Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Owner vs Enthusiast

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 12:33 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Owner vs Enthusiast

So I was at a cars and coffee the other week and a gentleman was there with his Vantage. Around here I rarely see other Astons. So I struck up a conversation and was surprised to learn that he had never visited any Aston forums. So I got to thinking......

What makes you an enthusiast versus someone that 'just' owns one.

I've come up with my list of requisites for being an enthusiast and not just an owner.

Belong to a forum - Share your enthusiasm for the brand and contribute to the vast knowledge base. Even if all you have to say is - Yeah that happened to me too.

Belong to a car club or have a regular group of car friends you do things with - Again sharing your enthusiasm for the brand.

Wash your own car - Have a pile of microfiber towels in the garage. You get to know every inch and can give tips to others on washing and waxing.

Go to the occasional group meet, car show, or cars and coffee - Here once again you share your enthusiasm for the brand with others.

Basic service - something that involves owning a floor jack and some basic tools.

Thoughts?

Old 05-21-2016, 02:15 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
I believe anyone who enjoys their car is an enthusiast.

In my mind everything else has too much "gray" to apply.

Belong to clubs or automotive forums? Not everyone enjoys social activities, or have an interest in computer-based interaction.

Wash your own car? There is so much about that which is dependent upon one's living arrangements, I don't see it as a discriminator.

Basic service? I don't do any of my own service because I want my dealer stamps all over my book should I need to sell. Yet somehow, I believe I am an enthusiast.

I have several old cars that rarely get driven, yet I derive as much enjoyment out of owning some of them, as I do out of driving the Aston People find satisfaction in the car hobby in many different ways.

I think if you have a passion for your car, you are an enthusiast.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:01 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Have an actual interest in driving? So many people think of cars as appliances. Others who buy expensive cars have no interest in driving but do it solely to pose.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:30 PM
telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !telum01 Is a GOD !
It's a pretty wide spread, I think. The main difference is whether a person sees a car as only a means of transportation, or as something more.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:49 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Old phart
So I was at a cars and coffee the other week and a gentleman was there with his Vantage. Around here I rarely see other Astons. So I struck up a conversation and was surprised to learn that he had never visited any Aston forums. So I got to thinking......

What makes you an enthusiast versus someone that 'just' owns one.

I've come up with my list of requisites for being an enthusiast and not just an owner.

Belong to a forum - Share your enthusiasm for the brand and contribute to the vast knowledge base. Even if all you have to say is - Yeah that happened to me too.

Belong to a car club or have a regular group of car friends you do things with - Again sharing your enthusiasm for the brand.

Wash your own car - Have a pile of microfiber towels in the garage. You get to know every inch and can give tips to others on washing and waxing.

Go to the occasional group meet, car show, or cars and coffee - Here once again you share your enthusiasm for the brand with others.

Basic service - something that involves owning a floor jack and some basic tools.

Thoughts?
I agree with @62Jeff. Nothing on this list is a requirement for being enthusiastic about a brand or cars in general.

Old 05-21-2016, 06:58 PM
GCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond reputeGCBC has a reputation beyond repute
not a member of any clubs, never been to a car show in my life, dont plan on attending either. ex pro racer and driver coach so ive done my share of "helping out the auto community" Im for sure the youngest multi exotic car owner that trys to avoid people on the whole internet.

the car is great, if you appreciate it, honk or say something at a redlight or gas station like everyone else.

that said, of the few dozen aston owners ive meet at the track, making a gross generalization, they are the most well heeled and ironically the youngest batch, wall street types most inline with my tastes than porsche lambo or fcar owners of the same age bracket

Last edited by GCBC; 05-21-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:02 PM
ncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to allncamv8 is a name known to all
I have met people that for various reasons don't even own a car, but when they run to talk to me about one of my cars, I can tell by the expression on their face they are an enthusiast.

If you enjoy cars, I would count you as an enthusiast. to me it does not matter if you are interested in hyper-mileage, or putting a 4" tin can on your exhaust, Rat rod, ricer, techie, if you love cars, your an enthusiast.

I've never been a us and them kind of person, so that changes my view on everyone.

Last edited by ncamv8; 05-22-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:10 PM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by telum01
It's a pretty wide spread, I think. The main difference is whether a person sees a car as only a means of transportation, or as something more.
For me I see it as something more but not just Aston Martin, everything I own, my wife says there must be a cure for that... I hope not

Old 05-21-2016, 09:32 PM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
My wife tells me there is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" when it comes to me and my cars, and she can't always be sure which side I'm on.

My definition is circular - a car enthusiast has to be enthusiastic about cars. I meet so many people who couldn't care less what they are driving, they get more excited about getting a new toothbrush...

Old 05-22-2016, 11:50 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ncamv8
I have met people that for various reasons don't even own a car, but when they run to talk to me about one of my cars, I can tell by the expression on their face they are an enthusiast.
Agree +
When in highschool I subscribed to all the mags and read every spec on every exotic released. Followed F1, Indy, NASCAR. Then asked mom/dad for a ride to where ever

Old 05-22-2016, 01:09 PM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
owner vs enthusiast? Hmm...

I see "owners" sitting in the Service Lounge tapping on their iPhones sipping latte or espresso when I'm picking up PM items at the dealer parts counter.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:17 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by telum01
By that definition a girl sees your aston and sees something more about you is an enthusiasts $$$

Old 05-23-2016, 11:45 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
any owners or enthusiasts that are Petrol heads ?

Old 05-23-2016, 01:19 PM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by captain Greg
any owners or enthusiasts that are Petrol heads ?
What is that?

Old 05-23-2016, 01:39 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jeff_335i
What is that?
if you dont know..then your not a petrol head

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Owner vs Enthusiast