Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

So she backs into my car....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 08:06 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
So she backs into my car....

All-in-all, I had a great day. Met up with Telum01 at the concours. Took some great photos. Chatted with some nice people too.

So I stopped to get gas for the trip home and as I'm pumping gas, this women walks out of the store, gets into her car, and backs right into my car!!

I standing there watching this entire thing develop in slow motion! I could not believe that someone could be so careless. I'm screaming, cussing, and carrying on, and her response is "I didn't mean to do it!"

Looks like I'll need a new front right fender because it's cracked. I'm not sure about the front bumper cover. I believe it's ok cosmetically since the clear bra protected it. However, it is now misaligned with the front fender.

Any idea on what a repair job like this will cost? The insurance company has already said they'll subro for my deductible. What's the deal with diminution of value? Is that something our insurance company will handle automatically?

Thanks for all input.

TAC

Last edited by terminal_ac; 06-24-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:09 PM
62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !62Jeff Is a GOD !
That stinks, sorry to hear about it.

Is this essentially the same damage as your car?
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ipped-off.html

Old 06-24-2016, 08:17 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 62Jeff
That stinks, sorry to hear about it.

Is this essentially the same damage as your car?
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ipped-off.html
Practically the same damage, give or take some minors. I'm not skimping.... This goes straight to an Aston Certified shop.

They've got Geico. So I should be good.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:22 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by terminal_ac
All-in-all, I had a great day. Met up with Telum01 at the concours. Took some great photos. Chatted with some nice people too.

So I stopped to get gas for the trip home and as I'm pumping gas, this women walks out of the store, gets into her car, and backs right into my car!!

I standing there watching this entire thing develop in slow motion! I could not believe that someone could be so careless. I'm screaming, cussing, and carrying on, and her response is "I didn't mean to do it!"

Looks like I'll need a new front right fender because it's cracked. I'm not sure about the front bumper cover. I believe it's ok cosmetically since the clear bra protected it. However, it is now misaligned with the front fender.

Any idea on what a repair job like this will cost? The insurance company has already said they'll subro for my deductible. What's the deal with diminution of value? Is that something our insurance company will handle automatically?

Thanks for all input.

TAC
You didn't mention who's insurance you're talking about. Your insurance company shouldn't be involved at all. Hers should pay out 100%. Then you go after her for diminished value of you feel there is any. I doubt that you would be able to show any loss for that though.

side note: I watched a documentary recently that explained why traumatic experiences seem to happen in slow motion. Essentially, the brain takes still pictures and puts them together as motion just like a movie reel. When your brain needs to pay attention to something important, it goes into HD mode and taking in all the extra data feels like time is slowing down.

Last edited by blue2000s; 06-24-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:50 PM
alexhuth will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by terminal_ac
Practically the same damage, give or take some minors. I'm not skimping.... This goes straight to an Aston Certified shop. They've got Geico. So I should be good.
looks like we are in the same boat but different sides! And it was my garage that backed up into me. Aka I hit the garage side wall

Old 06-24-2016, 09:52 PM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
Oh no, sorry to hear ironically telum can fill you in on what you need to do for a diminished value claim

Old 06-24-2016, 11:11 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
That sucks big time. Some people are dumb at best. I am sure it will be good as new. But it is the hassle of the whole situation that really stinks.
Ron

Old 06-25-2016, 06:05 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
I am sure her thought process was "What's the big deal, it's just a car, my insurance company will fix it?"
I hate these people
I find that I don't relax when I am driving the AM. Always trying to anticipate what some moron might do.
Good luck with the repair. As others have suggested, make sure to go to an Aston certified repair center.
I would not go after diminished value, don't think you have a case.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:13 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Just curious,
If you saw someone or something about to hit your Aston Martin.
If you knew you would only suffer a broken arm or a non permanent injury.
How many of us would throw our body between whatever it was and the car?
I am thinking a lot of us.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:43 AM
mkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud ofmkzhang has much to be proud of
I wouldnt throw my body in the way, at the end of the day its just a car and I need my health to make money so I can continue to enjoy this hobby Plus, if I injured myself I get no value out of it, if I sue for diminished value and loss of use I might get a decent size pay check out of it haha.

I would think AC has a good case for diminished value, the fact that his car is relatively new and not yet close to the bottom of the depreciation curve means the claim can be pretty big

Old 06-25-2016, 06:48 AM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Was backing up my van with a rear camera and backup beepers. Watched as a clueless young girl walks directly behind me. Then her mother comes around to tell me how I almost ran her daughter over. I went over to her husband and said - I'm sorry, you must go around all day apologizing for this idiot. And walked back to my van and pulled away.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by embdenb
I am sure her thought process was "What's the big deal, it's just a car, my insurance company will fix it?"
I hate these people
Hilarious indeed! Her son, who was sitting in the car, was highly embarrassed. He actually go it. He was like, "No mom. That's not just a car. You've hit and Aston Martin".

Originally Posted by mkzhang
I wouldnt throw my body in the way, at the end of the day its just a car and I need my health to make money so I can continue to enjoy this hobby Plus, if I injured myself I get no value out of it, if I sue for diminished value and loss of use I might get a decent size pay check out of it haha.
No way am I throwing myself in front of another car to save another car. I agree. At the end of the day, it's just a car.[/QUOTE]

I would think AC has a good case for diminished value, the fact that his car is relatively new and not yet close to the bottom of the depreciation curve means the claim can be pretty big
The car is NEW, and as mkzhang has stated is no where near the bottom of it's depreciation cure. That minor damage is going to cost me thousand, based on me losing a clean Carfax report. ANY accident that these cars get into depreciates their value.

I'm headed to drop the car of at the dealer now.... I don't want to see it again until it restored to it's original state.

I guarantee you, the person who hit my car is in for a big surprise when the bills come rolling in.

As for the person who said my insurance doesn't need to get involved, I don't have time to chase down people in these types of matters.

Last edited by terminal_ac; 06-25-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:52 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
For this small amount of damage, I don't think you have a case for diminished value, even though it will affect resale to some extent. As long as it is repaired competently, you'll be OK once the shock/anger finishes.

As for the person who hit your car, she won't be seeing any of the bills as you mention, only her insurance company will. But she may get a surprise come renewal time if the insurance company has to lay out some big bucks.

So, to take your mind off things, where are the photos?

Last edited by XJRS Owner; 06-25-2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
For this small amount of damage, I don't think you have a case for diminished value, even though it will affect resale to some extent. As long as it is repaired competently, you'll be OK once the shock/anger finishes.

As for the person who hit your car, she won't be seeing any of the bills as you mention, only her insurance company will. But she may get a surprise come renewal time if the insurance company has to lay out some big bucks.

Here's a couple

Telum01 and I....

I'll upload the rest when I get back from dropping off the car!

Old 06-25-2016, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner

Insurance companies never miss an opportunity to raise rates. I am pretty sure she will see a substantial increase when she renews her policy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So she backs into my car....