6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Body shop drama (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/391131-body-shop-drama.html)

randyb 05-25-2016 02:53 PM

Body shop drama

I won't bore you with all the details, but lets just say a noted body shop in Birmingham has had my car for over 8 weeks (told me 3 to fix) and they had the parts (LH fender, bumper & hood) before I dropped off the car.

Was told 3 different times the car was going to paint, each time there was a reason it did not go the time before. Last time, they could not get the paint to match and had a paint rep in (2 weeks ago) and he basically told me not to call again and he would call me.

Then yesterday, I am talking to a woman I work with and she told me she took her car there and they were almost 2 weeks late getting it back to her, the reason 'Could not get the paint to match' :confused:.

Is this normal for highend shops to take this long?

Should note there was about 15-20 cars there when I dropped it off, kind of thinking I might need to take legal recourse soon.

telum01 05-25-2016 03:13 PM

If the shop can't get the paint to match, they shouldn't be working on the car.
Birmingham, AL? Is the shop authorized by AML to do repairs? I used a shop on the north side of Atlanta that did a really good job, might be within range for you if you're that upset.
You can use time to repair in your favor, depending on your state laws.
Lots of things can come into play for leverage that you can use.

randyb 05-25-2016 03:29 PM

Good part is, they are Mercedes certified.

bluecab 05-25-2016 08:03 PM

What's good about that if they have been screwing around with your car for two months and then tell you to piss off?
Is there an insurance company involved?
If not, I'd back up a ramp truck, load her up and tell them to eat the cost of the parts.

Montana107 05-25-2016 10:27 PM

RandyB

I live in Birmingham, AL as well and believe I know the shop you are speaking of that tailors to Mercedes. I had them do body work to a Mercedes I owned and also a BMW. This was years ago and I remember getting the "runaround" but I do recall the work was well done once completed.

You story sounds stressful and hopefully all turns out well

Best of luck

Cattman 05-26-2016 09:13 AM

AM paint is only to be done by a certified AM shop, and there aren't many. There is one in ATL, Magnum.
CATTMAN

telum01 05-26-2016 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cattman (Post 4520570)
AM paint is only to be done by a certified AM shop, and there aren't many. There is one in ATL, Magnum.
CATTMAN

That's who I used, they were great

White Rock 05-26-2016 09:31 AM

Magnum does impeccable work!

randyb 05-26-2016 09:49 AM

CATTMAN

I had my Lotus taken there when it was hit, for me the shop was really good and they were upfront, told me not to expect my car back for a couple of months. They are a little over 3 hours from me, but I am regretting not talking to them before making my decision.
The shop I took mine too, has an N400, 2 Gallardo's and several others, hence why I took it there. Just wish I could get a straight HONEST answer, instead of bull$H1t.

I HATE to be lied too, especially when I know they are lying. :mad:

embdenb 05-26-2016 11:13 AM

AM paint is only to be done by a certified AM shop, and there aren't many.
CATTMAN

Why?

telum01 05-26-2016 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by embdenb (Post 4520668)
Why?

Because it's incredibly difficult to correctly blend Aston's paint when doing resprays.

Cattman 05-26-2016 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by embdenb (Post 4520668)
Why?

Because AM paints are so complex and nuanced. My V8VS is Lightning Silver, and it has many different color metal specs/ flakes in it, that it's almost iridescent and changes color in light. In some light it just looks silver, sometimes, gray, sometimes light blue, and sometimes even violet. Do an image search on Aston Martin lightning silver and you'll see what seem to be several different colors depending on the light and the angle.
CATTMAN

randyb 06-08-2016 11:33 AM

Well, drama is coming to an end. Pulling my car from this body shop and sending it to Magnum in Marietta, Ga

White Rock 06-08-2016 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by randyb (Post 4525403)
Well, drama is coming to an end. Pulling my car from this body shop and sending it to Magnum in Marietta, Ga

That's unfortunate, but I know Magnum will take care of you. If you need a reference, Bryan Meinert is fantastic to work with!

bryanm@magnumcollision.com

randyb 06-10-2016 01:22 PM

I talked to Mike the owner and he has been very responsive.

Another note, called current body shop and told them I was picking up my car. 10 minutes later the shop calls baxk and said car is disassembled and being painted and I should have my car back by next week.

Funny how when you put pressure on, things start happening. Anyway, one way or another I will pick up my car next Friday.

Owned my car little over 6 months and have had it in my possession exactly 11 weeks.