Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What is this ,and how to remove it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 02:53 PM
Gambit is on a distinguished road
What is this ,and how to remove it?

I have this weird things by my rear wheels that look like a clear protective vinyl.
Can i peel these off?

Old 04-07-2017, 03:03 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Yes, clear vinyl. Protects your paint from rocks kicked up by the front tires. Wouldn't recommend removing it unless you're getting the whole body panels wrapped. Adding stone guards behind the front tires can help reduce the need for them, though.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:06 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
You can, they usually use a hair dryer and some releasing agent for the glue.
I would not remove the film however. You will get a lot of rock chips in that area.
Some times wax gets built up on the edge of the film and make it show up more on the edge of the film. I would use some quick detail on the edge of the film, ( soak the area) and use your finger nail along the edge of the film. Then go over it with a micro fiber cloth. It will look less noticeable.
Ron

Old 04-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Ron Avery
You can, they usually use a hair dryer and some releasing agent for the glue.
I would not remove the film however. You will get a lot of rock chips in that area.
Some times wax gets built up on the edge of the film and make it show up more on the edge of the film. I would use some quick detail on the edge of the film, ( soak the area) and use your finger nail along the edge of the film. Then go over it with a micro fiber cloth. It will look less noticeable.
Ron
I'll try to clean the edges better. but it also has some dirt spots on itself that i'm having hard time removing.. any thoughts on that?

Old 04-07-2017, 03:31 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Gambit
I'll try to clean the edges better. but it also has some dirt spots on itself that i'm having hard time removing.. any thoughts on that?
There is a spay that the clear bra installers use. I think it is called Pexus. Not sure on spelling. You can also try some very fine plastic polish with a foam wax pad as the applicator, then a micro fiber towel to remove the polish.
Ron

Old 04-07-2017, 03:43 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Gambit
You can try Ron Avery's approach above or use Ropes Diamond Polish with a microfiber applicator pad and then MF cloth to take it off. If you have a dual action orbital buffer you can do the same with a polishing pad and the polish. If you do anything near the edges, then make sure your pad, or your hand is working from the PPF to the paint. NOT the paint to the PPF. Not only will you make the edge rougher, but you will also take a chance on the edge peeling in areas.

There are videos on you tube that show how to clean PPF and also clean those edges.

You can always ask a professional installer how much he would charge to remove and re-install new PPF on those areas. I would try by hand first (using a nano polish) and if the result is not what you want, then just replace it with new

Old 04-07-2017, 03:49 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Here are two videos from the best to help you out on cleaning and removing if needed

https://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/re...a-12m-ferrari/

https://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/ho...tect-clearbra/

Old 04-07-2017, 03:49 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Or have them replaced with a new set. Over time they will look crappy, but it's better to have that than to have your paint damaged. Replace them with a new set, and you're good as new. I did that on my 911.
CATTMAN

Old 04-07-2017, 05:09 PM
Guys , thanx very much. will try to polish/clean them first, and if that doesn't work, than will remove and install new ones.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:06 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hi...There are two sources ....AMBits has the original 3m type...Xpel sells little thinner but actually wider...Both cheap...Also think about the head light clear too...Rocks kill this area...Good luck

Old 04-14-2017, 07:41 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
If you go to order new parts they are called helicopter tape. The tape was originally designed to be used on helicopters in the desert, so the sand wouldn't eat them up. I replaced them when I had the 09. I took a pice of my wife's parchment paper and taped to the car than used a pencil and rubbed it over the edge to make a template. I then used the template to cut out some expel. It wasn't hard to do and I also replaced the ones on our 911 at the same time. The Porsche is white and they were turning yellow. The oem parts are quite expensive and you can make your own with the expel film for a whole lot less.

Last edited by Gene G; 04-14-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:49 PM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Aldv
Hi...There are two sources ....AMBits has the original 3m type...Xpel sells little thinner but actually wider...Both cheap...Also think about the head light clear too...Rocks kill this area...Good luck
They're standard Aston parts, I can get them as well. About to order a bunch this week if anyone is interested Putting them on my red Vantage and doing a DIY for it as soon as they arrive!

Old 04-15-2017, 07:43 AM
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-or-clear-bra/

That was what I was looking for the other night and couldn't find it. Tells you all you need to know for repairing PPF. If not, order some Expel Ultimate then trace out the section and apply yourself. Plenty of videos showing how to apply, and since its only that piece and only in that area, should be stupid simple

Old 04-15-2017, 07:51 AM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
The good thing about Expel is that if it gets nicks in it if you park it in the sun it will heal itself.

Last edited by Gene G; 04-15-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:54 PM
kaliturbo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Redpants
They're standard Aston parts, I can get them as well. About to order a bunch this week if anyone is interested Putting them on my red Vantage and doing a DIY for it as soon as they arrive!
I'm interested in this let me know when you get them in.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.