6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Negotiating on 06-08 AM V8V (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/395506-negotiating-06-08-am-v8v.html)

AMDO 08-21-2016 04:32 PM

Negotiating on 06-08 AM V8V

New to the forum and have been doing a fair amount of reading. I'm looking into purchasing an 06-08 V8V and all listings I've seen online regardless of mileage and transmission type are in the $40k range. I've seen some posts where users have said the V8V in those years with mileage in the 40k and up can be found for under $35k. Is this accurate? Where is the negotiating room on used V8V. Looking for any guidance that can be provided so I don't get taken advantage of.

SheriffDep 08-22-2016 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by AMDO (Post 4552004)
New to the forum and have been doing a fair amount of reading. I'm looking into purchasing an 06-08 V8V and all listings I've seen online regardless of mileage and transmission type are in the $40k range. I've seen some posts where users have said the V8V in those years with mileage in the 40k and up can be found for under $35k. Is this accurate? Where is the negotiating room on used V8V. Looking for any guidance that can be provided so I don't get taken advantage of.

Below 35k???? Not really seen any unless they are wrecked or very high mileage.

However--- my advise is to find a lower mileage (sub 20k) version that you want and go that route. Likely cost you 5-8k more than the higher mileage ones but you will get a better car. (40k-50k range). If your looking for a 35k car, you might end up with a 55k car after all the repairs you might have to do to keep it running, where 5-8k initially higher, might prevent that. Make sure you get a PPI done before the purchase so you know what you are looking at.

1. CHECK for Timing Cover Gasket leakage, if there, then you live with it or pay 2-4k to have repaired and that still doesn't mean they wont leak in the future. (they have to drop the engine to replace)
2. Tires will set you back approximately 1300 or so if needed
3. Worn leather is unsightly in a AM, a lot of drivers seats get worn especially if not taken care of.
4. Sub 08 models don't have the phone and music Bluetooth as standard, so if your car doesn't have them then its a fairly expensive process to get done, which most people do.
6. 07 was the new seats I think
7. Also make sure you get a 6-speed manual, seems to be less trouble and smother driving. The auto-manual is nice for some, but I found mine in a Maserati to be a pain eventually. They are the same money to replace, however don't last as long as a plain manual.
8. Plenty of people have the 06's and 07's, and love them, so a great choice for sure, but with more miles, comes more problems too. But typically on the Vantages you will be ok.

mkzhang 08-22-2016 06:24 AM

Each dealer has different margins because they took these cars in at different price points.

If a vantage retails for $45k, chances are the dealer took it in for $30k - $35k, so at $35k there might be no room to negotiate. Look for Ron's thread on his new Aston GT, he said on one of first few pages how much he got trade-in on his low mile 07. Use that as a base line and see how much above it the dealers can go.

While 35k might be a best case scenario, it would be hard to find one for that price without it being in pretty poor condition, no harm in trying tho!

Zettinger 08-22-2016 07:52 AM

That sounds like me when I started for the hunt.
"Around 40k should be sufficient for a decent Vantage."

Ended up with almost double includes shipping, taxes and warranty.

spikemd 08-22-2016 08:49 AM

Not a budiet buy

Be careful trolling for the cheapest aston. It will cost you more in the long run. You want a car that has been well maintained and should be very clean. These cars are almost never daily drivers and owners usually have a few other cars to drive. If it is dirty or has a bunch of little problems, the owner probably didn't maintain it properly. Definitely get a PPI to have someone look over it carefully. I paid a bit more for mine for the right color combo and I am very happy I did. I almost compromised for a different color and glad I held out for the right car. It took me 6 months to find a decent car.

Another thing to think about, if you are stretched thin for the purchase price, this might not be the car for you. Insurance, maintenance and repair costs can be substantial and any car purchase is a losing proposition. These cars talk to your heart not your financial brain.

shootermcgav1n 08-22-2016 02:48 PM

I had tracked V8V prices for about a year before I bought mine. The only ones I ever saw under $40k were high mileage, had a record, being sold at a questionable dealer, or all of the above. Well maintained V8Vs were all in the high 40s all the way up to high 50s depending on specifics, although for an 06-07 I'd say it reasonably topped out at 55 asking. There are a couple guys on 6speed who has the ability to pull Mannheim prices as well which could also give you a great idea of what dealers have been paying for theirs at auction.

Ron Avery 08-22-2016 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by mkzhang (Post 4552143)
Each dealer has different margins because they took these cars in at different price points.

If a vantage retails for $45k, chances are the dealer took it in for $30k - $35k, so at $35k there might be no room to negotiate. Look for Ron's thread on his new Aston GT, he said on one of first few pages how much he got trade-in on his low mile 07. Use that as a base line and see how much above it the dealers can go.

While 35k might be a best case scenario, it would be hard to find one for that price without it being in pretty poor condition, no harm in trying tho!

I can also tell you, to buy from a Aston Martin dealer so you can get the one year preowned warranty. If you look on the GALPIN web site and see my 2007, it is a great car with all of the hot Aston Martin options. You could probably get the price down a bit. Buy the best car that you can afford.
Ron

AMDO 08-22-2016 10:15 PM

I want to thank everyone for their advice. I understand that these cars can be torturous to maintain or just the expense in maintaining, however I am prepared for that. Thanks again everyone for providing a baseline on what I should be considering while I continue to search the market for an AM.

shootermcgav1n 08-22-2016 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ron Avery (Post 4552365)
I can also tell you, to buy from a Aston Martin dealer so you can get the one year preowned warranty. If you look on the GALPIN web site and see my 2007, it is a great car with all of the hot Aston Martin options. You could probably get the price down a bit. Buy the best car that you can afford.
Ron

depending on when the car was first sold/warranty started, you may not even have a full year left as they'll only cover up to 10 years from the start date.

AMDO 08-22-2016 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ron Avery (Post 4552365)
Ron

Ron can you point me in the right direction, I'm not familiar with that site. Is the car in Oxnard? I've got a close friend down there and I'm actually in Lemoore.

shootermcgav1n 08-22-2016 10:31 PM

just google galpin aston martin, they have it under their preowned inventory.

Ron Avery 08-22-2016 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by AMDO (Post 4552429)
Ron can you point me in the right direction, I'm not familiar with that site. Is the car in Oxnard? I've got a close friend down there and I'm actually in Lemoore.

The car is in Van Nuys,
http://www.galpinastonmartin.com/car...Martin_Vantage
Ron

AMDO 08-22-2016 10:42 PM

Thanks Ron

Ron Avery 08-22-2016 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by AMDO (Post 4552435)
Thanks Ron

Let me know if you need any info on my old car.
Ron

telum01 08-23-2016 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by spikemd (Post 4552183)
Be careful trolling for the cheapest aston. It will cost you more in the long run. You want a car that has been well maintained and should be very clean. These cars are almost never daily drivers and owners usually have a few other cars to drive. If it is dirty or has a bunch of little problems, the owner probably didn't maintain it properly. Definitely get a PPI to have someone look over it carefully. I paid a bit more for mine for the right color combo and I am very happy I did. I almost compromised for a different color and glad I held out for the right car. It took me 6 months to find a decent car.

Another thing to think about, if you are stretched thin for the purchase price, this might not be the car for you. Insurance, maintenance and repair costs can be substantial and any car purchase is a losing proposition. These cars talk to your heart not your financial brain.

This +1