6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Aston Martin (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin-39/)
-   -   Need help deciding what to do with my V8V (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/395584-need-help-deciding-what-do-my-v8v.html)

alexhuth 08-23-2016 06:29 PM

Need help deciding what to do with my V8V

So I haven't been driving my 2007 Aston V8V much since I got that scuff in my fender. So I stopped by a dealer on my way home from work to see how much they would give me.

He informs me that the car has an accident on the record, from before I purchased it. It doesn't show up on carfax, but on autocheck it does. So I go home pay the fee get the police reports ect. Yes indeed it has been in a minor accident and was repaired. UHG! I did not do my due diligence well enough apparently and the dealer I bought it from got me.

The car has 33k miles.

Well the dealer calls me today and says the best he can do is $28k...... probably the most underwhelming offer I could think of.

He says he could probably sell it for 38k on consignment but for 8% fee and a $200 upfront charge.

So I owe about 45k on the car. What should I do?

*****EDIT*****
I just want everyone to know. Although I am thinking of selling it, don't get me wrong, I Love This Car. I have always wanted an Aston Martin since I was a kid. The car has treated me really well. But with two kids a full time job and a bazzilion projects going on, I don't get to use it like I want to. I never get to track it, I never take it above 60 mph it seems!
It kills me to see it in the garage just sitting there costing me about $700 a month lol. I will get my dream car back one day and more, but for now I should let it burn someone else's wallet.

handyman2009 08-23-2016 06:32 PM

Keep it and drive it like you stole it, get your moneys worth out of it...

alexhuth 08-23-2016 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by handyman2009 (Post 4552712)

Probably the best advice I'll hear!

handyman2009 08-23-2016 06:39 PM

I don't know how much damaged you got but go to a good body shop and get it fixed as these cars are made to be enjoy and driven... Most people missed that and try to keep their car as low mileage as possible not to loose value... I got my 2009 V8V this year at 31,000km and tonight it just turned 39,000km and I am sure I will put another 3,000 or 4,000km more before the end of the summer. I use mine as a daily driver when it is nice outside and this summer it has been very nice in the Ottawa, Ontario region :-)

Smile you are one of the few that actually was able to buy a dream car that most people will never be able to...

Zettinger 08-23-2016 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by handyman2009 (Post 4552712)

+11
That is the only way you get your value back on this beautiful car.

In case you want to split for 28k, this would make me think of a second beauty. hilarious
I can't believe anyone would give his Aston up for that money.

PK_Vantage 08-23-2016 07:18 PM

You've got too nice of a car to junk it at $28K (or even at $38K). So if I were you, i'll just keep it keep driving it and just enjoy the heck out of it. Mine is my daily driver and I plan to do just that. I won't trade it in for anything else currently available on the market. These are very special cars and they deserve to be driven and appreciated by people who knows how to appreciate them.

shootermcgav1n 08-23-2016 09:12 PM

Keep it. Or list it at a price acceptable to you knowing it'll be quite a while before it sells, if at all.

alexhuth 08-23-2016 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n (Post 4552757)
Keep it. Or list it at a price acceptable to you knowing it'll be quite a while before it sells, if at all.

Where do you think I should list it? I thought about ebay but it could be tricky since the bank has the title.

shootermcgav1n 08-23-2016 10:14 PM

Here, Craigslist, wherever that won't charge and you can bump it from time to time.

C4Sbeebe 08-24-2016 05:50 AM

i'll be honest, you're not in an enviable position - but you know this. once you tell buyers it's been in 2 accidents (not sure of the details on the 'scuff'), you're going to get beat up on price. the dealer is stealing it from you @ $28k - especially when he admits he can likely make a $10k profit on you. sometimes you do have to take a loss to move on from certain things and you have to make that decision, but driving the sh*t out of it also sounds like the best 'deal' to me. good luck with your decision.

mkzhang 08-24-2016 06:45 AM

Wow buddy, @ 8% fee you are basically selling the car for 35k. If you list that car with that kind of miles for 36k it will be gone in a month. The f*** do you need the dealer's help for?

Someone was just on the forums looking for a car in the mid 30s, other than prior repairs the car has no reliability issue, this is like someone's dream.

Not sure of your financial situation but I would rather keep the car than to take a 20k write off.

telum01 08-24-2016 07:33 AM

If you need the money asap, sell it to a dealership. Big loss, but quick money.
If you want the money and aren't in a rush, sell it via private listing.
If you don't need the money, just keep it and enjoy it when you can.

skywagon 08-24-2016 11:43 AM

I think others have already said something similar but find a way to enjoy the car more. Consider it like buying a car you are already familiar with for $45k. That is not far off from what you would pay from a dealer with fees/taxes/etc even with the minor blemish on it's record. Some dealers would probably post the clean Carfax and ignore the Autocheck anyway (and ask more than the $38k). I know it is shady but most places only pay for the Carfax reports anyway so would never see the Autocheck report.

This is another reason Carfax/Autocheck has ruined the used car market. Some will argue that it "protects" them from buying a bad car. I would rather have a car that I know was maintained (have records for) and has a small blemish on a Carfax (minor tap that was completely repaired with factory parts by a factory authorized facility) than one that has a clean Carfax but no service records. Cosmetic issues I can see and fix; mechanical issues can hide and pop up later without warning.

rohnin 08-24-2016 12:15 PM

I lost quite a bit of money buying and selling used 2007 Vantages. The second one I paid about $49k for and similarly found out it had been in an accident (not on any reports), ended up selling for $41k after 6 months and 6000 miles (about 26k miles total?). CarMax offered around $32k, I sold to an independent used car dealer who promptly sold it for $47k after telling me most people don't care about prior body repairs

alexhuth 08-27-2016 05:12 PM

As most people suggested I have decided to just keep it and get as much joy as possible out of it.

Things I need to do now that I have decided to keep it.
1.Fix the fender and bumper: $3-5k
2.Fix the remaining leather pieces: $400 - 600
3.Bluetooth switcher kit to fix the audio: $200ish
4. NOS
5. Giant wing
6. led under carriage lights
7. sticker tons and tons of stickers

I will probably skip 4-7 :-)

Thanks for the advice everyone.