjective thing.

Cattman 05-20-2016 12:11 PM

I have the Vantage S, and personally consider it a step up from the GT. Here's a link to a great thread spelling out the differences:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-v8v-v8vs.html

One possible deal-breaker for you, based on what you said, is that the Vantage S comes only with Sportshift II transmission, which I have come to really enjoy, although some never will move away from a true manual.

However, if you are open to this Graziano Sportshift II or III gearbox, you will love the V8VS. I came into my V8VS after a few 911's. Biggest thing I can tell you, is that the Aston, being so rare and completely handmade, is just more special all around. Where I live, I see at least three dozen 911's for every 1 Aston I see. In fact, since I got my V8VS, I've only seen 1 Vantage and 1 Rapide. And that's over the course of two or three months.
CATTMAN

Prefurbia 05-20-2016 12:25 PM

I had a 07, a 09 normal vantage and now have a 15GT also sportshift, which I prefer over the 6 speed of my 07. There are significant differences between the 09 and the 15 sportshift. If price was no issue the more elegant touches of the S I would have preferred over the GT, but for the price the GT is an incredible value.

L_Perm 05-20-2016 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by telum01 (Post 4517918)
The V8 is port injected and has a dry sump (the V12 has a wet sump).
The main difference between the V8VS and the V8VGT is that all the carbon fiber on the V8VS is replaced with plastic on the V8VGT. The V8VGT has fewer color choices (paint and leather), and a lot of stuff that's optional on the V8VGT comes standard on the V8VS.

Only way to tell for sure if you'll like a V8VGT is to go test drive one! That's especially true for the suspension choices - you need to drive both to make up your mind as that's a very subjective thing.

Port-injected, dry sump--cool! Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by Cattman (Post 4518070)
I have the Vantage S, and personally consider it a step up from the GT. Here's a link to a great thread spelling out the differences:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-v8v-v8vs.html

One possible deal-breaker for you, based on what you said, is that the Vantage S comes only with Sportshift II transmission, which I have come to really enjoy, although some never will move away from a true manual.

However, if you are open to this Graziano Sportshift II or III gearbox, you will love the V8VS. I came into my V8VS after a few 911's. Biggest thing I can tell you, is that the Aston, being so rare and completely handmade, is just more special all around. Where I live, I see at least three dozen 911's for every 1 Aston I see. In fact, since I got my V8VS, I've only seen 1 Vantage and 1 Rapide. And that's over the course of two or three months.
CATTMAN

Thanks for the reply. I've read up on the differences among the various VV8 choices. Just wondering how they differ in reality--in particular, the suspension. I'm firmly set on three pedals. The auto-manual gearboxes can be very impressive and are certainly faster, but I'm holding on to that third pedal as long as I can. I see multiple 911s every time I go out around here--not many Turbos. A couple of guys close by drive their GT3RS's to the gym.

Originally Posted by Prefurbia (Post 4518076)
I had a 07, a 09 normal vantage and now have a 15GT also sportshift, which I prefer over the 6 speed of my 07. There are significant differences between the 09 and the 15 sportshift. If price was no issue the more elegant touches of the S I would have preferred over the GT, but for the price the GT is an incredible value.

Thanks for your input. I have no qualms saving some money with a few plastic pieces and fewer gizmos. I can't imagine Aston Martin plastic is that bad. I don't like gizmos, anyway--more stuff to break in my book. I actually prefer a plastic splitter for obvious reasons.

deckman 05-21-2016 10:32 AM

I had a 996TT and went from that to the V8V 6MT. The only difference between the turbo and a regular 911 is the outrageous speed the turbo brings. For me, I rarely used the speed, and when I did I was seriously breaking the law, putting others in danger. I decided I didn't need that. The V8V is way slower, but I like it way more. It's more fun to drive and at lower speeds handles just as well.

And it's just gorgeous. Comparing the two from that standpoint it's no contest. I get way more approving looks now than I did in the Porsche. I wish I'd gotten one that had the CF bumper and diffuser, but other than that I'm happy with the car.

terminal_ac 05-21-2016 02:19 PM

One possible deal-breaker for you, based on what you said, is that the Vantage S comes only with Sportshift II transmission....

I am not sure in what context you're stating that a V8S only comes with the Sportshift II, but this not true on its face. I have a 2015 V8S, which has the 6-Speed manual.

In the beginning, the V8S only came with the Sportshift II, but in later years a manual was offered.

spinecho 05-21-2016 03:08 PM

IMO you'll get a lot more engagement from an Aston than a Porsche. This is due to many factors. A big part is the bespoke, non-mass produced feel. A lot of it, frankly, is due to the fact that the cars are not as polished and ruthlessly competent as driving machines. In the real world, where you are not chasing lap times, this means that you CAN achieve similar performance to a Porsche on the road, but you just have to work harder for it.

Re: the engine - it is not what I would describe as "free revving" in a lightweight sense, but it certainly wants revs to perform.

Re: the suspension - no harsher than most 997s.

Re: the steering - IMO among the best there is on the market today.

The V8's are better balanced and adequately quick cars, but may I suggest a V12? It will be closer, speed-wise, to your reference point, and the engine's charisma, no offence intended, puts a flat 6 with snails to shame.

Good luck with your search!

spikemd 05-23-2016 06:45 PM

Perfect quote..."cops will respect you in the Aston, hate you in the Porsche".

Astons are not about the numbers. Porsche will beat them hands down in all out performance, but in terms of a driving experience and emotional attachment, I think the Aston wins. Astons are not track stars out of the gate, but with upgrades can be quick. Its not always about how fast you get from A to B, but how much you enjoyed the experience.

I love the heavy clutch, perfectly weighted steering, short heavy shifter on my V8V, but she is a bit soft at 9/10ths and down on power compared to other cars I was running with this weekend. The only other car I would have wanted was the V12VS though.

Sit in one, take it for a test drive, does she speak to you? Can you pull your eyes away from her? You'll know pretty quickly.

Cattman 05-23-2016 06:51 PM

Watch this video:
CATTMAN

Cattman 05-23-2016 08:21 PM

One more thought. If you really are interested in performance, I can throw you a serious curve ball. 2016 Corvette Z06. Beats the pants off of anything on the road, and does it brand new for around $105k. It's truly a phenomenal vehicle and masterpiece of engineering. "But, it's a Corvette."

If Police hate you in a Porsche, respect you in an Aston, they'll ask you for a ride in a Z06.
CATTMAN

shootermcgav1n 05-23-2016 11:17 PM

Where I live, I see at least three dozen 911's for every 1 Aston I see. In fact, since I got my V8VS, I've only seen 1 Vantage and 1 Rapide. And that's over the course of two or three months.
CATTMAN

Speaking of where you live, do you go to the Caffeine & Exotics meets? if so I bet I've stood and gawked at your AM at some point. :p

Cattman 05-24-2016 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n (Post 4519565)
Speaking of where you live, do you go to the Caffeine & Exotics meets? if so I bet I've stood and gawked at your AM at some point. :p

Nope, I don't go. I used to go, but that was before I had my Vantage.
CATTMAN